Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Just recently (yesterday 11/14) I had an issue with Sandboxie and went to the home page. I knew about a year ago that Sandboxie was bought by Sophos Security. Much to my surprise I saw the text in blue on the Sandboxie home page. I know there are a few members that use this software. I'm a little miffed in that I purchase a lifetime subscription and now it's going to be free.

Another thing I noticed while poking around in Windows 10 is that there is a Microsoft version of sandbox located in Windows Features. (See the picture) I'm curious if anyone has used this and what you thought of it?

Quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SANDBOXIE VERSIONS

Sophos is excited to announce that we are making Sandboxie a free tool, with plans to transition it to an open source tool.

This new evolution of Sandboxie is one we are enthusiastic about, but that does not mean this was an easy decision to make. Sandboxie has never been a significant component of Sophos’ business, and we have been exploring options for its future for a while.

Frankly, the easiest and least costly decision for Sophos would have been to simply end of life Sandboxie. However, we love the technology too much to see it fade away. More importantly, we love the Sandboxie community too much to do that. The Sandboxie user base represents some of the most passionate, forward thinking, and knowledgeable members of the security community and we didn’t want to let you down.

After thoughtful consideration we decided that the best way to keep Sandboxie going was to give it back to its users – transitioning it to an open source tool. We will release more information about the open source project as we continue to work on the details.

Until the open source transition is completed we have decided to make all restricted features of Sandboxie completely free.

Attachments:
Windows Sandbox.png
Windows Sandbox.png [ 56.33 KiB | Viewed 5664 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:44 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Thanks for the info Terry. :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Your welcome! Just trying to help any way I can. I watched a YouTube video about this and learned that this program creates a virtual environment for testing apps and programs. I don't know if you can save to your main system because I haven't tinkered with it yet.

Windows Sandbox Video

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi, Ritzter13, a couple of things. Since your last post, Nov.15, you may have "tinkered" with the fairly new built-in Windows Sandbox. If not, I have. I like it overall but will probably never use it. It is quite powerful, works, and easy to use. The thing is, it is not as flexible as Sandboxie. The only program that comes already and always installed in Windows Sandbox is Edge. If you want to use any other browser, you have to install it, then guess what? If you close the Sandbox, the next time you use it, you have to re-install that other browser: the sandbox kills EVERYTHING and there is no way to save anything for next time. Edge stays there because Microsoft designed it like that but you cannot even save any settings or bookmarks in Edge, very impractical (if I am wrong about this, somebody please let me know). The only thing that I can see using the built-in sandbox for is testing new software unless it needs a re-boot. It would be excellent for testing stuff because once the sandbox is closed, you're clean, just like a Virtual Machine.

Second, don't know if you've been following the lengthy thread at Wilders about Sandboxie. Some new and exciting developments are happening. Here is the link:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-acquired-by-invincea.357312/page-251
start with post number 6252. The future of Sandboxie is once again starting to look bright.
Take care and good luck, Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Bill,
If you close Windows Sandbox everything is erased. That includes any favorites saved in Edge. Edge in the sandbox is only a link to start it.
As far as I know that is the way it is currently designed.
I was able to add Favorites and use them as long as I did not close the SB program.
Also rememberi.ng PWs and the like

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:32 pm 

Windows sandbox is NOT sandboxie. It seems to be designed for isolated cases needed by developers which is probably why it is not available on Home editions of Windows 10. It is also designed for totally safe web browsing.

I'm going to go away and do a clone of my system drive then enable Windows Sandbox. I'll come back with what I see...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Correct, Jay, Windows Sandbox seems to be designed for two things, safe surfing and software testing (if you do not need to reboot for installation). As Bill G. stated, Edge inside of Windows Sandbox will save bookmarks and settings until you close the Sandbox.

Another difference between Sandboxie and Windows Sandbox, I believe (again someone correct me if I am wrong) that the Windows sandbox is the ONLY security you have when you use it, no anti-virus inside the Sandbox to kill keystroke loggers, etc, unless you install one, which you will have to do every time you use it. Sandboxie allows your anti-virus, Malwarebytes, etc, into Sandboxie so they can do their jobs. SANDBOXIE ALLOWS THINGS IN BUT NOT OUT. Windows Sandbox does not allow anything in. The only thing inside of Windows sandbox is Edge and whatever you installed inside.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:25 pm 

OK, I took a 10 minute look and the thing looks, to me, to be pretty useless. It looks to be no more than an isolated virtual machine but more restrictive as you can't save anything. Think of XP Mode in Windows 7 but MUCH less functional. Shoot, it does not even come up as activated which I guess doesn't really matter as, once closed, it is gone anyway.

I admit that I only took a quick look but, in my opinion, I would only use it if going to questionable web sites or testing the effects of new software before installing on the real machine.

Since it isn't hurting my system I MAY leave I enabled but this is not an option for normally running your system. You would do better, in my opinion, to use VirtualBox and set up an actual virtual machine that can actually be put to productive use. Again, it is just my opinion but this thing is a toy unless you are a developer or visit dangerous sites.

It DOES seem that Defender is operational as to security but not entirely unless you sign into a Microsoft account each time you use the thing.

You MAY also want to look at the actual Sandboxie but I can't really comment as to that as I have never used.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm a great fan of Sandboxie...have been for 11 years now. I activate it right after I activate Shadow Defender.
That's right, you can't test anything that requires a reboot. Can't update anything, either. It'll all be lost on shutdown.
Also, you can't keep any email that you open. I use Mail Washer for that reason.
But you can save any download to a second hard drive, though.
Wouldn't want to be without it.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 pm 

Smitty wrote:
I'm a great fan of Sandboxie...

Hi Smitty, nice to see you :)

While I don't use, I respect what Sandboxie does. It is a great package just not suited to how I use my system. I just don't want to "jump through hoops" to actually install something that will survive a re-boot. LOL! That is why I run virtual machines. While not the same as Sandboxie the virtual machines sort of serve the same purpose. If I want to experiment I just make a copy of the virtual machine hard drive and experiment to my heart's content. ;) Nothing wrong with either method as it is one of those things where one should do what better serves their purpose.

The thing here is that we are not really talking about Sandboxie but, rather, Windows 10 Sandbox. They just are not the same thing. While I respect what Sandboxie can do I just don't feel the same about Windows 10 Sandbox. Unless you have a specific use for Windows 10 Sandbox it just looks like a toy to me.

Please understand that I am NOT putting down Sandboxie. I'm putting down the Windows 10 Sandbox. :)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:24 am 
welcoming committee

@Jay: I pretty much agree with you. Windows built-in sandbox is powerful but pretty much useless, a toy.
@Smitty: Sandboxie, still my number 1 favorite security program after all these years! :tup: And guess what my second favorite is: Shadow Defender.
Bill

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay for doing some personal experiments. I have never run a virtual system. Is how to do that explained in the CH archives that you might point me the way?

@Arcadia & @Smitty how do you feel about Sandboxie today? Now that it has become an open source program do you feel it's still as strong as before it was sold to Spohos? I find that it doesn't perform as smoothly as it did before when Ronen Tzur owned and maintained it.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Terry, I only use SB for the most simplest task, surfing the Net with my browser, nothing else. For that simple use, I sincerely have not noticed any difference. I am using version 5.33.2, I believe that is open source, I don't remember. The experts at Wilders are suggesting 5.33.6 because it will supposedly work with the next Windows 10 update, if that is the case, I will obviously be installing that soon.

There is a ton of good info in that Wilder's thread by some real experts that are WAAAAAAAAAAY over my head.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:34 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
Thanks Jay for doing some personal experiments. I have never run a virtual system. Is how to do that explained in the CH archives that you might point me the way?

Do a search for either 'virtualbox' or 'virtual machine' and you will find many links to posts. I'd go with the older ones first.

The questions are why do you want a virtual machine and what would you want to do on it. I use them pretty much due to my liking to 'play' with systems and it is safe in a virtual machine. Keep in mind that a virtual machine will never be as powerful as the physical machine on which it is hosted.

If you just want stronger security I have to advise that you go with Sandboxie instead of a virtual machine. Personally I find Windows Defender in Windows 10 and Malware Bytes Premium sufficient but I also do system images to two different drives and clone to another.

@ Acadia: Nice to see you posting a bit. :)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Have to agree with Jay. Unless you want to experiment with software programs or install another Operating System on your pc, for example Linux, you don't need a VM. If you want to experiment with new programs, you can always make a backup of your c:drive first, with a reliable recovery program, just in case the uninstall does not work. I used Virtual Box about 12-15 years ago and I must admit at least this, it was fun to play with but in the end was not needed.
Bill

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:06 pm 

While still not as strong as a physical machine you would be amazed at how VirtualBox has grown in the last 12-15 years Bill. ;) It even now recognizes the physical CPU and uses it instead of a virtual CPU. My physical CPU is an 8 core, 16 thread, unit that is seen as a 16 core CPU. I have my Windows 10 virtual machine set to use 4 cores and Linux Mint virtual machine set to use 6 cores.

It may seem odd to have a Windows 10 virtual machine on a Windows 10 physical machine but it is for safely messing up the system. ;) Since I sync all my virtual machine hard drives to a second system I just copy the drive back from the second system if I crash and burn. :mrgreen:

<edit>
I read again and felt this post might be confusing as it seems that I'm pushing a virtual machine again but that isn't the case if looking for added security. A virtual machine just works for me as I need to be able to do reboots when I'm messing with an OS.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Sandboxie has advanced beyond my scope of software. If I'm reading this right
  1. no new versions of this will be created.
  2. The forums are closing.
  3. I will have to modify the open source for my own usage.
    There is a Read Me file to explain the procedure but this isn't what I signed up for.
  4. The website will go away later this year.

Sophos Forum Explanation

Very disappointing!!

I paid for a lifetime license. Now Sophos has dropped all responsibility for the software. I guess it was a corporate takeover. Tzur made his money and Sophos tossed the program into the garbage.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:38 pm 

Not exactly sure how to take the link you posted Terry.

I'm not sure that you actually MUST modify the code to use Sandboxie but do if you want to modify Sandboxie to fit specific needs. I'm really not sure about this and Acadia or Smitty MAY have better insight...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Going Open Source doesn't mean that you need to modify the software. It means that the community can develop and improve it for free. Yes, it means that Sophos will no longer develop or even host future versions of the software. They are giving up their rights to license and charge for the software. And, yes, that means that Sophos also won't support the product moving forward, it appears, and that sucks somewhat, but there are many successful Open Source projects out there.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Terry, open source simply means that you can modify and change the coding IF YOU WANT TO without getting into any legal trouble. SB is already available as open source but so far, and this is the way it usually works with any open source program, you simply download it and install like you always have.

I am going to copy/paste some information that I stated above:
"Some new and exciting developments are happening. Here is the link:
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-acquired-by-invincea.357312/page-251
start with post number 6252. The future of Sandboxie is once again starting to look bright."

There a at LOT of good people working on this that love SB even more than you, I, or Smitty do. They WILL make it work.
Take care, Bill

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:16 pm 

Don't be afraid of something going open source Terry. By any chance do you remember an early web browser called Netscape Navigator? It went open source and the result was the Mozilla project and Firefox.

Other examples of open source projects are Libre Office, an MS Office alternative, and Gimp, a Paintshop and Photoshop alternative. Then there are web apps. Of course when I work on a web site I have to upload the results to my hosting. Enter FileZilla, an open source FTP (file transfer protocol) client. I could bore you with many, many other examples but won't bore you. ;)
https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://www.gimp.org/
https://filezilla-project.org/

The point is that all are open source and some of the best packages around. Keep in mind that, with their open source status, they are all totally free. Oh, as one more example, let's not forget Linux which is also open source and free. My installed Linux distribution is Mint. Most distributions (distro) of Linux even have what are called live media. This means that you can create media to which you boot each distro that is fully functional. You check out all you want and then install the distro that you like direct from the live media.
https://linuxmint.com/

Linux MAY be the best example of what can happen with Open Source. There are many distributions each offering different advantages as the groups that built the different distributions started from the original and forked in different directions resulting in different versions of Linux that each offer different advantages for different situations.

Open Source does not mean a project is dead but, rather, can often mean expansion resulting in the possibility of different versions of the basic project from which you can pick which serves your purpose the best.

Sorry, have to throw in one more example called Blender.
https://www.blender.org/
This package was heavily involved in the making of the Movie Avatar.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 pm 
welcoming committee

And let's not forget VirtualBox and Chromium.
Bill

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm 

Acadia wrote:
And let's not forget VirtualBox. VirtualBox and Firefox were the two biggies for me being open source. Now maybe Sandboxie is number one. :cool5:
Bill

LOL! If we are going to continue the list we can't leave out Paint.net and Xnview. :mrgreen:
https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/index.html
https://www.xnview.com/en/

And then there is phpBB which is the software that runs these forums.
https://www.phpbb.com/

If you want an 0n-line image gallery I use PIWIGO which is also open source.
https://piwigo.org/

Board index » Technical Forums » Security