Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Have to give credit to my LG TV. Someone that must be visiting a neighbor tried to access the TV. The set threw up a warning that mobile access was being attempted and even gave the info that it was an iPhone and the name on the phone was Emily. Was given the options to allow, disallow or block. Of course I blocked.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:20 pm 
welcoming committee

I've seen the same on my Samsung TV, never quite worked out if it was a neighbour choosing the wrong device to connect too at their end, or if it was an attempt to hack my system... like you i always block them... that reminds me i need to hardwire my TV and disable the Wifi it's currently set on... I'd never connect my PC to a wireless setup so why would i allow my TV to be on wireless when it could be a potential backdoor to my PC?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:41 pm 

Good idea as to going wired instead of Wi-Fi. I just may do that. Since I retired my Asus laptop I think that I have two open ports on my router and a few cables. My two desktops are wired but my Macbook Air, MS Surface and micro system have to be wireless as they have no Ethernet port. Actually there is/was some bad stuff out there that attacks routers but a router re-boot kills most, if not all, of it. I used to have my Belkin router set to automatically re-boot every day at 4:00 AM when I'm usually in bed but a while back I changed to only once a week... Not really sure why I did that and MAY go back to every day. The only problem there is that it is not unusual for me to do an all night binge stream of a series I like. The stream buffer on the LG just isn't quite big enough to survive the re-boot but that is minor.

Note that I said I retired the Asus laptop, not that I killed. ;) When new it was a beast but is 12 years old. Actually it still runs Windows 10 just fine but has gone through its second battery and the corner desk it was on is no longer present since I re-did my living room so I put it and its cooler base in its case and it now lives in hibernation in my bedroom closet. :mrgreen: Shoot, with all the other systems I mentioned I don't need the old Asus anyway and I didn't even mention the old Dell laptop running Linux Mint. Ya, I have WAY too many systems... Mayhaps I should get a life. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

I recently changed ISP from 500GB down and 50 GB up... to full fibre (with a new router and setup), 1GB up and down for less money (actually quite a lot less money so it was a no-brainer)... the one thing now you mentioned it was i allowed my TV to connect to the new router temporarily via wireless and i completely forgot about that, so i really need to change that asap since my TV is capable of ethernet and i have a spare ethernet port on the router.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Mayhaps I should get a life. :rofl2:

Sadly i think you are long past that reality :rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:21 pm 

Shoot, if I had your upload speed I'd run my own server for my sites and stop paying for hosting. I have all the needed software and have tested a long time ago and it works but my connection is only 100Mb/sec down which is fine but my upload is only 5Mb/sec. I could switch to a Spectrum business account which would give me enough upload speed but cost increase would cost me more than what I pay for hosting. Living in a small town I don't have a lot of choice as to an ISP although I keep considering switching to CenturyLink but also keep procrastinating. I think what holds me back is that CenturyLink is DSL. Things are probably better now but when in Florida I has AT&T DSL for a while and it was nothing but a pain. If I ever do switch it would save me money but drop my download from 100Mb/sec to 60Mb/sec which is not really an issue as there is nothing streaming that needs more than 30Mb/sec.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:23 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:
Mayhaps I should get a life. :rofl2:

Sadly i think you are long past that reality :rofl2:

LOL! Don't you dare try to throw reality at me! I MUCH prefer the fantasy in which I exist. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

HAHA!!! :rofl2: :lsabre:

Board index » Technical Forums » Security