Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Of course no one likes software that is bundled with crapware and measures can be taken to help but not totally prevent, especially if you install a lot of freeware. By crapware I mean bundled tool bars, coupon finders, etc..

If you have had experience, as I'm sure everyone has, with an install including garbage in the install please let us know here. Also let us know what garbage was bundled if you remember and if it was removable. If this gets any decent response I will attempt to compile a separate thread condensed as a list of software and what to look out for.

I'll start things off with PaintShop Pro X3. This is software that I paid for yet quite often it will throw up a nag screen when closed trying to get you to buy a newer version. I don't mind if a package offers notifications of updates, upgrades and new products as long as it is an opt in. An opt out option is better than nothing but I'd rather it be an opt in option. With PaintShop Pro X3 there is no such option of any kind nor can I find a way to disable the nag screen. I will say that I used to run PaintShop Pro 10 and it had a nag screen that I didn't at all mind. The difference is that the PaintShop Pro 10 I had was offered by the company for free as a download. Since nothing is truly for free the nag screen was the price.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 am 
welcoming committee

Add to the list Winzip which last time I used it was also paid, and tried to install a lot of crap.

Then there is Skype which I also pay for. Every upgrade, tries to install stuff, change browsers and search engines.

Oh then there is CNET, where you download a fake program, which you have to run, to download what you want to use, but it also tries to install all kinds of crap.

Fortunately I watch all installs with NoVirusthanks Exe Radar Pro, and can block this junk.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:40 pm 

I haven't installed WinZip in ages but DO remember it being bundled with a lot.

I agree that CNET has gotten bad along with Downloads.com and others. That is one reason that I always try to download from the author's site. No guarantee even then but a better chance. I also always use custom or advanced install when available. One download site that still seems mostly OK is Major Geeks.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 pm 
Fearless Leader

Peter2150 wrote:
Add to the list Winzip which last time I used it was also paid, and tried to install a lot of crap.

Then there is Skype which I also pay for. Every upgrade, tries to install stuff, change browsers and search engines.

You keep mentioning this, Peter, but I don't pay for Skype, and none of these things happen when it upgrades, which seems to be every couple of weeks.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm 

To do an 'in-be-tween' on Skype...

Who does Skype through Microsoft and who does Skype through the older links directly to Skype? Last that I looked both methods were available; might make a difference...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:25 am 
welcoming committee

Where are the Skype only links. Also I wonder if because I pay for it, I get microsoft/

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:42 am 
welcoming committee

Flash Player and Java both have crapware if 'Notify of updates but do not install' is the preferred updating method. I don't know if the Automatic Update option does as i don't use that setting.

I don't recall if Java is Opt-in or Opt-out, i suspect Opt-out, but Flash Player is definitely Opt-out.

I believe Flash Player offers McAfee, and Java the Ask.com toolbar, i could be wrong as i stopped looking at what the check boxes offered long ago... as if on auto-pilot i simply look out for the check boxes and deselect them as required.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm 
Fearless Leader

Not sure what you mean, Jay. I don't use any links at all for Skype. It's installed and when I open it for my Sunday chat, it frequently updates itself. Yes, there are ads at the top, but I can close them and they are far from intrusive. Now I do not use Skype video, only chat. This was Microsoft's replacement for MSN chat client.

Anyone remember Comic Chat? :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 pm 

@ Peter This is the link that I use to download Skype. I DO have to admit that it has been quite a while since I've done so.
http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/ ... -computer/

@ Doodie I forgot about the bundled garbage with JAVA and Flash. Some of this stuff just becomes so 'auto pilot mode' that you tend to forget.

@ Patty I meant where Skype was acquired on the initial install. For instance Win 10 comes with a Skype App, can't remember if 8.1 does and I'm in 10 at the moment so can't check. I killed the app and installed from the link above without much issue. I don't seem to see any bundled software. Can't say anything about ads as I haven't gotten around to booting to 8.1 to retrieve my log in... I do not select to use an MS account.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 pm 

One I'm not sure of is RAR Extract Frog at
http://www.philipp-winterberg.com/softw ... t_frog.php
I haven't been able to find any bundled garbage but MBAM Pro throws up a non-malware alert when it is installed.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
@ Peter This is the link that I use to download Skype. I DO have to admit that it has been quite a while since I've done so.

Hi Jay

I downloaded from there recently. It is indeed the MS version.

Thanks though,

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 pm 

Yes I saw that as a potential when I just installed in Win 10. However you DO have the option of using an MS account or a separate Skype account. I can't say that I know one or the other but the type of account could make a difference.

Peter2150 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Hi Jay

I downloaded from there recently. It is indeed the MS version.

Thanks though,

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 pm 
Fearless Leader

My installations all came directly from Microsoft. I had to "upgrade" from Windows Live Messenger to Skype, which I was not happy about. It took Microsoft quite a while to make Skype useable for our group chat, if you recall, Jay. It's fine now though. This is the desktop Skype. Windows 8 does come with the Skype app preinstalled.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 am 

I never took much notice of where I got Skype from, had it that long that I can't remember which OS I first had it installed on.
Not used it yet on here, I'm on Windows 10 at the moment, in fact I've not really got into using it much at all.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:36 am 
welcoming committee

I just wish Microsoft was a bit less heavy handed. I like Skype, but I've turned off auto updates, and it still pesters me about updating.

Same with MSE. I installed to test something, and discovered it turned on Windows Autoupdate. I wouldn't fuss if it at least warned me it was off, told me that was bad, and asked me about turning it on. But no it just turned it on. So I ask how is this different then the stuff that caused this thread to be started.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:46 am 
Fearless Leader

It is absolutely different, Peter. You're not understanding the far greater number of computer users who install a program like MSE (if they ever do, which is why it is included in Windows now), and would never even get the updates if autoupdate was turned off. Then they moan about how they got infected and Microsoft was at fault. It is far more important to Microsoft that those pc's don't get infected than that you have to turn autoupdate off again. It isn't heavy-handed, it is common sense.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Patty

I fully understand. But, even if they don't want to give the user the option when they find updates turned off, at least notify the user they have turned it back on. I didn't even know and couldn't figure out why the machine had turned to mush. Would have been nice to have known.

Frankly the reason I installed it was to see if it would pass my first test of AV's, namely detect an infected program(Actually a Raxco test, with a keylogger to download). Most of the better av's detect it, but MSE didn't.

Actually these users will end up as fodder for the malware authors anyway. Some of the new stuff that will be coming down the pike is fileless malware. Strictly in memory and I've read about the possiblity of new malware that strictly hides in the registry.

One thing is for sure, people who clean machines won't have any problems finding business.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Good example of what I am taking about is Poodle. Should we have something here for our visitors about dealing with it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 pm 
Fearless Leader

What is Poodle?

As far as Microsoft notifying you, let's see how that would go with someone for whom a computer is a toaster. "We just installed updates and your autoupdates were turned off so we turned them back on." Hmmm... I have plenty of clients who would be confused and likely frightened by such a notification.

You know, Peter, you and I (and many others here), come from an earlier generation of computer users. Jay and I were just talking about this. Computers were an adventure to us, we wanted to know how they worked. That is not the case with most users today. The computer really has become like a toaster. This is what people wanted, it is what they got. Yeah, it does take all the fun out of it!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Poodle is an SSL vulnerability: http://secunia.com/blog/poodle---a-bigg ... heory-408/

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
What is Poodle?

You know, Peter, you and I (and many others here), come from an earlier generation of computer users. Jay and I were just talking about this. Computers were an adventure to us, we wanted to know how they worked. That is not the case with most users today. The computer really has become like a toaster. This is what people wanted, it is what they got. Yeah, it does take all the fun out of it!
This is very true. Us early adopters wanted to tinker and figure things out. The mainstream just wanted - and will continue to do so - things to work. As PCs became more popular it's certainly not surprising that the Gaussian curve shifted. Although I must admit that I probably shifted a little myself. I've shifted more to the center of that curve and I've become less patient when things fail to work and more reluctant to figure out why. I want to fix it and don't really care why, just lets go.

In fact, I've recently moved from the flip phone [after a slight misadventure with the washer] generation to a smart phone [LG G3] and find myself not caring where the heck stuff is as long as the phone knows and lets me use it easily. Although I must admit when this all started never did I think that I could carry a computer in my back pocket and have it available just about anywhere. It's amazing!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
As far as Microsoft notifying you, let's see how that would go with someone for whom a computer is a toaster.

:rofl2: This is by far my favourite snippet of the year so far, so looking forward to the first help request for a computer CD/DVD tray not browning bread!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:43 pm 

Doddie wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:
As far as Microsoft notifying you, let's see how that would go with someone for whom a computer is a toaster.

:rofl2: This is by far my favourite snippet of the year so far, so looking forward to the first help request for a computer CD/DVD tray not browning bread!

The CD/DVD tray isn't even for browning bread. It is the built in cup holder. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:46 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Manny, I'm not quite as into figuring out why myself anymore. Still, I often have to! :) Know what you mean about the Smartphones. I have a Nokia Icon, and it is exactly like having a computer in my back pocket. It has a quad core processor at nearly the same speed as my speed-demon PC! Fun, fun, fun!

Glad we're entertaining you, Doddie!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:
What is Poodle?

This is very true. Us early adopters wanted to tinker and figure things out. The mainstream just wanted - and will continue to do so - things to work. As PCs became more popular it's certainly not surprising that the Gaussian curve shifted. Although I must admit that I probably shifted a little myself. I've shifted more to the center of that curve and I've become less patient when things fail to work and more reluctant to figure out why. I want to fix it and don't really care why, just lets go.

In fact, I've recently moved from the flip phone [after a slight misadventure with the washer] generation to a smart phone [LG G3] and find myself not caring where the heck stuff is as long as the phone knows and lets me use it easily. Although I must admit when this all started never did I think that I could carry a computer in my back pocket and have it available just about anywhere. It's amazing!

It's truly remarkable where our technology has taken us. We never thought we would see some of the props used in the 70's, 80's & 90's movies and TV shows. All these items have become second nature for the younger generations while we kind of fumble are way through learning how to use them.

Patty I see your point although removing your HDD and throwing away your computer hardware would be more costly than replacing a toaster, microwave oven (Patty excluded), vacuum cleaner or even a monitor/television. Currently we are in the "disposable age" until we run out of landfills.

BTW, this was an amusing topic to read. Every once in awhile this group becomes a bunch of chuckleheads. :)

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)