Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Cleaning Temp files
 Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:05 am 
welcoming committee

With the size of today's hard drives this may not be important to many but if you are like me, you like a clean, lean, fighting machine.

Disk Cleanup was not doing a very good job in Windows 10 on cleaning up these files. But upon reading a Win10 book, I discovered a second way to clean up Temp files and this works MUCH better than Disk Cleanup.

Now this is where it is located on my system, yours may vary. Go to Settings > System > Storage. Click on C:Drive > Temporary Files. Then you see a short list of items you can delete. Sometimes I have to click on Temporary Files twice to get it to register.

This process deletes many more Temp Files than Disk Cleanup does, at least on my system. Before deleting ANYTHING, even Temp Files, I always make a backup of c:drive which on my new machine takes all of about 35 seconds.

Acadia

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Temp files
 Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I understand you wanting this stuff gone but can't really see a need on a modern system.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:53 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I understand you wanting this stuff gone but can't really see a need on a modern system.

Agreed, but on a Solid-State drive space is at a premium especially when you do as many backups as I do, unless of course you're a millionaire and can afford multiple, larger solid-state drives. As the prices for SSDs come down this may indeed become a non-issue for all of us.

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:19 am 
welcoming committee

I just use CCleaner have for years. Never had a problem. I use IE 11 and Firefox all day

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
I just use CCleaner have for years. Never had a problem. ...

Yes, I used CCleaner for a couple of years and for the most part liked it but I was only using about 1/25th of its features, sort of like I do with Windows. It definitely did an EXCELLENT job on the temp files. DO NOT use the registry cleaner, I tried it once ... thank God I have backups.

Only reason I did not install CC on my new system is, again, and am trying to keep this machine clean and lean. Only exception is backup/recovery programs until I learn Win10 better. I would be embarrassed to tell you how many backup/recovery programs I have, until I really get comfortable with Win10. But on the other hand, I am now actually using fewer security programs than I have used in years.

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
chasbox wrote:
I just use CCleaner have for years. Never had a problem. ...

I would be embarrassed to tell you how many backup/recovery programs I have, until I really get comfortable with Win10. But on the other hand, I am now actually using fewer security programs than I have used in years.

Acadia

The number of Backup and recovery programs you have would not
surprise me I've been reading your posts for a long time :lol:
Good luck with it

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:40 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
The number of Backup and recovery programs you have would not
surprise me ...
Good luck with it

Thanks chas. I will only be protecting myself with so many recovery programs until I feel cozy with Win10. Then at least one of those programs will be removed from my system.

I have NEVER had to reinstall Windows, of any Windows version, since I started on my first pc 1999 (yes 1999, I was late into the game). I realized early on, just create a perfect copy of your c:drive to re-install, if needed.

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:22 pm 

And I thought I was late to the computer game, I started in September 1998 with Windows 98 First Edition. :lol:

I never seem to have much to clean up so only use Drive Clean rarely, but I have 2 drives on this new machine a 128 SSD and a 1TB normal drive. On the ordinary drive so far when I've run drive clean there's nothing to get rid of. On the SSD there are files to delete but not many.

I have Windows on the SSD plus a couple of other programs and everything else gets sent to the 1TB drive. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows