Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Page Fault Stop Error
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 am 
welcoming committee

Since getting a previous Windows 10 update, during cold boots and just before my desktop comes up, I've been getting blue "Page Fault in Non-Paged Area" screens and under "What failed: nvlddmkm.sys." A search reveals that is an NVidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver located in
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Using Device Manager, I uninstalled the NVidia display adapter, which is ten years old and for which NVidia says they do not have any new drivers, and let the system re-install it after a restart. This did not solve the problem; the blue screens continue to appear at boot-up. I'd appreciate any other suggestions for a possible fix short of rolling back this Windows 10 build to an earlier one.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Rolling back is one option. Living with the BSOD at startup until a fix is deployed (you are letting Windows upload diagnostic data, I presume...) is another. Rather than uninstalling the driver and letting the system reinstall, download the driver install package from nvidia and run the installer.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Also if you use the driver install from Nvidia, during the setup process use the Custom Installation and you can select to do a "Clean Install". This will uninstall all the older drivers as part of the installation process and then install the new stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 pm 
welcoming committee

I run into a problem on the NVidia site. Under Option 2, running GeForce Experience, I am told that my product is GeForce 7600 GT with a current installed driver of 306.23, the latest driver so no update is required. Under Option 1, there is no 7600 GT listed in the product pulldown menus. I don't know how to get the proper driver package for my graphics card.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you roll back the driver you will no longer be current and should be able to download the current package.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm 
welcoming committee

By roll back, do you mean to disable it in Device Manager? If I uninstall it there, the system will find it when I reboot and I'll have the same thing. Not sure what you mean by roll back, Jay.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:02 pm 

In device Manager got to the properties then driver. You will have the option to roll back the driver. This reverts the driver back to the previous version. It is possible that you will not have the option to roll back but likely will.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Nope -- don't have that option. My choices are "Update," "Disable" or "Uninstall." Nothing about roll back.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:32 pm 

That is odd. Even if greyed out the option should show.

I suppose that you could uninstall everything NVidia from your system and then install but don't do without further input. I run Radeon video cards so my knowledge about NVidia is limited.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Since that is an older card, I would uninstall everything NVidia and go with what Win 10 installs by default.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:49 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Since that is an older card, I would uninstall everything NVidia and go with what Win 10 installs by default.

Dave, how do I do that? When I reboot after uninstalling Nvidia in Device Manager properties, Windows finds it and reinstalls it as the computer boots. What am I missing here?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 pm 

Don't uninstall in Device Manager. Uninstall everything NVidia in Programs and Features.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Yep, uninstall through the Apps section of the All Settings or Programs and Features in the regular Control Panel.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 am 
welcoming committee

Sorry, I didn't realize that NVidia was listed in Apps; thought it could only be uninstalled in Device Manager. Guess what? It will not uninstall. When I click on the two uninstall buttons and give permission for the system to do the action, nothing happens. I've tried it ten times, and three times in Safe Mode with the same results -- none. Any ideas what to try next?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am 
welcoming committee

Are you able to uninstall the Geforce Experience program? This has been to known to cause issues in the past.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm 
welcoming committee

No, I am not able to uninstall GeForce Experience. It starts to uninstall, then I get "NVidia uninstaller cannot continue," then in subdued text it states that other installations are running and that I should finish the other installations and try again. So it appears that the uninstallation of NVidia that I tried to do last night is hung up somewhere and preventing this one. I'm stuck again. As a side note, however, I did not get the blue screen today; maybe I won't get one tomorrow :-).

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm 

Did you try doing a restart after the failed un-install?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, it was an uninstall that failed last night, not an install. I’ve done a closedown and cold boot up since then. NVidia still won’t uninstall.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 pm 

Sorry Gerry. It was a typo in my last post. 'in-install' was supposed to be 'un-install'. I edited to fix the post.

At this point I have to suggest contacting NVidia support.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 pm 
welcoming committee

I used a program called DDU Uninstaller to get rid of NVidia and revert to Windows basic graphics, but the screen resolution is not what it is supposed to be. I ran the NVidia automatic scan and it told me that I have the correct NVidia driver installed, but I don't -- there is no NVidia anything on this computer. Right now I'm typing this in a full-screen display with very large letters that I can't seem to change. Any suggestions on how to change things and/or get the correct NVidia driver installed?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 pm 

The drivers that Windows installed may well be the latest from NVidia.

Have you gone to your display options to see if you can increase the screen resolution?

Have you looked in Device Manager to see what it shows under Display Adapters?

I still suggest contacting NVidia support.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Try this driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 2758/en-us

It is an older driver, but newer than the one you had installed. It says its for win 8 and older but it should work. The link is for the 64 bit version.

If you need the 32 bit one use :

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 2701/en-us

If you are able to do the install, select Custom if available and check the box to do a clean install. I am not sure if these options are available in the older driver but if they are it will make for a better installation.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 am 
welcoming committee

I downloaded the 64-bit file and ran it, Custom and then Clean Install. It installed for about 1/8 of the progress bar when the screen went black and up came my "page fault in nonpaged area" stop code. It showed the same file as the culprit: nvlddmkm.sys. I rebooted and ran the install again, this time not selecting Custom. It installed for about 1/4 of the progress bar, then the screen went black for a split second before changing to the proper resolution and looking normal. Before I could get a Hooray! out, it blacked out and gave me the stop code again. I rebooted and this time I was going to try installing the driver in Safe Mode, but when I opened the Run window to type msconfig, the resolution jumped to what it should be: 1920X1200. This astounded me because as far as I knew, it did not completely install. I went to Device Manager, and sure enough, there it was: NVidia GeForce 7600 GT, working properly!

In spite of that, there is nothing from NVidia in Apps & Features -- the driver that was listed there yesterday is not there now. I almost hate to reboot for fear it will all go to Hell again. In any case, a big thank you to you Dave, and to the others who contributed helpful information. Hopefully, you won't hear from me again on this topic :-).

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am 
welcoming committee

Windows may have installed its own driver on one of the reboots, looks like a case of automagic installation.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 am 
welcoming committee

Well, the new "old" driver from Dave didn't solve the problem. While it is working just fine, it's only after I get the blue screen when I do a cold bootup (just after my desktop comes into view) and I restart from that. All works well from that point on. Takes about three minutes.

Per Jay's advice, I contacted NVidia with the problem and here is their response: "Sorry to inform you that we do not have Windows 10 drivers available for GeForce 7600 GT on the NVIDIA website. The card has not been tested with Windows 10, hence there are no drivers available. The GeForce 7600 GT supports upto Windows 8 operating system." Regardless, the NVidia card has been working perfectly in Windows 10 until a Windows update came along. So I guess I can (1) just live with the annoyance, (2) roll Windows 10 back to an earlier build or (3) buy a new graphics card. I hate to roll Windows back as I'm now running Version 1709, Build 16299.5, which I understand is the public Fall Creators Update. The current card is very good once I reboot from the blue screen, so can I justify the expense of a new card? I'm inclined to live with the annoyance.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows