Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Does this look like a hoax?

https://disway.shop/product/ms_office_2019proplus?fbclid=IwAR1N1nZCMPkmvks5jE8Ay-jY3mDNlcNg_qUjK5ErUv0Ut5TMBsvgaSEz1-I

They show the retail price as $439.99 and the selling price only $39.99

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It is a good price but I would not trust.

First, they lie about the retail price of Office 2019 which is actually $149.99 directly from Microsoft. Yes, they are also claiming to have the package also include Office 365 but you can't outright buy Office 365 as it is subscription based.
https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?&activetab=tab%3aprimaryr1
If the license is actually legit I would guess that what you are getting is, at best, Office 2019 and a one year subscription of Office 365. Directly through Microsoft that combination would cost $249.98.

Second, the site lies about the end of the sale time limit. If you go to your link there is a time limit count down starting at 8 minutes, 45 seconds. Let the timer count down go for a while then leave the page and go back. The count down timer is back to 8 minutes, 45 seconds. This is a bogus sale tactic that makes you think that you have to act quick which makes a lot of people act before really thinking. I commend you for not immediately falling for this bogus tactic.

Also, the domain of https://disway.shop was only created 28 days ago so has not had enough time to be black listed if it is a bogus site. What concerns me here is the short time of existence. Sure, it is quite possible that a legit site just went up 28 days ago but, considering the count down timer scam and the price fraud, I would have to avoid this site.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it's a scam. I can't say specifically what this site is doing, but others like it sell you a license key from an Enterprise which isn't legal.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Yes, it's a scam. I can't say specifically what this site is doing, but others like it sell you a license key from an Enterprise which isn't legal.

Thanks guys........I will stay clear of Disway Shop. The "Edge" browser that I downloaded has continued to work ok. It's kind of a mystery to me why they waited until Windows 7 support ended before they let a 7 die hard like me use it.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

The new Edge browser was released at about the same time that support for Windows 7 ended. ;-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)