Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Two questions on Win10
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:57 am 
welcoming committee

Been using Win10 for two weeks now, two questions.

First is more a question of curiosity, not impacting me at this point-in-time. My new system is physically a smaller system, much more comfortable in my work space. As a result is does not have a built in cd/dvd burner but Puget gave me the option of purchasing an ASUS external drive which I can use via USB. It worked great for a few days, then started acting goofy, so this is the cd drive acting weird not my system, but who knows with the complication of these things. I initially created some emergency repair backup/recovery cds with this thing for my backup/recovery programs and the recovery cds work, I tested them. Then when I went to create just one more I received a 0xC0AA0301 error message. Then I tried doing other things with the drive, burning simple stuff like documents, even exe files, no problem; only problem is with creating backup/recovery media. Searched it on Google, too many things can cause this error. My question: If this burner worked initially (and still works for everything else) what would have caused it to stop working for recovery media? This is not extremely important to me because I now have recovery USB keys (thanks yet again to Peter) and because my two favorite recovery programs have pre-boot screens that don't even require recovery media even it you cannot boot into Windows.

Second question. The built-in Windows Disk CleanUp tool. It worked just fine cleaning up my Temp files on Win7, on Win10 it is missing a ton of stuff, and I understand that files/folders 24-48 hours old should not be deleted. Again, not too big of a deal because I've taken to manually deleting them. I know that I could install CCleaner to take care of it but I am trying to keep my new system as clean as possible. Any of you notice this with Win10?
Thanks much,
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm 

I've not used my USB CD drive much yet so can't comment about what may be happening. My new laptop didn't come with a DVD/CD drive either so I bought an external one.

What is missing with the Disk Cleanup program Acadia, I've used it a couple of times but as Windows 10 is very good at looking after itself there is never a lot of stuff that needs cleaning.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

This thread is for Windows 7, but appears to be the most promising for the error.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia
Personally, I would not bother. I can't remember the last DVD/CD I burned. Use the external drive for the rare CD/DVD you need to install from.

As for Disk Cleanup, yes, I've noticed that lots more junk is left behind/missed in Windows 10, but I wouldn't sweat that either. With bigger drives, and faster hardware, the junk left behind is of no concern to me. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I haven't really paid that much attention to Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 but wonder if some of the 'missing' stuff might not be included if you choose to include system files...

As to the external optical drive I tend to agree with Steve as to not worrying about it except that the system is still well under warranty. Personally I'd dump it in Puget's lap but there are things that you can easily try.

1) If the drive shows in Device Manager remove it and re-boot to allow Windows to re-install the drivers.

2) Try a different USB port. Try both USB3 and USB2 (if available) ports.

3) It is possible that the issue is due to media brand. Try a different CD/DVD brand.

4) If I'm not mistaken the routines to make a recovery CD actually create an ISO image then use that image to burn the CD. This is a totally different operation than just burning data. This could be why you can burn data but not recovery. Make sure that a file association did not get changed. You want an .ISO file to be associated with File Explorer. Any one of your security, or other, installs could cause a file association change. I actually had this happen and it removed the right click option on an .ISO file to burn the disk.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks everyone. Yes, I do include System Files but like Steve said, probably not too big of a deal, I just like a clean system and with a brand new system now is the time to start and I have no problem cleaning them manually, almost kind of fun.

Also like Steve said, the drive is no big deal. First of all I feel this is not Puget's fault just a Windows thing, that error turns out to be a little common and many things can cause it and this drive does work with everything else. I prefer to use USB keys for recovery on this new system anyways and as I said above, my two favorite recovery programs do not even need recovery media although I made them anyways, Macrium has THREE different ways that you can recover, four if you count the two different types of media. Don't think it is the cd media because Verbatim has never let me down plus I can still use them for everything else. The two programs that I made recovery cds for before the error message started automatically do the ISO when you create them, been doing this for years.

Yeah, I was just curious and both of these issues are probably non-issues.
Thanks again everyone. Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows