Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post subject: What is MS doing now?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 am 
welcoming committee

I created a new password for an account and tried to go into the MS Password Checker to test its strength.

I went into my usually reliable bookmark at 10:40 this morning:
https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-s ... ecker.aspx

That link did not work. Upon doing a Google search, I was not finding anything. Did MS do away with what, in my opinion, is an important page?
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 am 

I've just clicked on the link Acadia and it opened a page with boxes pointing to different parts, I didn't click on any of them as I don't know how far you got.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Joan. Upon clicking on that link all I get is a white page doing nothing. I even turned off my adblocker to make sure, and I always have NoScript disabled in FF. I even tried that link in IE, nothing but a white page. But if Google could not find it, then it must be gone?!?!
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:20 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I got the same as Joan but it was a VERY long load time. It is titled Safety and Security Center. It loaded in both IE and FF but took an extremely long time in both.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I got the same as Joan but it was a VERY long load time. It is titled Safety and Security Center. It loaded in both IE and FF but took an extremely long time in both.

Did you get to any kind of Password strength tester?
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:37 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I didn't see anything that was obviously a tester, nothing directly on that page.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Use GRC's haystack tester. Probably better

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Use GRC's haystack tester. Probably better

LOL!! I know, Peter, I know. According to GRC my password would take between 1.28 trillion centuries and 1.28 hundred billion trillion centuries to crack.

But that is not the point. I have always recommended the MS checker because it is so easy and simple to use. I can recommend other password checkers also, but some of them make my brain ache with their results; I like a short, sweet, simple answer and MS used to provide that. But is MS now going the way of hiding it like they did hiding their excellent mirror imaging program in Windows?

I have ALWAYS stated, others may disagree, but I strongly feel that the two most important parts of an Operating System is Backup and Security. Newbies, in my opinion, need to learn this more than anything else. Microsoft, you were on the right track, don't start hiding the most important stuff!

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:08 pm 

It doesn't appear to be working now, this is via Edge in Windows 10. I used Edge this morning and that time it opened the page but now I just get the blank page.

OK I take that back I've just clicked the link again and this time after a delay the page opened. I clicked on the first box about security and after another long wait it opened another page with a list of options, at the side is a separate list "I want to" and the first in that list is about passwords, don't know if that is what you want Acadia, you do have to wait though for each page to load.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm 

The password checker is that first one in the I want to list, you click the + at the first line and that opens another list and the first one there is the one you want. I didn't click it but I hovered the mouse over the link and the link showed down at the bottom of the screen and the full address mentioned password checker.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security