Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

i was in the process of moving an email from my Inbox to a sub-folder (Inbox/Clubs/PATINA) and I clicked on move in the dialoag box when something happened. The folder PATINA was there but now it is gone. I do have a copy of the message that I was trying to put there but it showed up in a very strange way: is was in its own popup window with no options to click on except X.
I have tried to recreate the folder PATINA and it tells me the folder already exists. I can not find it.
Any help would be appreciated. I have used search in every manner that I know of and it does not find a folder PATINA, just a lot of emails with that in them.
Oh yes, Office 365

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Are you running Windows 10 version 2004 and do you use the 'Storage Spaces' feature? If so it may be due to a bug in Windows 10 ver. 2004 involving Storage Spaces.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4568129/issue-with-some-storage-spaces-configurations-after-updating-to-window

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Storage+Spaces+Issues&qpvt=storage+spaces+issues&FORM=EWRE

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:47 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Are you running Windows 10 version 2004 and do you use the 'Storage Spaces' feature? If so it may be due to a bug in Windows 10 ver. 2004 involving Storage Spaces.

Yes it is on 2004, but I am not using Storage Spaces.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OK, just a thought. Let's see what Steve has to say on the issue... Obviously he knows more about email and such than do I.

I will say that I had an issue with my email client, eM Client, where saved emails were mussing but not folders. Turned out it was caused by the storage folder being within my @hotmail.com account. I moved the storage folder outside of the account folder and the issue went away. Your issue MAY have something to do with the storage folder being within your inbox. :dunno:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:14 pm 
welcoming committee

BTW Move is working for other messages/folders.
I would just like to recover that folder as it contains a good deal of important information.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

In Outlook, at the bottom of the folder pane, click the 3 dots to expand and select "folders" for the navigation options. Then check the folder pane and walk down each folder shown, expanding each folder to see if it accidentally moved into another folder -- potentially into the Deleted Items folder.
If you still can't locate it, see if you can use the Search box to search for an item that you know was in the missing folder. The results list will tell you what folder the item is in -- hopefully, that will lead you to the missing folder.
If neither works, it is possible that the personal folder store was corrupted. Scanpst.exe can usually repair the file. If you need to go down that path and need some guidance, let me know.
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve,
By activating the folder pane it gave me a slightly different picture. It showed the missing folder in its proper location. However the icon was not the same as for other Outlook folders. I could access what was there but they opened strangely. I have been able to determine that they are in notes format. All the files have been changed into notes.
I am going to try your last suggestion and will get back to you when I have accomplished that.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I wrote my previous response early this morning but somehow it did not get sent.
So I am back sooner than expected.
I ran Scanpst.exe which took about 2.5 hours the first time. When I got to the part to click on repair (and create a backup) the program would hang with 100% disk usage. I stopped the program and ran it again. This time I did not create the backup as it was already created from the previous execution of the program.
The program said: Not Responding, but I went away and left it and ate lunch. Upon my return it said Repair Complete.
Unfortunately the folder is still a Note folder. I sort of expected that to happen as since Note Folders are allowed the repair program did not think it was an error.
The properties of the folder say it is: Folder containing Note items. I suspect there is no way to change that.
I can at least read the notes and am thinking I will change the name of the folder, then create a new folder of the old name so that I do not have to deal with a lot of rule changes.
If there is any other solution or help I am listening and ready to try it.
Again, Thanks.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

That's a strange one, Bill.
I haven't found an easy way to change the properties of a folder from Notes to Mail and Post (I found a VBA code snippet, but no idea how to run it...). Try the following:
- Create a new folder in any location -- it should be a Mail and Post type folder by default.
- Drag and drop a few items in your "missing" folder to the new folder.
If that works and the messages move as Mail items and not Notes, proceed with all remaining items and delete the old folder.
If that doesn't work, the next option is tedious, but it will at least turn the individual objects back into Messages. I don't know if some properties such as the mail headers will get screwed up, though.
- Click on the "missing" folder in the folder/navigation pane so that the contents are displayed, albeit as notes.
- Highlight the first "note" and then go to File/Save As in Outlook's menu.
- Save the "note" as type .msg (which should be the default) unicode format to a folder on your hard drive. (I suggest creating a new temporary folder for this).
- Repeat for all items in the "missing" folder.
All of the items are now on your hard drive outside of the .pst (message store/Personal Folders file) as files with the .msg extension.
- In Outlook create a new folder for mail items.
- Open File Explorer and Outlook side by side with the folder on your hard drive displaying the.msg files and Outlook open to the new empty folder.
- Drag and drop the .msg files from File Explorer to the new folder in Outlook.

Fingers crossed.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, Just wanted to let let you know that I have not had time to sit down and follow your instructions. I feel I need undisturbed time to do this.
I have been busy with things here at home and Dr's and updates to my computers also coming in.
I will let you know if I have any success soon, but I am not holding out much hope, as you said the headers may be long gone.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

I look forward to your update when you have the time. I actually am hopeful that the headers aren't gone, and that the Notes view is simply ignoring the excess data since the various email fields are not part of the Notes view.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)