Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Oh, I'm waiting to see if my having to restart every 4-5 days goes away. After I recommended the settings I checked my second system and turning off the hard drives was enabled. DOn't know why it was enabled but it was.

Even though it would be odd that the crash happens when idle instead of in use but one cannot rule out a thermal issue. A few days ago I ran into this on my main system where my video would drop out, I thought I blew the video card. After a day or so of being turned off I tried it again and it booted right up with video but the video died after a couple of minutes.

I took off the side cover and saw that the inside of the case was nasty with dust and that the power cable for the case's front intake fan was disconnected. The dust buildup was from the fan being disconnected. I know that one would think that an intake fan would pull in more dust but I use used drier sheets as filters on the fan. They work quite well. The advantage of this setup is that it causes a high pressure in the case where the normal is a low pressure. The high pressure prevents crud from being sucked in through cracks and openings in the case.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that would be great if both our problems were caused by hard drives being turned off after XX minutes (60 minutes in my case). Since changing that setting to 'Never', I have not had another freeze (knock on wood).

So thanks for that advice.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:32 pm 

LOL! Any time I say 'knock on wood' I tap the side of my head. Just call me Pinocchio. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:49 pm 

Curious to know if the settings changes helped with your issue... Is all still good? I still have to restart every few days.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Curious to know if the settings changes helped with your issue... Is all still good? I still have to restart every few days.

I haven't had to restart now for a month or so. I think in my case changing the hard drive power setting to never turn off did the trick. It was previously set at 60 minutes. Knock on wood........

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 pm 

I am re-visiting this thread just to see if all is still well with your system BB...

If any crash issues have returned you MAY want to consider doing the 1903 Windows 10 update manually.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

I am now at a week without having to restart my second system after this update. This is the longest that it has gone without needing a restart since I initially went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the thing.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for inquiring, Jay. I continue to go without any crashes, but suddenly started getting BSODs. Several weeks ago I started getting daily BSODs and finally isolated it to a particular USB SD card reader that I had actually been using for years. So I swapped out card readers and no problems for past two weeks.

Just to reiterate, I was initially getting what I call system crashes, where my keyboard/mouse/screen froze and I had to do a restart using the power button.

But the BSODs are different....my screen suddenly turns blue with a message to the effect that a failure has caused my computer to cease operations and that the problem will be reported to Microsoft, after which Win 10 would be restarted. The error message went on to say that it was a "Stop Code" error, and that I could go to www:windows.com/stopcode for more info (I never gleaned much info from that Windows website that I could understand).

Since 20 May, I have had no crashes or BSODs......knock on wood. :mrgreen: But I will heed your advice and do a manual installation of 1903 update.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:04 pm 

Do the manual Windows 10 1903 if you wish but, as it does not seem to be a factor, only do if you want to do so. The crashes you got, apparently from a bad card reader, does not relate to the issue in this thread. I just figured to put out my results with the recent update in relation to our similar issues. Since your initial issue has not come back my thought would seem to be a moot point. ;)

Last bumped by jaylach on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:04 pm.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows