Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Back already.

After wiping my hard drive and reinstalling the OEM software I downloaded and installed Firefox.

When Firefox was installed it brought three programs with it: FindWide, which was able to be uninstalled, Yontoo which will not uninstall, and Tarma Installer.

Going to control panel>programs>uninstall results in a dialogue box requiring one to click 'yes, uninstall Yontoo. Upon clicking yes there is a short delay and another dialogue box appears with the message that Tarma Installer has encountered and error and has stopped working. It also says that Windows is searching for a solution and will close the application.

A search give several site purporting to be able to uninstall Yontoo, but after my last experience with File Restore I'm leery of them.

Any advice on how to get rid of Yontoo and it's associated installer?

Thanks.

Ron

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Try this page from Yontoo support:

http://www.yontoo.com/support.aspx

Click the How do I unistall link.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Interesting, upon visiting the yontoo (which I have never heard of) link that dvair posted above, My Wot gave me the minor (yellow) warning. My question is, and I feel it is even semi-important: how the heck did yontoo and the other program get involved with a Firefox install? :dunno:

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Getting more and more prevalent, Acadia. It is a money thing. The user installs the garbage and there is a kick back. Many times this stuff is not put in by the author, it is done by the download site. It would not surprise me if this Firefox download was not from mozilla.org... but then it would not surprise me that much if it was. I just installed Firefox on my Windows 8 install the other day but can't remember if there were any added installers.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:47 pm 

Just un-installed and installed Firefox again on my Windows 7 side and the download from mozilla.org is still a clean download. Nothing came up during a custom install and nothing in Programs and Features. Can't say anything about an auto install as I don't use them. This is one of the reasons that one should always download from the author's site if possible.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the quick responses all.

I downloaded from Mozilla.org and assume that's where Yontoo came from. It's doubtful, but possible, that it came from Nikon.com or Goldwave.com, the two other sites from which I downloaded.

The unistall instructions from Yontoo.com are what I have been trying to do with no luck. I have tried to disable it using the 'manage add on' feature in Internet Explorer, but find it isn't listed there as an add on. That and the fact that it keeps giving and error message that prevents unistall makes me more than a little nervous.

Microsoft Security Essentials has scanned twice since everything was downloaded, but I'll try it again this afternoon. Both were full scans, by the way.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

My money would be that it came from Nikon.com or Goldwave.com as I just did an download and install from mozilla.org and saw nothing in relation to any of the added garbage that you mention during the install. Nor do I see anything in Programs and Features.

If you are going to look at two as potential malware do you have MBAM installed and if so have you scanned? If not installed you probably should.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp/?utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=download%20mbam%2B%7C%2Bdownload%20mbam&utm_campaign=Search%3A%20Brand%20-%20US&utm_content=1333723421

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm 

You beat me to it suggesting MalwareBytes Jay I was just going to recommend trying that to see if it could get rid of it. I'd never heard of it before.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 am 

AHA! Are you on Face Book? Yantoo is a browser extension designed to all modifications to your Face Book pages. There is a pretty involved way to remove this manually but Spybot S&D is supposed to do a decent job of removal. Personally I'd try MBAM first.

Tarma actually looks to be a legit program to build Windows install packages. Should be able to un-install via your Control Panel.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 am 
welcoming committee

Hello all. My apologies for not responding sooner. A busy schedule, including a trip to Phoenix for a NASCAR race, kept me away from the computer. Now, back in Montana, time for computing is again available.

When I did have time Malware Bytes was downloaded. It found nothing. My wife uses Face Book and her notifications show up in email on my computrer, but I don't open them or go on facebook on this computer.

From everything I can find Yontoo is, as you said above, a program used to build Face Book pages. Some claim it is also spyware. In the end it appears to be benign, but I'm fussy about what is loaded onto my computer.

I'll give Spybot S&D a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ron

Board index » Technical Forums » Security