Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi --
I've been planning for yrs to get Office 365 but now my Excel 2007 doesn't open files with this message that its now retired. I've been using Excel almost 2 or more times a wk just for my budget and never saw any alert or message but its now time to get the update; hopefully its not too late to keep my wksheets.

First, will it be possible with Office 365 Home which includes what I need: Excel, Word and Outlook to use my backups from this 2007 version to transfer to the new Office 365 Home even though Excel 2007 is expired? I am planning to install the new Office on my new laptop and the backups I have are only copies of the directory for each program (Outlook, Excel, Word) not an image as I don't have an imaging software. I've been putting off this transfer because it was easier to hang in there with 2007. Now I hope its not too difficult since I'm installing on a new laptop. I won't need to install on a 2nd laptop so maybe I could get the '365 Personal' instead of the Home.

As I was typing this, I tried again to close Excel and open it again and it opened and even allowed me to open the current budget file I use. But I think my luck is running out and still want to get either the Home or Personal version. Could someone verify, is Excel 2007 really expired? At one point a message came up that resources did not allow the program to open but my C: drive has 337GB free space; its possible memory is the problem, its my oldest laptop. Memory is 6gb, 5.47gb useable. But I still want to buy the new 365. Just hope its not too late with this expired message.

I've tried other versions of these programs not MS but I really like the MS Office version.

Can someone help? I couldn't find this subject on a search.
Thanks so much all! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I find it odd that you are getting that sort of message now as Office 2007 reached end of life (or was retired) over two years ago, 10/10/2017 to be precise. In fact I have Office 2007 installed on a Windows 7 virtual machine and I just checked it. Everything in Office 2007 works fine whether loading through Excel, Word or Publisher or double clicking on a saved file. I also didn't come up with any results for a search of "excel 2007 retired message" that applies. The only time that you should get that message is if you try to use "Help". Have you done full security scans? If you go ahead and do security scans please save all your Office documents to a flash drive first as it is not impossible that it could be a pending hardware failure that is the actual issue. Your free drive space and memory are fine but could be failing. The intermittent nature of this makes me think this may be likely.

Yes, Office 365 should open your Excel sheets without issue. Office 2007 has reached end of life/is retired, the data files have not and are fully compatible with Office 365. By data files I mean your Excel sheets, Word documents, etc..

As to Home or Personal versions of Office 365 I use the Personal version and have it installed on four Windows installs. On the surface it looks like you can only install Office 365 Personal on one device but that is not actually the case. You can install on as many systems as you want but can only have an Office app open on five systems at the same time.
Microsoft wrote:
• For one person
• For use on multiple PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones (including Windows, iOS, and Android*) <= Key point.
• Premium versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Outlook, plus Publisher and Access for PC only
• 1TB OneDrive cloud storage with advanced security
• Collaborate on documents with others online
• Tech support via chat or phone with Microsoft experts
• Annual or monthly subscription. Your subscription will automatically continue. Cancel anytime.

The Personal version would save you money but there could be an issue. When it says that the Personal version is for one person it is really saying one Microsoft account. It seems that all systems on which Office 365 Personal is installed have to use the same Microsoft Account. Unless you want to install on systems with different Microsoft accounts go with the Personal version and save $30.00/year or $3.00/month. See this post that I made about a week ago. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2310

LOL! In my normal overly verbose way I think I've covered things. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm 
welcoming committee

You mentioned if I used help I would get that message and I did click on help thinking I might find a link to 'Repair' in case this was a repair need issue but I think that's exactly when it happened. I will do a full security scan with my scan ware and let you know what the results are.

I read your entire post and never thought it verbose :). I needed every syllable. If I did share the program with another computer it would be a laptop which would be another MS device. I'd probably be safer to go with the Home.

I'd like to try for a month because I think it'll take me that long to get Word, Outlook and Excel loaded with the data files. You did say the data files would be safe and usable on 365 so that is a relief.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 pm 

katy98 wrote:
If I did share the program with another computer it would be a laptop which would be another MS device. I'd probably be safer to go with the Home.

It isn't a matter of being a different MS device. It is just a matter of the device using the same Microsoft account. The device Microsoft account can be changed if actually needed.

Sigh, I'm not even really sure if the actual device needs to be the same Microsoft account association since my systems are not on a Microsoft account for login but, rather, local accounts. I THINK, but can't really prove, that you just need to log in to the Microsoft account for the system for which Office was initially bought on another system and then select to install on the device. I'm pretty sure on this but can't say it is absolute fact. In my case, using systems using a local account, I see no association between systems except for Office 365.

Let's look at the only real difference between the Home and Personal versions. It seems to me that the real difference is that the Home version includes 1TB of One Drive storage for each of the allowed six people totaling 6TB of One Drive storage. With the Personal version you get 1TB of One Drive storage period. That 1TB of One Drive storage is accessible to all systems on which the Personal version has been installed but each install does not have its own 1TB of One Drive storage..

As a strong recommendation I have to suggest that you try the trial version of the Personal version and see what happens when you try to install on different systems. Just remember that you will have to log in on the same Microsoft account to install on each system.

PLEASE ask questions if needed. I read the above and it almost seems cryptic but I can't come up with another way to phrase.

As an added note I just installed Office 365 on my Windows 10 virtual machine and all worked fine. I went to Microsoft.com then signed in. I went to my account and then chose Office and then install. Once installed I had to enter my Microsoft account credentials to finish activation. Once done everything was cool. Again I have to suggest that you try the trial of the Personal edition of Office 365 to see if it works for you to save some money.

LOL! If interested in why I have all these virtual machines (Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and Linux) it so I can troubleshoot most issues without actually involving my main system.

LOL! (again) And thanks for saying that I'm not overly verbose. :geek: I could cut this post in half as to length but, we are about helping the novice so I give as much detail as I possibly can. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

If you will only be installing Office 365 on *your* own computers, Personal is the cheaper option. Home allows you to share it with other family members on their own PCs (and devices). For example, I have a Home subscription so that my wife can use it on her computer and I can use it on my computers. You activate Office 365 by signing in with your Microsoft account, so in my case, I am signed in with my account and my wife is signed in with hers. If there were other family members living with us, I could share it with up to 4 additional people. There is no limit to the number of installs, as Jay noted. The only limitation is how many computers can be signed in and in use at the same time for each account. It's unlikely that one would hit that concurrent limit of 5, I would think. :-)

Personal is $3.00/month or $30.00/year cheaper than Home!
https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Sigh, I'm not even really sure if the actual device needs to be the same Microsoft account association since my systems are not on a Microsoft account for login but, rather, local accounts. I THINK, but can't really prove, that you just need to log in to the Microsoft account for the system for which Office was initially bought on another system and then select to install on the device. I'm pretty sure on this but can't say it is absolute fact. In my case, using systems using a local account, I see no association between systems except for Office 365.

When you install Office 365 on each PC, you would enter your Microsoft Account used for the subscription to activate. If you cancel your subscription, Office 365 would stop working (well, go into limited mode, I believe), because of that Account/Subscription association.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:14 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

When you install Office 365 on each PC, you would enter your Microsoft Account used for the subscription to activate. If you cancel your subscription, Office 365 would stop working (well, go into limited mode, I believe), because of that Account/Subscription association.

Thanks Steve for the added input. What you say is what I've seen doing tests.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Attachment:
New Picture (5).jpg
New Picture (5).jpg [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 4790 times ]
Jay & Steve, Thanks a bunch and real quick just need to mention that I would like to install 365 Personal (now with more info :)) on the new laptop Asus. It was chosen/built for 365. The old laptop I have and is showing issues of dying is about 8 yrs old and has space but only 6 gb of memory so that may not allow. The other laptop is a win 7* and since MS decided to let 7 die, it wouldn't be safe to try to install there tho it only has 4gb of memory & 166gb of free space. No other users involved with this subscription. I'll definitely do the trial of the Personal for a yr on the Asus and see how that installs with me as the User ;).

I'm curious what the 'Microsoft account' would entail. Currently I still have a very old login (user name/password) that I used for Hotmail but it was always iffy so stopped trying to use it. I don't need to login anywhere with my current MS 2007 suite but its super old. Once I can get past that, the install and usage should probably all go well. Could I just start with a new login for this 365 suite and how would I set that up?

Also, if 365 would work on the Windows 7 machine with 4gb memory/166 hd space, I've been getting this error message every time I did an update and it happened again tonite altho support has expired. Would this message pose a problem with 'Microsoft Account' ? if I did attempt to install, just for backup, not to sync or keep both versions current. Jay & Steve, Thanks a bunch and real quick just need to mention that I would like to install 365 Personal (now with more info :)) on the new laptop Asus. It was chosen/built for 365. The old laptop I have and is showing issues of dying is about 8 yrs old and has space but only 6 gb of memory so that may not allow. The other laptop is a win 7* and since MS decided to let 7 die, it wouldn't be safe to try to install there tho it only has 4gb of memory & 166gb of free space. No other users involved with this subscription. I'll definitely do the trial of the Personal for a yr on the Asus and see how that installs with me as the User ;).

I'm curious what the 'Microsoft account' would entail. Currently I still have a very old login (user name/password) that I used for Hotmail but it was always iffy so stopped trying to use it. I don't need to login anywhere with my current MS 2007 suite but its super old. Once I can get past that, the install and usage should probably all go well. Could I just start with a new login for this 365 suite and how would I set that up?

Also, if 365 would work on the Windows 7 machine with 4gb memory/166 hd space, I've been getting this error message every time I did an update and it happened again tonite altho support has expired. Would this message pose a problem with 'Microsoft Account' ? if I did attempt to install, just for backup, not to sync or keep both versions current.

I'll be back hopefully tomorrow or Sunday but will be back. Thanks for ALL your help!!! ks

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 pm 

I would say it is probably easier to just create a new Microsoft account. I believe that you will have the option to create an account on the purchase page for Office 365. If I remember right it will be something like asking you to log in to your account or to create an account.

And Yes, Office 365 should work fine in Windows 7 unless Microsoft has put a block due to Windows 7 hitting end of life which I doubt and have not heard of anything like that.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ditto to everything Jay said.
Expanding on the Microsoft Account, it can be any email address you choose, with a password you create (not the same password used to access that email) for the account. Creating a new @outlook.com account gives you the added benefit of having access to email using that account in addition to your regular email account.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-is-microsoft-account

https://account.microsoft.com/account

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:55 am 

I have the Home version of 365, the subscription is in my name but I then sent a link to hubby so he could install on his laptop and desktop. I have it installed on my 2 laptops and 1 desktop, as far as a Microsoft account it's just my Hotmail email addy and password.

Katy, you mentioned that you didn't have a backup program, can I recommend Macrium Reflect, it has a free version and is very widely recommended. I use a portable external hard drive that plugs into my laptop via USB to send backups to.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay Steve and Joan! Its been so nice here in central WI it took longer to get back so thanks for your patience.

I'll see if my current MS login still works and if not, I'll just choose to set up a new one, if that's how the login comes up. I assume I would need to do a download of the free 1 mo version and I'll do that on my newest Asus laptop and will deal with installing on the Win7 laptop after all looks well on the Asus (if MS put a block on it, so be it). I'll check out the Macrium Reflect that Joan mentioned (Thanks Joan!) and use my portable external hard drive for that as well. I'm not sure how that backup would incorporate with the newly downloaded 365 but will deal with that when the the time comes. (Normally I would just replace existing directories (if that's the term) with my backed up ones but I have a feeling the new 365 setup is likely different but will see when its installed. All new to me.)

I hope to get at this download by early March or earlier if we get another big snowfall; the weather here is finally so nice, its great to get out. Thanks all and will keep you posted.......katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:47 pm 

Let us know. :) Keep in mind that the install of the trial for Office 365 MAY be different than purchased Office 365. I would log in/create a Microsoft account first and then install the trial on one system. Then go to the same Microsoft account on the other system and see if it shows an Office install option. That is how it would work if purchased.

When Joan mentioned Macrium Reflect she was referring to an image backup, not data as in files and folders. It makes an image of your system drive which may or may not include your data. Say that your hard drive blows up. You would throw in a new drive and use the recovery CD/DVD created with Macrium Reflect to restore the image of the original drive. Your system would be right back to where it was at the time of the last image backup. Personally I prefer Disk Wizard/Acronis but Macrium Reflect is reported to work fine. While Disk Wizard is a free version of Acronis it required that there be a Seagate drive mounted in the system. I'm not sure if a Seagate external would qualify.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)