Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OK, I THINK I have this figured out. There are two ways to go depending on where your system hardware fails. If you are able to enable TPM 2.0 or TPM 1.2 (Trusted Platform Module) and Secure Boot in your BIOS you can use the first method to do an upgrade install from Windows 10. If your system does not have TPM and/or Secure Boot you will need to do a clean install using the second method. The following two methods will only deal with the following hardware failures:
  • You do not have a system that supports TPM version 1.2 or greater for an upgrade install or no TPM at all for a clean install.
  • You do not have a system that supports Secure Boot. This will only work for a clean install.
  • Your system has a CPU that is unsupported. This works with an upgrade install and SHOULD work for a clean install but this I have not personally proven.

Method #1. Doing an upgrade install from Windows 10.
This will only work on systems that fail on the CPU and has, at least, TPM 1.2 and Secure Boot.
(I have not personally proven the TPM 1.2 aspect.)
Warning!!! You do this at your own risk as it involves a registry addition that could damage your system if not done correctly.

The easiest way to do the upgrade from Windows 10 if you have the ability for Secure Boot, at least TPM 1.2 and your CPU fails is to just download the following registry hack file and enable. The manual method to apply this hack is included in 'Hack #1' within 'Method #2'.
https://jaylach.com/downloads/Enable-Unsupported-Upgrades.zip
You could do this hack manually, but that increases the potential risks. After applying the hack just go ahead and do the upgrade. As long as you have TPM 1.2 and Secure Boot this should work.

Method #2. Doing a clean install of Windows 11.
This will include three possible registry hacks that will be applied during the Windows 11 install.
You should attempt a clean install before going on with this and then only apply the needed hacks.
There is not much of any risk doing these hacks as they apply to the installer only.
Since you are doing a clean install there is no risk of damaging an existing Windows install.

OK, let's see what hacks are needed. Attempt a clean install and see if there are any failures as to supported hardware. If there are no failures the install will just go on without any hacks being needed. If this is the case you have no need for this article. If you come up with any of the following three failures continue reading. At this time I have no solution for other hardware failures.
  • CPU is not supported; hack #1: This will bypass the CPU check and is also reported to allow TPM 1.2 instead of needing TPM 2.0. Unfortunately I don't have a system with TPM 1.2 so I cannot actively tested this aspect.
  • Your system has no TPM at all; hack #2: This will allow a clean install on a system that has no TPM ability.
  • Your system does not allow for Secure Boot; hack #3: This will allow a clean install of Windows 11 on a system that does not support Secure Boot.

So you tried a clean install and it failed due to unsupported hardware on any of the above three items. On a clean install you will get at least far enough to see the option for a custom install. This is the option you will want to select so that you can do the installer registry hacks. You MUST select to do a custom install to have this all work.

So you now know what is needed as to hacks but you still need to start the clean install before you can apply any of the hacks. After starting the install let it go to the point where you get the failures then click the 'back arrow' located in the upper left. Apply the needed hacks and then continue with the install.

The hacks!
First thing is that you have to be able to apply the hacks. After clicking the back arrow when setup fails due to one of the issues, hold the 'SHIFT' key and then hit 'F10'. This will open the installer's Command Prompt. Now type in "regedit" without the quotes and you will be in the installers registry where we can now apply the needed hacks.

Here are the hacks. Since we are in the installer's registry editor I suggest that all of the needed hacks be applied at the same time.

• Hack #1, CPU fails and/or you only have TPM 1.2
    1. In the left pane of the registry editor navigate to the following section:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup
    2. Right-click in the right pane on MoSetup, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and enter the following text as the name: AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU
    3. Double-click the “AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU” and set the value to “1”, and click “OK.”
    4. Close both the registry editor and the command prompt and continue with the Windows install.

• Hack #2, No TPM at all or you don't want to enable.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
    2. Right-click in the right pane on MoSetup, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and enter the following text as the name: BypassTPMCheck
    3. Double-click the “BypassTPMCheck” and set the value to “1”, and click “OK.”
    4. Close both the registry editor and the command prompt and continue with the Windows install.

• Hack #3, No Secure Boot or you don't want to enable.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
    2. Right-click in the right pane on MoSetup, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and enter the following text as the name: BypassSecureBootCheck
    3. Double-click the “BypassSecureBootCheck” and set the value to “1”, and click “OK.”

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows