Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Where do I begin to look for what is causing my daughter's new (May) HP touchscreen laptop, running version 1709 of Windows 10, to run very slow? I had to wait five minutes for it to boot up, then any activity took much longer to complete than it should. It has 12GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive. Malwarebytes and McAfee are both running in the BG -- could that be a problem?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 pm 

I can't say for sure but I've just got an HP Touchscreen and the first thing I did was uninstall McAfee. I've not had slowdowns and I only have 8GB of RAM. Maybe it's McAfee doing the slow down.

I also have MalwareBytes, mine is the Premium version and it runs along side Windows Defender.

I have a 1TB hard drive but also a 128 solid state drive, I have the operating system and Office, plus a couple of other things, installed on that drive and send everything else to the 1TB hard drive.

When the experts see your post Gerry they'll be able to give you a better answer. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To begin I would get rid of McAfee as it is a resource hog. I would also get rid of just about everything HP especially the HP Updater.

Run Defrag and, if 10% or more fragmented, do a defrag.

Go to the Control Panel then System. Make sure that all the memory still shows.

A 5 minute boot time concerns me but at least it should be under warranty. If all else fails take it back and let the store deal with it. Sadly they may refuse saying that you have to deal directly with HP.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:09 pm 

Oh, I assume that you have done full security scans...

Also it never hurts to remove all power from the system including the battery. Hit the power button a few times and re-connect power. While I doubt that this will help in this case it would assure that the issue is not caused by a memory leak where a program does not fully restore used memory back to the system resources when closed. Unless all power is removed the system is never really all the way off. I only bring this up in this case as one can never know what a full power down can cure. Just experienced this. My Yamaha sound system for my entertainment system died. It would briefly show lights when the power button was pressed but shut back off right away. I unplugged it and let it set a bit, about a minute. Plugged it back in and all is fine.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:07 pm 
welcoming committee

All good suggestions that I will try tomorrow. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm 
welcoming committee

If it's a "NEW" new laptop, as in a Christmas present, go to the HP website and make sure the latest drivers are installed... the drivers on an installation disc that came with the laptop are likely well out of date and could well be the cause.

The 5 minute boot time would only concern me if you'd installed the latest drivers and the issue persisted.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm 

The system is 7-8 months old and the issue, I believe, started recently.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Gotcha, i just picked up on 'new', clearly 2+2+(xmas) = 5 ;)

Might still be worth looking at the Windows Update History in case Win10 has "Updated" any system drivers, simple step and easily ruled out.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Gotcha, i just picked up on 'new', clearly 2+2+(xmas) = 5 ;)

Might still be worth looking at the Windows Update History in case Win10 has "Updated" any system drivers, simple step and easily ruled out.

Agreed. :) I have Windows 10 Updates set to not allow driver updates. Mostly the only thing that ever gets updated is my video. While I've never had any issue with AMD Radeon Windows Updates drivers I'd still rather do the updates via the AMD site.
http://www.intowindows.com/enable-or-di ... indows-10/

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm clearly having some form of brain fade lol!

msconfig was a means i used to use to disable the GUI and be left with a list of fast scrolling drivers etc loading post bios, when the offending driver or file was encountered it was obvious because it would stop/hang until it was ready to move on, note the file name, search the file, update driver, problem solved usually... i can't seem to replicate that... i.e. the No GUI Boot option isn't displaying what i expected.... I'm missing something obvious in that i don't see the drivers scrolling as they load no matter what i do... i know i can do this with Win7 64 Pro, maybe not with Win10?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm 

Doddie wrote:

msconfig was a means i used to use to disable the GUI and be left with a list of fast scrolling drivers etc loading post bios, when the offending driver or file was encountered it was obvious because it would stop/hang until it was ready to move on, note the file name, search the file, update driver, problem solved usually... i can't seem to replicate that... i.e. the No GUI Boot option isn't displaying what i expected.... I'm missing something obvious in that i don't see the drivers scrolling as they load no matter what i do... i know i can do this with Win7 64 Pro, maybe not with Win10?

Not really sure what you are talking about. The only time I've seen a scrolling list of drivers loading is when booted to Safe Mode which would not include all normally loaded drivers.

Oh wait! Is this what you mean? It is under the 'Boot' tab in msconfig. I can't try at the moment to see what happens as I'm streaming a football (US) game's audio. You have me curious, I'll have to try some of these options.
Attachment:
verbose-boot-1.jpg
verbose-boot-1.jpg [ 91.77 KiB | Viewed 9647 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:

Not really sure what you are talking about. The only time I've seen a scrolling list of drivers loading is when booted to Safe Mode which would not include all normally loaded drivers.

I'll get back to you on that, i know exactly what i mean, in fact there used to be a step further back in the DOS days that gave the option to confirm (y/n) at each step as they loaded, i believe that option was removed post 95 and specific to DOS but could be wrong, either way i believe it is still possible to disable the GUI in Win7 and see the drivers loading as you see in safe mode, point being, if one has trouble loading it pauses and will be obvious where the bottleneck is... i'll need to play around and search for the option I'm thinking of but it's getting late here so it won't be tonight.

Fyi, pretty sure the settings are on Sevenforums somewhere ;)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:34 pm 

Go back and see my previous post again. I had added a possibility of what you mean. I can't remember, are you running Home or Pro? There are a lot of thing missing from the Hove version due to the lack of 'Group Policies'.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Oh wait! Is this what you mean? It is under the 'Boot' tab in msconfig. I can't try at the moment to see what happens as I'm streaming a football (US) game's audio. You have me curious, I'll have to try some of these options.

That was what i was looking at, i tried it but it left me with a black screen as Windows booted... clearly to see the drivers loading and where the problem might lie I'm missing another option somewhere.... i'll dig it out and get back to you ;)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Go back and see my previous post again. I had added a possibility of what you mean. I can't remember, are you running Home or Pro? There are a lot of thing missing from the Hove version due to the lack of 'Group Policies'.

Hehe, my turn to tell you i posted :rofl2:
7 Pro 64bit... i have no group policies enabled as far as i know ;)

I'm missing something in msconfig, i know that for a fact because i was playing around a couple of months ago and enabled the 'dos like' screen for the simple reason i used to love the way all the text used to fly down the monitor... i quickly disabled it again because it added about a minute to the boot time... so i know it can be done ;)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:51 pm 

Possibly the 'OS boot information' option? Also possibly something under the 'Advanced' option. I haven't looked there yet.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:18 pm 

OK, not what you want but may be useful.

1) Go to msconfig then the boot tab.
2) Enable 'Boot log' and 'OS boot information'.
3) Apply and restart the system.
4) Once booted open a 'Run box' and enter the following without the quotes.
"notepad %SystemRoot%\ntbtlog.txt"
You will get a verbose listing of everything that happened during the boot.

<Edit>
Phew! That was certainly an experience! For grins in the Safe Start area under the boot tab in msconfig I tried Alternate shell. Not a good thing as I ended up running Windows 10 as a command line prompt system. LOL! Half an hour later it dawned on me to type msconfig in the command line prompt and msconfig was quite happy to open up so I could turn off the alternate shell. ;) Still this was interesting. At another time I may play with this alternate shell to see if I can actually open working apps and such.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
OK, not what you want but may be useful.

1) Go to msconfig then the boot tab.
2) Enable 'Boot log' and 'OS boot information'.
3) Apply and restart the system.
4) Once booted open a 'Run box' and enter the following without the quotes.
"notepad %SystemRoot%\ntbtlog.txt"
You will get a verbose listing of everything that happened during the boot.

<Edit>
Phew! That was certainly an experience! For grins in the Safe Start area under the boot tab in msconfig I tried Alternate shell. Not a good thing as I ended up running Windows 10 as a command line prompt system. LOL!...

I wonder, could that be a new way to disable ALL Win10 snooping, err, telemetry? ;)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:05 am 
welcoming committee

I finally got back to my daughter's HP laptop and did all the things that have been suggested here. I think ridding it of McAfee did the trick. It seems to be running smoothly and the boot time is about 60 seconds vice five minutes, with the restart time coming in at about two minutes or less vice amost ten minutes. Many thanks again for the help.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 am 

Good deal Gerry. :)

Just make sure that Defender got turned back on.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Possibly the 'OS boot information' option?

Finally got round to looking at that and that's the option I was thinking of, sadly on closer investigation (i.e. utilising the keyboard "pause" button as the drivers scroll) it appears it only displays Windows drivers, 3rd party ones are not displayed so unless it was a corrupt or missing Windows file this option for the purpose i was thinking of would be useless. Oh well. lol

Even though i doubt many people nowadays would benefit from such an option it would still be a nice option to have, along with the old Win95/XP "step by step confirmation" boot menu option that those had.

Still, nice to see McAfee still haven't got their house in order, how that company gets away with labelling their software as 'anti-virus' is beyond me! :evil:

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows