Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & downloads     Donate

Board index » Technical Forums » Security




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 am 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am
Posts: 975
http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ymore.html

Acadia

_________________
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Good article.

It was interesting, I was talking with the fellow who helps folks with malware removal on the Emsisoft forums and he said probably over 50% of the folks infected had software that should have prevented it but they turned it off to see what they had been sent.

Also from all my malware testing I've been doing, the only thing I've seen that is 100% effective are the anti executable families. They don't care what it is, just block it if they don't already have it on your system. Still requires using one's head.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am
Posts: 975
Peter2150 wrote:
Still requires using one's head.

Yes, and unfortunately that is the problem with most white-listing programs, I agree that they are the best (next to Sandboxie and ShadowDefender which don't use ANY listing :gunner: ), but most folks want "set and forget" and those programs just are not powerful enough anymore even with careful and knowledgeable surfing, well, in my opinion anyway. Enough respectable websites have been hacked thru the years. And once you allow that website's coding thru your firewall, EVERYTHING comes in. If a clever enough hacker, and many of them are genius, sneaked a cleverly written code onto the website, then YOU have allowed it thru your firewall and onto your system, IF it can get past your av and other signature based programs. With a white-list program the bad guy won't stand a chance.
Acadia

_________________
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
Very interesting, but they stop short of telling you about programs like Malwarebytes that don't use signatures, or only signatures. I assume Malwarebytes has some signatures, Pete? Maybe not.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am
Posts: 975
MacDuffie wrote:
...I assume Malwarebytes has some signatures ... Maybe not.

Malwarebytes definitely uses signatures/definitions. It is one of the first things that my pc does automatically when I turn it on, update MB and my av ... I wait until they finish, and then switch over to ShadowDefender which is so protective that it would have even killed them.

Acadia

_________________
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
Well yes, Acadia, but you are running version 2. I am running Version 3. Not saying they don't do updates either - but whether it is signature updates or something else (like heuristic updates) I don't know. I'm sure Peter does.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Yep they are signature updates. As an update they released a preview of the latest update forth coming. It should have been trouble free, since it is just fixes, but not the case. Very few are running trouble free. Most are having issues. I expect they should have another build shortly. Stay tuned.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
OK thanks. Don't neglect one fact though, Peter, when you say most are having troubles, think about the category of people who are using those forums, and what else they do with their machines. ;)

My machine is lean and very mainstream.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Probably true at Wilders, but not as much so at the Malwarebytes forum. If they release the update on the 22 2nd like the are saying it should be interesting.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am
Posts: 975
Peter2150 wrote:
... If they release the update on the 22 2nd like the are saying it should be interesting.

Hey Peter, what is that 22nd update? Are they going to try to force version 3 on us or what? Thanks.
Acadia

_________________
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
Perhaps not so much, Peter, but technical forums tend to be visited by people with issues. How many people do we see around here who aren't having problems? Only those that are solving them.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Acadia wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
... If they release the update on the 22 2nd like the are saying it should be interesting.

Hey Peter, what is that 22nd update? Are they going to try to force version 3 on us or what? Thanks.
Acadia


It is supposed to be the monthly release of patches.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
MacDuffie wrote:
Perhaps not so much, Peter, but technical forums tend to be visited by people with issues. How many people do we see around here who aren't having problems? Only those that are solving them.


That is true Patty. But when an honest support person admits they have serious problems, that's another thing.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
I don't doubt it, Peter. I just don't know what percentage of setups are actually experiencing those problems. Could have to do with certain program conflicts or configurations.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Hi Patty

Had a light bulb moment. Normally I'd agree with you 1000% People only come to forums when they have trouble. But not so in this case.

What they have been doing is keeping 4 separate modules, updating them and pushing then out by module. When they agree to let us test it before release, they put together a build and gave it to me telling me they were going to release to people on the forums to test. Before I could report back they found problems and release another test build. This build was only announced on 3 forums. So in these case with all the complaints about this build, these people represent a large majority of the folks using this build.

Not good.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 am
Posts: 975
Peter2150 wrote:
...
Not good.

Argh, decisions, decision, decisions. Whether to remove MB for good since I now have VoodooShield, or keep both and hope for the best because I love layers.
Acadia

_________________
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
But, Peter, these are test builds!

Lest we forget, neither Jay nor I are having any issues with MB3, neither is my daughter, nor my husband nor the one client I have upgraded so far.

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm
Posts: 970
Hi Patty

Yes, but what is different here is they were going to release these modules on the 22nd. It was only because a few of us hollared that they made the test build.

Another thing I didn't bother relating. But I almost totally wrote them off because I was reporting the failures in detection, and I was getting "I don't know what I am going" flack from their forum staff. Finally their Tech Support Product Manager contacted me and asked for the samples and got the same results. That's one of the fixes due to be released.

So the big problem for uses like you and your family is you put it on and it appears to be working, but you have no safe way to test it nor should you try. Just be alert


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
Fearless Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am
Posts: 2823
OK, Peter. I will be alert. :)

_________________
Patty MacDuffie
Computer Haven Administrator

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Technical Forums » Security


Who is online

Registered users: No registered users

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Similar topics


Jump to:  

cron