Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, Foscam came recommended to me by a friend who, like you, had 9 or 10 around his home and barn. I now have 6 and have yet to have a problem with them that wasn't caused by me, lol. I keep my eye on Amazon sales so I can purchase another one or two as spares. In fact, a couple of months ago I found one on sale for $39 vs $59 regular price. So I bought it but have yet to install it.

I've never used any brand but Foscam, but another friend of mine has and likes his Reolink. He uses it to keep an eye on his chicken house, as both the foxes and the raccoons love their chicken.

How are things in NJ in regard to the Covid-19 virus? Every time I hear bad reports coming from there, I think about you. I hope you and your family are doing well. I lost one of my neighbor friends two weeks ago. He was ambulanced to the hospital and went straight to the ICU and a ventilator. He passed about 8 days later. So stay safe.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
How are things in NJ in regard to the Covid-19 virus? Every time I hear bad reports coming from there, I think about you. I hope you and your family are doing well. I lost one of my neighbor friends two weeks ago. He was ambulanced to the hospital and went straight to the ICU and a ventilator. He passed about 8 days later. So stay safe.

Actually I had a horrid thought today concerning COVID 19. If a proven cure is not done before mosquito season hits what happens? Thankfully I did some on-line research and it seems, at this point, mosquitoes do not seem to be a viable carrier as it appears that the virus cannot replicate in a mosquito.

Did you know that a mosquito is actually a type of fly? Both are members of the Order Diptera.

Wyoming now has 94 confirmed cases with no deaths.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:44 am 
Site Admin

NJ is number 2 behind NY. We are at the outer edge of the hot zone for NYC. Our county is 9th highest in the state and we border 2 counties that are in the top 3. People are mostly taking the quarantine very seriously and it looks like we are containing the spread.
For us personally, it has put a damper on our plans to relocate to Virginia, where my wife is from and where her Mom, daughter, and our two granddaughters live. We were looking at houses online to await the "perfect" fit, but have since stopped looking since there is no way we would be able to travel down to look in person. I suspect it will now be another year before we can move.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, Win 10 did an update/restart to my system last night, and this morning I experienced another system crash. My keyboard/mouse/screen froze, and I had to do a restart using the power button.

So I went into Device Manager to see if any hardware item (e.g., USB device) had been reset by Windows to turn my computer off to save power. Sure enough I found one such device under System Devices. It was called 'Intel Management Engine Interface'.

I then used David's trick of clicking on the Details Tab and then the Bus Reported Device Description. This told me that the device was a 'PCI Simple Communications Controller', whatever the heck that is. I changed the option to NOT turn my computer off, so I guess I will see what happens tomorrow.

My two questions are:
(1) What is the particular device?
(2) Why do Windows updates keep monkeying around with my device settings like this; I mean, why does Microsoft want to power off my computer? :x

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
My two questions are:
(1) What is the particular device?
(2) Why do Windows updates keep monkeying around with my device settings like this; I mean, why does Microsoft want to power off my computer? :x

(1) The Intel Management Engine Interface handles how the CPU and mother board chips interact with other devices on the system. I won't claim to understand all of what is said here but...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

(2) Some updates to core system parts have no real choice as the original is totally removed and replaced. Since it is totally replaced it is forced to return to the default settings. I'm probably saying this wrong but it about the best that I can do.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows