Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:39 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Can you provide a step by step with screen snips of what happens when you create a new file and select save?

Steve, there's really nothing to see. We started Word, typed a sentence, and clicked on Save As. Nothing happens....no dialog whatsoever as regards desired file name, saved location. etc. And if I then click on Word Options and go to Save to see the default file location, the file is not located where it says it should be; furthermore, the Browse button is dead so I can't change the default location.

And I do know how to search for files....his Word file is just not there.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Remind me of the version of Office 2007; Home, Ultimate?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:06 am 
welcoming committee

Try right clicking Word to open it and run it as administrator, sometimes that is needed one time to get it to work right.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 am 

dvair wrote:
Try right clicking Word to open it and run it as administrator, sometimes that is needed one time to get it to work right.

Not a bad thought David but, BB, in Windows 10 it is likely that Office 2007 apps will not offer to run as admin on a right click. Still not a problem though. If run as admin is not available on a right click select properties then compatibility. In compatibility you can select to run as admin.

Just curious BB. Did you ever try running Word in safe mode by holding the CTRL key and launching?

BTW, Installed Office 2007 Ultimate on my up to date Windows 10 main system and have no issues. However I did not install Outlook. Unless Outlook is the cause of the issue there seems to be no compatibility problems. From a few things I found it is possible that Outlook could cause this issue. Going back to running as admin on a right click, I do not have the option. Also my 2007 install is an MSDN download which MAY be different than the retail version.

This thread has become rather convoluted as to suggestions back and forth. You may want to go back through and make sure that you have not missed anything.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I know that lots of information has been back and forth. Where are we now?
Is Office 2007 Home and Student currently installed from the disc?
If it is installed, can you verify that the same issue exists with PowerPoint?
Did you review the item about Malwarebytes I posted yesterday? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... fdf?page=3
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:32 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, I'm sorry....I should have posted sooner, but I was just worn out. I tried all recommendations except for the registry and Malwarebytes.

Last night I reached a point of being tired of messing with this installation...my friend can afford to purchase his own Office 2007 or even a later version that his wife might be happy with. I did download LibreOffice to his computer....if his wife likes Writer and Calc, then no need for him to purchase Office.

I read someplace where Microsoft actually puts a limit (6?) on the number of installs, after which you need to call and explain things. But who do I call now, lol? I think we must have run into this 'number of installs' limit over the years, even though Office 2007 was currently being run on only one or two computers

Thanks again for all the support I received from everyone. :D

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:36 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

Thanks, David. I tried that with no success. I also tried the program compatibility troubleshooter and that didn't help. As I explained to Steve in my previous post, I gave up trying the installation. I did install LibreOffice for my friend....if his wife doesn't like that, he can afford to buy another and perhaps newer Office, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not aware of a "hard" 6 install limit -- if you had hit a limit, Office would not have activated and you'd be prompted to call and explain why it is being installed again. The limit involves # of activations over time, so the fact that it activated means that the limit wasn't triggered.
Your workaround is certainly reasonable. If he really wants Office, he can purchase Office 2016 Home and Student -- US$150 from Microsoft, US$120 from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi ... way&sr=8-4.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, not saying they are correct, but here is where I read about the possibility of limits:
https://www.techspot.com/community/topi ... it.135304/

However, our Office 2007 did activate, except that it didn't work properly. And since it is no longer supported by M/S, who do you call?

Anyway, Office 2007 has been uninstalled, LibreOffice is onboard my friend's computer, his wife is playing around with Libre.....if she doesn't like it, then my friend is out $120, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:42 pm 

There is truth and and not in your above link BB. Yes, there is a limit on how many times some products can be activated but, if exceeded, is not permanent. I had this happen ages ago with a Windows install. Exceeded the number activation's and had to call. Around a year later I had cause to install again and activation went through without issue. This leads me to figure that the limit is for a number of activation's over a specific period of time.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, it's been a rough 2 days....I don't like having to work on someone else's computer, especially sitting in front of them as they watch my ever slow but cautious moves. But I should have mentioned to you:
- I didn't pursue the MBAM item you referenced because my friend didn't purchase/install MBAM on his new computer until after we had encountered the Word Save As issue at least once
- I didn't pursue the Registry changes because I was reluctant to change the Registry on his new computer. I am comfortable making changes on my computer.

Thanks again for all your sage advice....

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:00 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
There is truth and and not in your above link BB. Yes, there is a limit on how many times some products can be activated but, if exceeded, is not permanent. I had this happen ages ago with a Windows install. Exceeded the number activation's and had to call. Around a year later I had cause to install again and activation went through without issue. This leads me to figure that the limit is for a number of activation's over a specific period of time.

Could be, Jay, I was probably just grasping at straws. And for all I know, over the past 12 years my Office 2007 could have been installed (and still resided) on more than 3 computers. I didn't think so, but my memory just doesn't go back that far these days.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
Steve, it's been a rough 2 days....I don't like having to work on someone else's computer, especially sitting in front of them as they watch my ever slow but cautious moves. But I should have mentioned to you:
- I didn't pursue the MBAM item you referenced because my friend didn't purchase/install MBAM on his new computer until after we had encountered the Word Save As issue at least once
- I didn't pursue the Registry changes because I was reluctant to change the Registry on his new computer. I am comfortable making changes on my computer.

Thanks again for all your sage advice....

No worries on not doing the MBAM thing -- it was a long shot, in my opinion. And, as you noted that his problem existed prior to the installation of MBAM.
As for the registry change -- another long shot since you had done a few reinstalls.
I'm curious, as I am sure you are, what the cause of the problem is/was, but remote support is quite difficult. I applaud you for your efforts for your friend *and* the eventual workaround provided!

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm 

Actually this is rather late in the game but I'm a bit ashamed that I never suggested deleting the global Word template, Normal.dotm, and allowing Word to recreate. While a corrupt Normal.dotm file has the potential to cause the issue it does not explain the same issue with Excel unless Personal.xlsb is also corrupt. Personal.xlsb is Excel's global template.

Another possible solution I didn't think to mention would have been to set Properties>Compatibility to Windows 7.

Could it be a compatibility issue with the new Velocity system? Possibly but not likely. If you remember, BB, you had a compatibility issue with your newest Velocity that was resolved unless my memory fails. I believe that it dealt with an SSD drive.

I detest unresolved issues! :(

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Actually this is rather late in the game but I'm a bit ashamed that I never suggested deleting the global Word template, Normal.dotm, and allowing Word to recreate. While a corrupt Normal.dotm file has the potential to cause the issue it does not explain the same issue with Excel unless Personal.xlsb is also corrupt. Personal.xlsb is Excel's global template.
I did research how to delete/recreate the template normal.dotm but never got around to doing it. Like you said, that would not have solved the Excel problem. At that point I was really getting tired, as I had tried so many things.

Another possible solution I didn't think to mention would have been to set Properties>Compatibility to Windows 7.
I did try that...no help. I don't remember the exact wording, but I got no help when I ran the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.

Could it be a compatibility issue with the new Velocity system? Possibly but not likely. If you remember, BB, you had a compatibility issue with your newest Velocity that was resolved unless my memory fails. I believe that it dealt with an SSD drive.
You are correct (what a memory!). The incompatibility was between the hardware they assembled and the older Win 7 OS that I requested (instead of Win 10). After they recognized their screw-up, they sent me a special driver so that my Samsung SSD would play well with Win 7.

I detest unresolved issues!
Me too, Jay, but I just couldn't take any more of that fun. I would have bought my friend a new Office if he hadn't decided to try Libre.
:(

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 pm 

Hey BB, just curious about something. Did you do all the updates for Office 2007? I got a bunch of them this morning including SP3.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey BB, just curious about something. Did you do all the updates for Office 2007? I got a bunch of them this morning including SP3.

I don't recall doing so. I should have thought of that since the disc was about 12 years old.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)