Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Win10 Update question
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks to Jay for reposting that link for the semi-control of the overly aggressive (in my opinion) Win10 updating.

Upon doing some of my own research I found what looks like an excellent program and from a company that I am familiar with and have a ton of respect for, novirusthanks.org. I even have one of their security programs, about the best anti-executable that you will find. But I am not going to post the link to that program, if you want it you can PM me. This is because this free program completely kills Win10 updating and I believe on all versions of Windows, not sure; toggles on and off as you wish. This company says to be careful with this program and I completely agree, I guess this outfit just believes that those who want it should have some control over their pc. But why would I want such a program, after all, we all NEED Windows updating!

I have a very powerful security program called ShadowDefender. This program “freezes” your entire c:drive, actually all drives including external, into their present state. Assuming that all those drives are clean and pristine to begin with, then you can never permanently get infected by anything, next time you reboot you return to your clean state. In other words, ShadowDefender would remove EVERYTHING but that includes all Windows Updating that occurs during that day. Next day same thing. I would be caught in a constant cycle of updating, removal, updating, removal, ad infinitum, my system would never get updated.

In my current Win7 system, when I turn it on in the morning, first I do an entire c:drive backup, then update my programs usually just my anti-Virus needs it, then and only then do I freeze my entire system. Works perfectly, my system first gets updated, then afterwards I am protected.

If I use this utility that kills Win10 updating, my plan would be to continue basically as I am already doing. Turn my system on in the morning, backup my c:drive, TURN OFF THIS UTILITY which would re-enable Windows 10 updating, then check to see if any new Windows 10 Updates are available. Download them if any, then toggle the utility back on again killing Win10 Updates, then and only then refreeze my system. My question: not being familiar with Win10, can I do Win10 updating MANUALLY? Once I re-enable Win10 Updating can I then IMMEDIATELY check for updates and download them or does Windows do this in its own good time?

Thanks a bunch, hope I explained this so it is half-decently understandable.
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, you can check for updates.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Yes, you can check for updates.

Thanks Jay, I assume that means I can also immediately download and install them? My new system may be just around the corner (again).
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Some folks have reported problems with SD and some of the new win 10 builds. I wouldn'd assume any way you worked on win 7 still will work.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I think that I'd prefer the WinAero method. Instead of turning off updates it can set to notify. When set to notify at least you know they are there even though they don't even download. One issue with turning updates fully off is that it also turns off definition updates for Defender.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I think that I'd prefer the WinAero method. Instead of turning off updates it can set to notify. When set to notify at least you know they are there even though they don't even download. One issue with turning updates fully off is that it also turns off definition updates for Defender.

Yes, I understand Jay, but please try to understand this. Under the awesome protection of ShadowDefender I can't do anything anyways, I mean I could, but then it all gets wiped out when I reboot. That's why I want to do it manually in my own time, when ShadowDefender is turned off, that's why I asked somewhere about manually updating WindowsDefender.
Thanks,
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm 
welcoming committee

In case the question about how to manually update Windows Defender, see Update Windows Defender manually in Windows 10/8/7.

Personally, I used Task Scheduler to have Windows Defender update and run a quick scan when this device was running Windows 7. The upgrade to Windows 10 kept the task and it runs every evening. I do this because the definitions are frequently updated twice a day and I want the most up-to-date definitions installed.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows