Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 11 release date
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Looks like Windows 11 will be officially released on October 11th, 2021.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/windows-11-details-are-here-features-release-date-and-everything-you-need-to-know/ar-AAOiQTW?ocid=uxbndlbing

The release will go to newer systems first with full deployment figured to be mid 2022.

Not all systems will meet the system requirements and, on those systems, Windows 11 will not show up in Windows Updates. However, even though I can't yet prove, I suspect that it may still be able to be installed manually. Personally I consider some of the system requirements over kill such as Secure Boot (Set in your UEFI BIOS) and TPM (Trusted Platform Module 2.0).

To see if you have UEFI click on 'Start' and type in msinfo32 and tap 'Enter'. Select 'System Summary'. BIOS Mode should show as UEFI and Secure Boot State should show as On. On my main system Secure Boot was off, and after going through a couple of hoops in my UEFI Bios, I enabled. Doing this really messed with my UEFI video output so I disabled again. I'll enable again if I actually need to do so.

TPM I don't seem to have.

<edit>
Take THAT Secure Boot! :mrgreen:

I have Secure Boot enabled again with no disruption to my UEFI display. The display problem was that I had to disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to enable Secure Boot. Disabling CSM, on my UEFI, disrupts the UEFI display as moving the mouse over anything would make it disappear. I was still actually able to navigate the UEFI screens and everything worked but it was a pain.

Then I had a thought which is often a dangerous thing for me to do. :mrgreen: What if I disabled CSM and enabled Secure Boot then rebooted back to UEFI and enabled CSM... So I tried it and it went as I hoped. I now have Secure Boot showing as enabled/on in both my UEFI and within Windows through msinfo32 and my UEFI display is totally fine. :)

I love it when I can 'fool' a system to do what I want when it tries to say I can't! :shock: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Windows 11 should be able to be manually installed on "unsupported" systems -- including older processors. The caveat is that you may then be dealing with manual updates going forward as Windows Update will not offer some updates to unsupported systems. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over time. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 pm 

I saw this announcement a few days ago, I'd already checked my HP but can't put it on this machine as there's not enough room.

I want to get a new machine that is capable of running the new OS and keep this one as 10 so I can still help out in the forums I belong to.

It's funny that at the end of last year there were half a dozen computers in this house, a mixture of desktops and laptops, and now there is just one. :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:54 pm 

I'll put it on my main system IF it will upgrade instead of needing to do a clean install. As to my second desktop, laptop and Surface... will just have to wait and see how it goes.

Before I install on any physical system I'll do my current Windows 11 virtual machine.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:57 pm 

Oh, I also hope to install Windows 11 through Boot Camp on my MacBook Air.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Am I understanding this correctly that if my machine boots with UEFI mode that it will run Windows 11? That would be a relief not having to rebuild my computer with a new motherboard. I replaced the MB when Win 10 came out so I could use this new slim Samsung SSD.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb/p/20-147-742

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:57 pm 

Windows 11 will also want Secure Boot and TPM. I can't say for sure but, if either are missing, it is likely that a manual install would be needed instead of going through Windows Updates.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Windows 11 will also want Secure Boot and TPM. I can't say for sure but, if either are missing, it is likely that a manual install would be needed instead of going through Windows Updates.

I have enabled Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 in the Bios. All should be good for auto update of Windows 11 when it happens.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:25 pm 

From what I've seen you should be good to go assuming that your system has the following:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with at least two cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or SoC
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Storage: 64GB
  • System Firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
  • TPM: Trusted Platform Module 2.0
  • Graphics Card: DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver
  • Display: 720p, 8-bit per color channel, at least 9-inch diagonal
  • Internet Connection and Microsoft Account: Windows 11 Home requires an active internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete initial, first-use setup of the operating system, or when switching a device out of Windows 11 Home in S-mode.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows