Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AX64 Time Machine
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I agree, Pete, that verification is no guarantee but it's something and better than nothing. Verifying by recovery is, of course, the ultimate but it's too onerous for a regular procedure in my opinion.

I haven't had any failures but I'm sure you've done more recoveries than I have. What symptoms do you see when you have a failure?

As to symptoms you name it. BSOD's Corrupt Boot Loader, Chkdsk running and finding a mess. But and here's the big but, in 100% of the cases, booting to the recovery disk and restoring from there has competely restored the disk. So it seems like whatever happens to the disk you can recover from it by a restore from the recovery disk. That's a great track record in itself.

Pete

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It would seem that you guys have done a heck of a job on the testing which means that I won't have to... ;) I trust you guys enough to believe that if you have tested to your satisfaction it is also tested to my satisfaction.

With the apparent decision by MS to remove the built in Image backup from Win 8.1 I am sure that I will go ahead and buy this software to cover the loss. It would seem that this package has come out at a very opportune time. :) Good for them, timing is everything.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
With the apparent decision by MS to remove the built in Image backup from Win 8.1 I am sure that I will go ahead and buy this software to cover the loss..

Trial it first, Jay, and remember Manny has discount coupons. Does anyone know why MS made the $^@#&* decision to remove the most important part, in my opinion, of an Operating System?

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
jaylach wrote:
With the apparent decision by MS to remove the built in Image backup from Win 8.1 I am sure that I will go ahead and buy this software to cover the loss..

Trial it first, Jay, and remember Manny has discount coupons. Does anyone know why MS made the $^@#&* decision to remove the most important part, in my opinion, of an Operating System?

Acadia

I bet it's because it became a support headache. Once I got my win 7x64 machine I decided to give it a try. Taking the image went very smoothly. Then I tried to make the recovery disk. Got to a certain point, it it said I needed to select and load some drivers. Two problems with that. No idea which ones and no mouse to be able to select anything. So much for that. Now I can boot my windows disk and select the repair option. But many folks never get a windows disk. I suspect within windows there may be other repair options, but how many people would have a clue.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:30 am 
Fearless Leader

People don't use it. Shame, because it's simple as pie. I have all my clients make the recovery disc and then I set up image and data backups. Never any issues.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am 
welcoming committee

In that post above where I describe experiencing what Reldel did, that wasn't a virtual machine, that was the new desktop. Having to power reset when hung during the windows restore, did hose the machine, but booting to the recovery disk and restoring from there fixed it like new.

Pete[/quote]

Pete,

Thanks to your experience with the recovery disk, I have reinstalled AX64 on one of the machines that I had the problem. As I had not run the recovery media previously, my first test was to use it and do the re-image. All went well. While my confidence was shaken using the recovery through Windows, ye have restoreth my faith with all the recovery media success.

If I can, I'd like to tap your brain for a second. On all my machines I have been using two imaging methods, one was the built in Windows imaging and the other was the free versions of Acronis that both Seagate and Western Digital offer on their websites after you purchase their external hard drives. I have backups/images going back quite a few months from both Windows and Acronis. I am not planning to deleting these backups until I run out of space.

At some point using the old imaging process, the MBR got about a ten second hitch in it where it just sits and then it continues and boots properly. I wonder if I could go back using an image from say 6 months ago before the problem began, restore an Acronis image, correcting the problem, then install AX64 on that old image, then restore up to the current time with the Windows restore of AX64 (not using the recovery media because it would restore the slow MBR). From that point on, my next AX64 image will have the good MBR and current documents etc.

Does that make sense?

Bob

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:29 am 
welcoming committee

Reldel wrote:

At some point using the old imaging process, the MBR got about a ten second hitch in it where it just sits and then it continues and boots properly. I wonder if I could go back using an image from say 6 months ago before the problem began, restore an Acronis image, correcting the problem, then install AX64 on that old image, then restore up to the current time with the Windows restore of AX64 (not using the recovery media because it would restore the slow MBR). From that point on, my next AX64 image will have the good MBR and current documents etc.

Does that make sense?

Bob

Not only makes sense, but I've done exactly that using FDISR and Shadowprotect. One of the things I tested in a virtual machine, was having the ax64 image, trashing the disk, and then just reinstalling Windows, installing AX64, and restoring. Worked like a champ. So you might even have that option, although I expect the Acronis Restore would be fast er.

Pete

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 am 
Fearless Leader

Just curious, do any of you using/testing this program have a RAID setup?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:

Patty, according to the AXTM website, their program is compatible with RAID. Testing is another matter since I do not have RAID.

http://feedback.ax64.com/knowledgebase/articles/215928-frequently-asked-questions

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:38 am 
welcoming committee

Reldel wrote:
... the free versions of Acronis that both Seagate and Western Digital offer on their websites after you purchase their external hard drives. I have backups/images going back quite a few months from both Windows and Acronis. I am not planning to deleting these backups until I run out of space.

Reldel, AXTM is NOT compatible with older versions of Acronis which would probably have to include Seagate's DiskWizard. But I do not know where the change occurs when Acronis suddenly becomes compatible. As you know, Seagate DiskWizard is simply an OLDER version of Acronis.

http://feedback.ax64.com/knowledgebase/articles/202276-compatibility-with-acronis-true-image-and-disk-di

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:

Hi Patty

Yes. My Sagar laptop is a raid setup using Intel Raid. Matter of fact something I tried this morning was interesting.

The Sager is an XP Pro SP3 machine with Intel Raid and a standard mother board. The recovery disk built on that machine is base on XP.

My new desktop is Win 7 x64 with a new EUFI bios based motherboard. That recovery disk uses some form of Win 7pe.

I was curious what would happen if I booted the Sager to the win 7 recovery disk, so I tried it. It booted, the AX64 console loaded, and I saw all my AX64 snapshots. So... I tried restoring one of them. Worked perfectly.

This thing is so easy, you could talk someone through it one the phone. I mean not only takeing the image, but also restoring either in windows, or using the CD. You could even talk them through making the recovery CD.

Pete

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Reldel wrote:
... the free versions of Acronis that both Seagate and Western Digital offer on their websites after you purchase their external hard drives. I have backups/images going back quite a few months from both Windows and Acronis. I am not planning to deleting these backups until I run out of space.

Reldel, AXTM is NOT compatible with older versions of Acronis which would probably have to include Seagate's DiskWizard. But I do not know where the change occurs when Acronis suddenly becomes compatible. As you know, Seagate DiskWizard is simply an OLDER version of Acronis.

http://feedback.ax64.com/knowledgebase/articles/202276-compatibility-with-acronis-true-image-and-disk-di

Acadia

I haven't found a conflict, but I read the note on compatibility problems on the AX64 website. Thanks for the reminder.

Bob

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Reldel wrote:
I haven't found a conflict...

Right. If you are using newer versions of those programs you will not. I just wanted to make sure.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

Quote:
This thing is so easy, you could talk someone through it one the phone. I mean not only takeing the image, but also restoring either in windows, or using the CD. You could even talk them through making the recovery CD.
Pete

Ha! Maybe a tad overly optimistic, Pete. LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:56 pm 
welcoming committee

This is another copy/paste (with minor changes) from Wilders:

I finally had a chance to "torture" test this program. Now please understand when I say "torture" test that this is "sissy" stuff compared to what Peter2150 and others have done.

Before installing a MAJOR program that causes many changes to be made to the system including at least several drivers, I made a Snapshot. Installed the program, OK, now it is on my system. Then I pretended to change my mind, "No I do not like this program, I WANT MY OLD SYSTEM BACK." Asked AXTM to recover me, in less than two minutes, back to normal. Then I pretended to change my mind again and want that new program back. Restored to that snapshot (back to the future), bingo, now everything was brand new and again in less than two minutes.

Now my former favorite, FirstDefense, could do the same thing, but it took much longer and used up MUCH more disk space.

Yes, I know that some of you are saying (remember, this is from a post at Wilder's), "Acadia, we already know all of that". But for me this is truly awesome!

Acadia

EDIT: I have now made around 10-12 restores with this program (all but one was testing) so far, perfection.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Good for you Acadai but we knew all that! :twisted:

As it turns it this program allowed me to recover from a mistake I made fairly easily. I was installing Win 7 on my new solid state drive but I did it from within Win 8. It turns out - and I knew this but forgot - that Win 8 64 bit won't allow unsigned drivers to be installed. Since Win 7 has such drivers it stopped me dead in my tracks. While I could turn this off it looks like I hit a few wrong buttons and got stuck dual booting to Win 8 and a half baked Win 7 install. I tried recovering my C drive with WX64 and, although it recovered it, nothing changed. I was still in dual boot hell. I was thinking it was the registry I needed to restore but really it was the MBR. Simple enough right? Not quite because I had used my flash drive with my recovery media for my Win 7 ISO expansion and I had nothing. [Did somebody use this scenario here - no recovery media - and I made a nasty comment about memory - oops!]

It ended up simple enough though. I created another recovery disk because Win 8 was still booting and recovered all those partitions. Problem solved! Thank you WX64.

Now to install Win 7 the right way.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:

As it turns it this program allowed me to recover from a mistake I made fairly easily. I was installing Win 7 on my new solid state drive but I did it from within Win 8. It turns out - and I knew this but forgot - that Win 8 64 bit won't allow unsigned drivers to be installed. Since Win 7 has such drivers it stopped me dead in my tracks. While I could turn this off it looks like I hit a few wrong buttons and got stuck dual booting to Win 8 and a half baked Win 7 install. I tried recovering my C drive with WX64 and, although it recovered it, nothing changed. I was still in dual boot hell. I was thinking it was the registry I needed to restore but really it was the MBR. Simple enough right? Not quite because I had used my flash drive with my recovery media for my Win 7 ISO expansion and I had nothing. [Did somebody use this scenario here - no recovery media - and I made a nasty comment about memory - oops!]

It ended up simple enough though. I created another recovery disk because Win 8 was still booting and recovered all those partitions. Problem solved! Thank you WX64.

Well done Manny. That recovery media is super important. I update to Build 1133(it's still in testing.) On two out 3 of the machines. On the third not so good. Every windows restore blue screened. Recovery media was the savior. Since 2 out of 3 were good, I did a clean install of 1133 and am testing.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi everyone,

I'm Isso, the developer of AX64 Time Machine. I'm very happy to see positive reviews of our program, and many thanks to Manny for inviting me to ComputerHaven.
I'll do my best to answer the questions.

Isso

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:

Well done Manny. That recovery media is super important. I update to Build 1133(it's still in testing.) On two out 3 of the machines. On the third not so good. Every windows restore blue screened. Recovery media was the savior. Since 2 out of 3 were good, I did a clean install of 1133 and am testing.

Pete

Peter,

Do I understand it right that you have blue screens only with pre-release version 1133? If yes, could you please send to me a screenshot of that screen? Also please let me know the Windows version that you are using. Thank you

Isso

EDIT: does the blue screen happen on the restore phase, or after reboot? Thank you

Last edited by Isso_ax64 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Hi Manny,

In order to restore the boot settings you need to use "Advanced" option of the AX64 restore dialog and check Restore MBR and Restore System Hidden Partition checkboxes. Hope this helps.

Isso

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
Yes, you guys are right. This is a limitation of AX64 but one that most users don't really care about. To get this done I'll have to swap drives. I may do that but it's a pain to open my laptop and I got other things to do.

Jay the size of the drive does matter but it can be smaller. As long as the data fits and a little more for safety it should work. Here from the FAQ:

"For size requirements - if the new disk size is the same or bigger than original, it will always do. If the size is smaller - it will work provided that your source partition can fit into it. Let's say your source disk has 500GB size, and you back up a 100 GB partition that has 50 GB offset. In such case a 150GB disk (size + offset) should suffice."

Here's the KB by the way: http://feedback.ax64.com/knowledgebase

I'm not put off by this at all. It would be nice to have this flexibility but certainly not an issue. I'm with Peter about Shadow Protect, it's an awesome program but a bit geeky to use. AX64 is wonderfully simple but powerful. With a few enhancements it would be great. Here's what I think it needs:

1. More extensive scheduling.

The hourly automatic backups does work but I'd prefer to set my own schedule of how to time my backups.

2. Ability to verify backups.

Right now a user has to assume that all backups will work. Aside from using a point there's no way to determine if a backup is viable.

3. Be able to monitor different partitions/folders.

Sometimes I would want backup a subset of a hard drive. That could be partitions or a set of folders.

4. A boot time console.

Create a boot console that allows a user to recover from a drive rather than removable media.

5. There must be more.

As it stands AX64 [ it needs a better name --> "The Way Back Machine" thank you Mr. Peabody] is an excellent and dead drop simple program to use. Even though I think ShadowProtect is better in terms of flexibility I often have to think about how to go about doing things. However, in AX64 it's rather obvious. With a few minor improvements that won't cause the simplicity of this program to suffer it could easily be the top dog. I'm impressed!

Manny,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. All of them are planned, and some of them are in the development at this moment and will be included into the upcoming release.

Isso

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I couldn't do what I wanted would y'all see if I missed something.

I installed my new SSD in the second bay of my laptop. I formated and it shows up nicely as a second drive which I assigned as E:\.

I booted to the recovery environment but could not figure out how to restore Win 8 from my first drive to E. I could restore fine for C on my first drive but nowhere else apparently.

I believe this was possible in ShadowProtect and I suppose I could do this by pulling out the 1st hard drive and replacing it with my new SSD but I wanted my way and my laptop is all buttoned up.

Did I miss something?

Manny,

As Peter mentioned we didn't include a feature to restore to specific drive in order to keep the program as simple as possible. That's why if the program detects the original drive it always goes ahead and restores to it. If you want to restore to another drive you need to unplug the original one. Hope this makes sense

Isso

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Much of this is a copy/paste from what I just posted at Wilders but not 100%.

Well, I FINALLY got around to installing this baby (Win7 system). Haven't done too much with it yet but I would like to say, this thing is insanely fast. (Doesn't that usually mean damn good programing engineers?) My initial backup (baseline or whatever) was 43 gig and it took 4 minutes 50 seconds! In all fairness my c:drive is a SSD but not the recovery drive. This was much faster that ShadowProtect ever did on my SSD and THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING.

Tested it just once for recovery, again, insanely fast, of course I had not made that many changes to my system at that point.

As Manny said above, this thing is "Dead drop simple to use". I have NEVER had a backup up program that was so easy to use. Isso and his fellow software engineers: Who are these guys? Overall first impression: :bow7:

Thanks to all who helped me get started on this, especially Peter2150.
Isso, if this thing continues to work this silky smooth, I will be purchasing a family license. (Manny, I will contact you for the coupon, thanks).

Acadia

EDIT: Just did another restore just for timing purposes. 1 minute, 20 seconds and that is including reboot. Remember, my c:drive is SSD, my recovery is mechanical (and not a Western Digital Velociraptor).

Acadia,

Thank you very much for sharing this information and your positive feedback! It really helps us to move forward.

Isso

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am 
welcoming committee

Reldel wrote:
I thought I should put my two cents into this thread.

I had/have been following the Wilders thread on AX64 for some time and about a month ago thought it was time for a trial. I installed it on two computers, a Dell XPS 8100 64 bit PC and a Vizio 64 bit Ultrabook, both with Windows 8 Pro. Both machines are set up with Standard User Accounts and use Windows Defender for security. Both machines use Software Restriction Policies through Group Policy. Nothing else special with either set up.

A good rule to follow. Always have at least two restore methods.

Sorry for the long tale.

Reldel,

Sorry for this problem. I remember you've sent this information to the support, and we started working on a fix right away. At this moment we are almost done and we are in the process of testing the improved restore method.

Isso

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:11 am 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
This is for Isso whenever he comes around.

While I haven't fully tested the recovery on AX64 it seems that in the case of this kind of interaction with automatic maintenance where the recovery process stalls that what is needed is a feature that enables the user to cancel the recovery process and it all gets rolled back. When a user corrupts Windows because the machine is turned off due to the hang then, even though it's a rare case, that's a very big price to pay. It's not exactly their fault because they have no real option at that point then just pulling the plug.

Manny,

I believe the problem is not related to Automatic maintenance. I think it just might be a co-incidence. In fact the restore is supposed to finish properly no matter what is happening on the machine.

Isso

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)