Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi guys,
recently I have gotten several blue screens of death

Of the several error messages I received the common feature seems to be a problem with anti-malware programs. For example, the last error message was Netio sys. I tried all the fixes leaving only the possibility of a malware program issue. An article suggested Malwarebytes as the culprit. Does anyone have any information on this subject?

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Have you recently upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004? If so you probably need to upgrade your version of MBAM. Still Netio.sys actually has nothing to do with MBAM as far as I found. The most common cause I've found for an error caused by Netio.sys is the network drivers on the system. I would suggest that you look for updates for both wired and wireless network adapters. Just the name Netio.sys would tend to point toward a network issue as I see 'Network Input/Output' in the name.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure if BSOD is included in symptoms, but this article pointed to performance issues on v2004 of Windows 10 and how to resolve that. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/malwarebytes-causing-performance-issues-in-windows-10-2004/

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 pm 
welcoming committee

joemonte, GG and I were both having a problem with Malwarebytes recently, not a blue screen, but something else. Did some research and also experimented. Something that you can try that won't hurt because you can always undo it: add netio.sys to Malwarebytes Allow List, that is found under Settings.

Also, this may help but you may have already seen it:
https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-fix-netiosys-blue-screen-errors-on-windows-10
This article mentions Malwarebytes by name, along with a few others security programs, and suggests temporarily disabling it. First, I would try simply adding netio.sys to the Allow List instead of killing the entire program. The article that Steve posted mentions killing the Ransomeware feature. That is what GG and I had to do, but only for a certain file, we were able to keep Malwarebytes running.

Good luck, Bill

Last edited by Acadia on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks guys,
First, i have NOT upgrades to Build 2004. I'm still very leery.

Bill, Since I have not upgraded I don't think your article really applies but Acadia et al may be on to something. I'm to take Acadia's suggestions. I Will advise.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm 
welcoming committee

joemonte, I edited my response above. Also, GG and I have not updated to 2004 either but still had Malwarebyte problems, believe a false postitive in Ransomeware protection.

Bill

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm 

I still say that the first step would be to see if there is a driver update for the network adapters. After I first posted I went to Device Manager and checked for driver updates for each and every network device. There was, if fact, an update available for my main system's wireless. Since I use wired network cables on all my systems I don't know if there would have been an issue if I were to be using wireless but driver issues with a network is one of the most common causes of the reported error.

@ joemonte: Especially since you have not upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 I would suspect a driver issue. If that failed I would then allow the install of the newest beta version of MBAM. The enabling of the beta version of MBAM can be enabled through the General tab of MBAM's settings. If this all failed I would then add netio.sys to the MBAM exceptions but not before. I won't do a security exception unless I have no choice.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:28 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... I won't do a security exception unless I have no choice...

When you exclude a file from protection in Malwarebytes, it gives you three choices: Exclude from all detections, Exclude from detection as malware or potentially unwanted item only, Exclude from detection as ransomeware only.

If you go the exclusion route, do what I and others elsewhere have done, choose the third option, ransomware only. For some reason Malwarebytes has been having a fair amount of problems with their fairly new Ransomeware module. I only excluded one file, and only for Ransomeware, that file is still being protected for everything else by Malwarebytes. (Not to mention that Windows Defender is still keeping an eye on things).

Joemonte, remember, we may be having completely different problems so this may not apply to you, good luck.
Acadia (Bill)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 am 
welcoming committee

Hi guys,
Since I posted last much has happened. I got another Blue screen but this time when i rebooted I got into a loop concerning automatic repair. I could not get past it so i contacted Dell and one of their techs resolved that problem. He went on to look into the Blue screen issue and found one issue is with Acronis True Image.

I intend to discuss the issue with Acronis today. Since it may be necessary to uninstall Acronis I would be interested in any suggestions about what back up programs you would suggest. I like Acronis but if it necessary it will have to go.

Again thanks for your advice.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:48 am 
welcoming committee

joemonte wrote:
...Since it may be necessary to uninstall Acronis I would be interested in any suggestions about what back up programs you would suggest...

I have 6 (that's not a typo, six) backup/recovery programs on my system. I someone were to hold a gun to my head and told me that I could only keep one, it would be Macrium Reflect. There is even a free version. I am not going to go into detail about its reliability and dependability, there is plenty of that on the Internet.

And actually, you already have a program on your system and I am NOT talking about System Restore. Microsoft brought over the built-in mirror imaging program from Windows 7 and put it in Win10. They hid it but it is there, it is even still called "Windows 7 Backup" or something like that. It is old, slow, and clunky, but it is very reliable.

I hesitate to recommend Image For Windows by Terabyte. It is geeky and hard to use, I had to have the late Peter2150 help me use it. I only recommend it because it is as reliable and dependable as Macrium. There is no free version.

Finally, I can highly recommend Aomei Backupper, and there is a free version. Peter liked this program which says something. Also, even stated in magazine articles, this program is very easy to use.

Good luck, Bill

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 pm 

I use Acronis True Image but it is not installed on my system as it is a resource hog. When I had it installed I made a recovery disk and now just boot to that whenever I want to do an image or clone.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

great idea Jay, I will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security