Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post subject: Windows Defender??
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:16 am 
welcoming committee

I have been thinking about Windows Defender for the last few days. Is Windows Defender an anti-virus program or not for Windows 10 Operating System. I see that some computer geeks prefer to have Windows Defender for their anti-virus program instead of freeware or payware anti-virus programs. My question is what does Windows Defender do if you decide to have them running in Windows 10? I am getting fed up with my anti-virus program, Avast and I know they are very good but whatever I download the file and they check to see if there is a bad exe file and won't let me to install till the team of Avast approve and sent a message to let me know if the exe file is good or bad. I download a lot of Train Simulator files and I don't know why Avast think that this exe file have to be check first. But I could turn off Avast when I install the exe file then turn back Avast on again. That is the only way to do. Anyway I was thinking about getting Malwarebytes for anti-virus program and SUPERAntiSpyware program too for spyware program.

Let me know about this if I should get Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware or use Windows Defender or keep Avast for my operating system of Windows 10 64X Professional.

Thank you,

John

Post subject: Re: Windows Defender??
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Windows Defender on Windows 10 (and 8) provides full antivirus and antimalware protection.
When a 3rd party antivirus program is installed, Windows Defender "steps" down and no longer provides real time protection.
When you remove a 3rd party a/v program, you should see an alert from the Message Center that you have no protection with the option to enable Defender.
You may need to do some cleanup to remove all remnants of your previous protection using the vendor supplied removal tool - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... f75?auth=1

The decision to use Avast vs. Defender is totally up to you. Personally, I don't advise using Malwarebytes (paid version, with it's real time protection) alongside Defender, but many other people report no issues with that. Running Malwarebytes free and/or Superantispyware free to sweep for junk missed by Defender (usually dormant of low impact stuff -- tracking cookies, registry entries, code inside of a compressed/zipped installer or archive file...) is a good idea.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 am 
welcoming committee

Steve -- Thank you for your time to reply.

John

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 am 
welcoming committee

Have to second everything that Steve stated. A caveat, I have never used Win10. But I have heard too many good things about the newly revised WindowsDefender. Also agree with having a second opinion such as Malwarebytes or whatever.

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21 pm 

Windows Defender works very well on Windows 10, I have it running alongside the paid for premium MalwareBytes and there are no problems on my machines.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Joan for reply to my message. I was wondering about Windows Defender in Windows 10. As I read a lot of comments online about Windows Defender especially the computer users who have Windows 10 are happy with Windows Defender. Guess that I will switch over to Windows Defender on the weekend which give me time to see and make sure it is working properly on my desktop.

Smile,

John

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Going back to your first post remember that Malwarebytes is not anti-virus. It is anti-malware.

If you go to Defender and add Malwarebytes heed Steve's warning about them not playing nice. Myself, as does Joan, use Defender and Malwarebytes Premium without issue but, as Steve stated, there have been people that have had issues with the combination. I THINK that the issues were not common and have been fixed but cannot prove. I really doubt that you would see an issue but to be safe would suggest doing a system image before adding Malwarebytes.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:13 am 
welcoming committee

For those of you who have compatibility problems between WindowsDefender and Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes just came out with an update I believe in just the past couple days, from version 3.1.2 to 3.2.2.

Have no idea if this will fix things, just wanted those of you who still want to use MB to know.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm 
welcoming committee

I have had no issues with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium. And Acadia, I did just recently do the free upgrade to version 3.2.2.2018. No problems there either, after I got 3.2.2 installed. For some reason, the upgrade process completely deleted Malwarebytes from my computer (see previous post on that subject). So I had to download the free version, but my license number was then recognized so all is now well.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Going back to your first post remember that Malwarebytes is not anti-virus. It is anti-malware.

That is true of the free version. However, with the release of Malwarebytes version 3, the Premium version is considered an anti-virus replacement. It includes Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies in a single program called Malwarebytes rather than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Acadia wrote:
For those of you who have compatibility problems between WindowsDefender and Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes just came out with an update I believe in just the past couple days, from version 3.1.2 to 3.2.2.

Acadia

Since I want to maintain Windows Defender as my primary A/V, in the Malwarebytes Premium Settings menu, I have "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" selected under the "Windows Action Center" heading.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
Since I want to maintain Windows Defender as my primary A/V, in the Malwarebytes Premium Settings menu, I have "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" selected under the "Windows Action Center" heading.

Hmmm, I wonder, could this be why some people are having problems with making Malwarebytes work with Windows Defender?

Gosh, I would LOVE to have them BOTH with my new system.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm 

I was lucky enough to 'grandfather in' for Malwarebytes Premium when they had the lifetime license.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm 

That's interesting, I'll have to check my settings as at present both work on my system with no problem and I just left the default settings.

I started out with the free version several years ago before moving to the paid Pro version. I did get the lifetime licence but do pay a yearly renewal for the Anti-Exploit part of the package.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
However, with the release of Malwarebytes version 3, the Premium version is considered an anti-virus replacement.

"considered an..."?

What exactly does that mean?.... i paid for the Premium version last year and never in my wildest dreams would i have expected any Malwarebytes products to have replaced Anti-Virus software... currently running MSE on Win 7 with MBAM 3 Premium fwiw.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm 

Not sure how it is with Windows 7 and Security Essentials but with Malwarebytes and Defender in Windows 10 Defender is still active and does sheduled scans but it seems, by default, that Malwarebytes becomes the primary anti-virus.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, is Malwarebytes listed in the "Windows Action Center" (actually, I need to get used to the new name, Security and Maintenance) as the antivirus? If not, you may want to make the change I mentioned above so it is Windows Defender Antivirus (yes, in Windows 10, the name includes "Antivirus"). Malwarebytes will continue working the same.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I thought of this topic when I saw a Tweet today by the General Manager of Windows Defender Security Research. From https://twitter.com/tanmayg/status/971158513345953792:

Quote:
Windows Defender AV achieved a perfect score in the last AVT Protection test. 100% in both Real World and Prevalent malware tests in Dec.

Another Windows Defender positive post at Microsoft Secure:
Quote:
Just before noon on March 6 (PST), Windows Defender AV blocked more than 80,000 instances of several sophisticated trojans that exhibited advanced cross-process injection techniques, persistence mechanisms, and evasion methods. Behavior-based signals coupled with cloud-powered machine learning models uncovered this new wave of infection attempts. The trojans, which are new variants of Dofoil (also known as Smoke Loader), carry a coin miner payload. Within the next 12 hours, more than 400,000 instances were recorded, 73% of which were in Russia. Turkey accounted for 18% and Ukraine 4% of the global encounters.

More at Behavior monitoring combined with machine learning spoils a massive Dofoil coin mining campaign – Microsoft Secure

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm 

Corrine wrote:
Jay, is Malwarebytes listed in the "Windows Action Center" (actually, I need to get used to the new name, Security and Maintenance) as the antivirus? If not, you may want to make the change I mentioned above so it is Windows Defender Antivirus (yes, in Windows 10, the name includes "Antivirus"). Malwarebytes will continue working the same.

I show it as 'Updates and Security'. Malwarebytes is not listed, just Defender.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Windows Defender on Windows 10 (and 8) provides full antivirus and antimalware protection.
When a 3rd party antivirus program is installed, Windows Defender "steps" down and no longer provides real time protection.
When you remove a 3rd party a/v program, you should see an alert from the Message Center that you have no protection with the option to enable Defender.
You may need to do some cleanup to remove all remnants of your previous protection using the vendor supplied removal tool - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... f75?auth=1

The decision to use Avast vs. Defender is totally up to you. Personally, I don't advise using Malwarebytes (paid version, with it's real time protection) alongside Defender, but many other people report no issues with that. Running Malwarebytes free and/or Superantispyware free to sweep for junk missed by Defender (usually dormant of low impact stuff -- tracking cookies, registry entries, code inside of a compressed/zipped installer or archive file...) is a good idea.

-steve

Hi Steve.......does this also apply to Windows 7 Pro ? My protection program that I had expired and when I view Windows Defender from the control panel, it says there are no problems with my computer and everything is fine. It does a quick scan every day so I am assuming that Defender has taken over and would warn me if I stumble onto something.
Yes? No? Maybe? Only if?

Allyson

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:01 pm 

In Windows 7 Defender is just antimalware. For 7 you would be looking for Microsoft's Security Essentials.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5201

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In Windows 7 Defender is just antimalware. For 7 you would be looking for Microsoft's Security Essentials.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5201

So I just install that and I'm done?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials would then be your antivirus and antimalware program on Windows 7.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials would then be your antivirus and antimalware program on Windows 7.

Thanks Steve....Essentials installed ok and when done, Windows Defender had been turned off. The program quick scanned my computer, took 28 minutes and it now says Real Time Protection is "on".

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Perfect -- exactly how Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 should work. :-)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm 

Steve, if I may ask a question. ;) Why exactly do you recommend to not run MBAM Pro with Defender? I've heard the stuff about them not playing well together on some systems but have not seen a single case where this was the case. Well, I've seen an issue twice. Then again I don't work on a lot of systems anymore...

The only time that I have seen an issue it would seem that it was not caused by either Defender or MBAM Pro. On the two systems with an issue it was caused actually by Norton (It would seem). The second case was just a couple of weeks ago on an Acer laptop, In this case, from the factory, both Norton and McAfee were installed. Granted that it was not the Norton Security Package, just the Norton Cloud Backup package. At first I didn't notice that the Norton Backup was there and just removed McAfee. There were issues. Went back through and noticed the Norton product which I deleted. Rebooted and all the issues were gone. Yes, it is a VERY small sample but my results would indicate that the actual issue was the Norton software, not Defender working with MBAM Pro.

For the record here is what I saw as issues.
1) ~2 out of 5 restarts would fail although a cold boot always worked.
2) Sluggish performance when a good boot happened. Sigh, I don't know if sluggish performance is the right way to state. Once something loaded it worked fine but I saw extremely long app load times. For instance it would take Libre Office ~20 seconds to load. Once the Norton software was removed that Libre Office load time was cut in half at least.

I am truly interested in your thoughts on this. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Security