Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Task Scheduler Issue
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:09 pm 
welcoming committee

I went into Task Scheduler to make some changes to the frequency that I was running SyncToy. When I went to save my changes, this window popped up. I have no idea what this password would be...I didn't even know that Task Scheduler required a password. I tried my normal logon password and my Microsoft Account password, but neither worked. I am the Administrator on my computer. Help....
Attachment:
scheduler2.JPG
scheduler2.JPG [ 26.59 KiB | Viewed 3605 times ]

Post subject: Re: Task Scheduler Issue
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I really have no idea but the first thing that comes to mind is to right click on Task Scheduler and select to run as admin. This tends to work a bit different than just being logged in as an admin and running.

It has been so many years since I've used SyncToy that I doubt that I can be of any real help. I DO suspect that, since SyncToy is no longer really supported, it will eventually totally stop working as Windows 10 keeps evolving.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks for your response. I may be wrong, but I didn't see this as a SyncToy issue, but rather a Task Scheduler issue.

I'll try running Task Scheduler as Admin, although I am always confused as to what that really means since I am the one and only Account Administrator. What's the difference?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, thanks for your response. I may be wrong, but I didn't see this as a SyncToy issue, but rather a Task Scheduler issue.

I'll try running Task Scheduler as Admin, although I am always confused as to what that really means since I am the one and only Account Administrator. What's the difference?

I don't know that it IS a SyncToy issue but just suspect that it MIGHT be falling away from being compatible as Windows 10 continues to evolve. One just has to consider that Windows is evolving and SyncToy is not.

Sigh, the difference between being logged in as an admin account and right clicking and selecting to run as admin... I MAY be wrong but I think that right clicking and selecting to run as admin gives a bit more admin control than just being logged in as an admin. Keep in mind that there has been a default admin account since Windows Vista that does not show as a log in account option and is exempt from the User Account Control (UAC). While it is my thought I cannot prove but THINK that right clicking and selecting to run as admin invokes this hidden admin account therefore bypassing UAC.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:14 am 
Site Admin

I didn't reply yesterday because I agree that the first step would be to try "Run as Administrator" on Task Scheduler. When you select this option you are running a process with elevated privilege even if your account has Admin rights to begin with.
I don't feel that it is a SyncToy issue as the action you are taking in Task Scheduler to edit the task isn't actually invoking SyncToy. The error is specifically calling out a permissions problem, although it sure isn't a helpful message for pinpointing the cause!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the response, Steve. Run as Administrator didn't solve the problem. However, I will reboot my computer tonight and try again. My computer stays on 24/7, but occasionally I reboot and problems mysteriously seem to disappear, lol.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

If it still doesn't work after the reboot, see if you can create a new task - Run as Administrator.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, the suspense was killing me so I went ahead and rebooted. Then I ran Task Scheduler as Administrator and the problem had vanished! I was then able to incorporate the SyncToy changes I wanted and SyncToy ran as configured.

I bow to the expertise of Jay & Steve. But it still escapes me why/how "Run as Administrator" runs at a higher permissions level than when I run as the one/only "Account Administrator". I mean, who is suddenly granting me this elevated privilege on my own computer?

Nevertheless.....thanks to you both for leading my down the path of correctness.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 pm 

bbarry wrote:
I bow to the expertise of Jay & Steve. But it still escapes me why/how "Run as Administrator" runs at a higher permissions level than when I run as the one/only "Account Administrator". I mean, who is suddenly granting me this elevated privilege on my own computer?

I THINK but can't prove that when you select to 'run as admin' it invokes the Windows built in admin account that isn't seen. This account is not subject to UAC it would seem. In fact you have to do a registry hack to turn on UAC for this account. This admin account can be seen and logged into but that takes another registry hack. You don't see this account but it is there.

Again I can't prove but I believe that as long as you are logged in as an admin selecting to run as admin accesses special permissions contained within this hidden system admin account.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Jay's explanation is close, but not quite correct. :-)
The actual reason has to do with UAC, though. You are able to execute programs and take other actions because you are logged into Windows with credentials that have Admin rights. These rights are not passed on to applications, though. Actions that a program you execute or run will fail if they require Admin rights to take those actions -- based on the UAC level you have set. When you select "Run as Administrator" you, as an Admin user, are granting admin rights to the program you are running with that command.

Here's a more technical description of the process:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8986971/what-precisely-does-run-as-administrator-do

"When you log on Windows creates an access token. This identifies you, the groups you are a member of and your privileges. And note that whether a user is an administrator or not is determined by whether the user is a member of the Administrators group.

Without UAC, when you run a program it gets a copy of the access token, and this controls what the program can access.

With UAC, when you run a program it gets a restricted access token. The is the original access token with "Administrators" removed from the list of groups (and some other changes). Even though your user is a member of the Administrators group, the program can't use Administrator privileges.

When you select "Run as Administrator" and your user is an administrator the program is launched with the original unrestricted access token. If your user is not an administrator you are prompted for an administrator account, and the program is run under that account."

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 pm 

Thanks for the correction Steve :)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:14 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve & Jay. I do understand a little better now. And I can appreciate why it is best to keep UAC enabled.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)