Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I've been anticipating this update for a while as it is supposed to have an audio feature, DTS-X sound for when you play movies. It would compliment the Dolby Atmos feature that is in V1809. Anyway I see that the update is in neutral gear at the moment. Anyone here have some good news? Thank you!

V1903 Status per Ask Leo

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Shoot, I've had 1809 for ages but I don't rely on Windows Updates, I create an install DVD and do it manually. Here is a link to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool that will allow you to directly upgrade or create install media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

If you do this and end up having issues after the upgrade go to settings and restore previous version of Windows.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay thank you for the media creation tool link. This will definitely help. I have concerns about what I read in regards to the OS changing the drive letters, maybe not the system drive but the under drives. When these drive letters get changed they lose the links to the associated programs and data. Have you heard anything about this?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:03 pm 

Actually version 1809 is the October 2018 upgrade and that is what shows on the Microsoft download page. Actually I think that you want the April 2019 upgrade which appears to not presently be available. I saw your reference to version 1809 and it stuck in my mind...

I've not had any issues with any of the Windows 10 upgrades but would be only a little irritated if one changed my drive letters. I'd just go to Drive Management and change them back to what they originally were.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:43 pm 
welcoming committee

The letter changing on drives issue was mostly when external drives were still connected during an update. This would include any SD cards that are installed as they are seen as drives by the system.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... Actually I think that you want the April 2019 upgrade which appears to not presently be available. I saw your reference to version 1809 and it stuck in my mind...

I've not had any issues with any of the Windows 10 upgrades but would be only a little irritated if one changed my drive letters. I'd just go to Drive Management and change them back to what they originally were.

Yes I'm currently up to date with V1809. I was referring to the April V1903 update with the new sound feature added. Wouldn't changing the drive letter break the link even though you rename it? I'm sure I've had that issue at one time or another but don't remember how much trouble it caused.

dvair wrote:
The letter changing on drives issue was mostly when external drives were still connected during an update. This would include any SD cards that are installed as they are seen as drives by the system.

Does this have anything to do with the new M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe SSD that mount to the motherboard?

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Nope, M.2's are treated like normal drives. I have 2 in mine and have had no issues with letters changing. I do the Insider updates so I get a new version every couple of weeks.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:36 pm 

Even if you did see a drive letter change on an internal, say E: to D:, using Drive Management to change it back to E: should fix it I would think. An application should see drives according to how Windows has them designated, C:, D:, V:, whatever. Keep in mind that I'm talking about changing the actual drive letter, not the drive name/label.

Still, as dvair said, the issue seems to concern external drives, not internals.

I would think it doubtful that one would have an external drive associated with an application except the possibility of system images.

BTW, Windows 10 version 1903 is expected to roll out late May.

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 am 
welcoming committee

Jay and Dvair thanks for your thoughts and the new information on the release date for V1903. I know from past experience with music and video files that when the drive letter containing these files changes even though I change the letter back, I have to associate the drive to the program again. I refer to PowerDVD for my movie files library. Maybe it's just individual programs have different characteristics.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows