Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:17 am 
Fearless Leader

You're welcome, and good luck, Gerry. I do know what a time and energy drain things like this can be, and I don't expect you to devote yourself to it full time. ;) Let us know how you are progressing.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 am 
welcoming committee

gmfry wrote:
jaylach wrote:
You cannot attach a file with the quick reply, you have to click 'Post Reply' to go to the full editor.

Thanks, Jay. Here is what I am seeing in the MSE History. It's the same thing repeated, and the time stamp is always the current time.
Gerry

What is happening here is MSE is detecting and quarentining items from your trojan but NOT cleaning /deleting the "causal" executable parasite(s). The only good thing is that the threat seems medium level (but we can't be sure of that). Make sure you have set it to delete not just save them.

When I suggested a restore I meant from an image backup well prior to the infection. Say 2 to 3 weeks ago. For what it is worth, I happen to use Paragon Backup and restore. I would be :oops: to tell you how often that has saved my setup from my own foolishness.

Let us know what happens with the ESET on line scan.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 pm 
welcoming committee

The ESET scan found no threats after 5 hours and 15 minutes of scanning. So far this morning there have been no pop-up alerts from MSE, and the History list on MSE is empty for the first time in four days. Later today I will try the links that Steve has posted.
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:23 pm 
Fearless Leader

Good, Gerry. From what I was reading, I suspect the uninstall is what was needed. I think this infection was more annoying than malicious.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

gmfry wrote:
The ESET scan found no threats after 5 hours and 15 minutes of scanning. So far this morning there have been no pop-up alerts from MSE, and the History list on MSE is empty for the first time in four days. Later today I will try the links that Steve has posted.
Gerry
Escalader wrote:
gmfry wrote:
jaylach wrote:
You cannot attach a file with the quick reply, you have to click 'Post Reply' to go to the full editor.

Thanks, Jay. Here is what I am seeing in the MSE History. It's the same thing repeated, and the time stamp is always the current time.
Gerry

What is happening here is MSE is detecting and quarentining items from your trojan but NOT cleaning /deleting the "causal" executable parasite(s). The only good thing is that the threat seems medium level (but we can't be sure of that). Make sure you have set it to delete not just save them.

When I suggested a restore I meant from an image backup well prior to the infection. Say 2 to 3 weeks ago. For what it is worth, I happen to use Paragon Backup and restore. I would be :oops: to tell you how often that has saved my setup from my own foolishness.

Let us know what happens with the ESET on line scan.

5 hours for an eset scan? that is excessive for you to suffer through! Sorry I ever suggested it!

Out of concern what is your connection speed?

Board index » Technical Forums » Security