Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am 
welcoming committee

A friend installed Office 2007 on his new Velocity Win 10 computer. Word seems to be working right in that he can create a Word document; however:

Short Description of Problem
He can never find the document after creating it and trying to save it. I should mention that the same problem happens when creating/saving an Excel worksheet.

Detailed Description of Problem
- After he creates a Word document and does a 'save as', he never gets to choose a file name or destination directory. Nor can he ever locate the document, which Word has now titled 'Document 1' (which leads me to believe that Word is saving his document someplace).

- If he goes into Word Options and looks at the default file location for saving documents, it says:
C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Word
But he does not find his document there.

- If he then clicks on the Browse button to try and change the location to a folder that he created under Word entitled 'Joe Word Files', the Browse button is dead (nothing happens)

- So he then typed in the full file path:
C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Word\Joe Word Files

- But he still can't find his Word document...the Documents\Word folder and the Documents\Word\Joe Word Files are both empty.

Attempted Solutions thus Far:
I had him run the Troubleshooter for Program Compatibility but that didn't resolve the issue. I then had him go into Control Panel>Programs & Features and do a 'change' on Office 2007.....after that process was completed, it asked him if that solved his problem. It did not.

The next step would probably be an uninstall/reinstall of Office 2007, but before doing that he was hoping to figure out what is going wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance......

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 am 
welcoming committee

Did you check that he can see "all" types of files? Perhaps you are not seeing the file type?
Instead of doing all the typing of the location, try using the File Explorer from the Task Bar.
Perhaps the file is not being saved in .docx format?
All suggestions and some might work.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am 
Site Admin

First of all, Office 2007 is long out of support, meaning that there is a much higher risk as no security fixes have been available for it for over a year now -- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ed-support

As to the location of saved files, try:
Use the Windows Search bar to search for "Document 1"

In Windows File Explorer, navigate to his Documents folder and review the structure to see if the folders he created previously are in fact there.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Did he enter a proper product key code?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
First of all, Office 2007 is long out of support, meaning that there is a much higher risk as no security fixes have been available for it for over a year now -- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ed-support
Thanks, Steve. Yes, he and I are aware of that....'twas his choice.

As to the location of saved files, try:
Use the Windows Search bar to search for "Document 1"
Steve, I did that and the search revealed nothing. But again, I'm not sure it was ever actually saved. But yet it showed 'Document 1' on the top line where it says Word - non commercial use.

In Windows File Explorer, navigate to his Documents folder and review the structure to see if the folders he created previously are in fact there.
He went all over the Documents structure and could not find the document. But as he reported, he was never asked for a name or location to save.

I had my friend install Team Viewer last night so I can access his computer later on. But I did a quick check last night and couldn't find his missing document...I even created one of my own and couldn't find it either. So I will be further investigating, but was hoping to get some sage advice before I did.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:10 pm 
welcoming committee

BillG wrote:
Did you check that he can see "all" types of files? Perhaps you are not seeing the file type?
Instead of doing all the typing of the location, try using the File Explorer from the Task Bar.
Perhaps the file is not being saved in .docx format?
All suggestions and some might work.

Bill, thanks for you input. We did all kinds of searches and couldn't find his file. But I plan on using Team Viewer to help him later this weekend. Word 2007 is just acting strangely.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:19 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did he enter a proper product key code?

Not sure how to answer that....I assume he entered the correct key code, since he got the message that Office 2007 had been successfully installed. And he is able to create both Word and Excel documents....he just can't save and find them.

I hope to now use Team Viewer to help him with this issue, and I thought I might need a little guidance. I've used Office 2007 for 12 years and never had a problem with it. Although I have Office 2016 on my Win 10 computer, I still use 2007 on my old Win 7 computer.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 pm 

When you tried to save your file as save as did you get the save dialog?

Anyway, try changing the default save location. By default the default save should be "C:\Users\Joe\Documents", not "C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Word". Click on the MS flag in the upper right and select "Word Options" then to "Save". Find "Default file location" and click "Browse". Select a folder outside of the protected user folder. See what happens.

<edit>
If you continue to not get a save as dialog I see no other choice but to remove and reinstall. Well, you could always go to Libre Office. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
When you tried to save your file as save as did you get the save dialog?
I don't think so, and therein was his problem. And it was late last night when I tried, but I don't remember such a dialog. I will be using Team Viewer in the morning to try and duplicate the problem.

Anyway, try changing the default save location. By default the default save should be "C:\Users\Joe\Documents", not "C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Word". Click on the MS flag in the upper right and select "Word Options" then to "Save". Find "Default file location" and click "Browse".
Select a folder outside of the protected user folder. See what happens.
Like I said above, the Browse button is dead.
<edit>
If you continue to not get a save as dialog I see no other choice but to remove and reinstall. Well, you could always go to Libre Office. :mrgreen:
Yea, reinstall may be the answer. But I was hoping that either the Change or Troubleshooter would have fixed any install problem. His wife is the secretary for our Property Owner's Association and she uses Word 2007 for all her work. She is already upset at him for getting a new computer, and she is not about to use Libre instead of Word (I know, I know....but YOU try and convince her). Besides, I promised her that I would be seeking help from Computer Haven, lol.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm 

While I seriously doubt it, it is a possibility that it could be a permissions issue although that does not answer the lack of the save as dialog. Still, you might try getting Take Ownership from our download page and running it on the documents folder.

Also check to see if PowerPivot is installed. I THINK it is an Office addon. If it is there get rid of it. Same for Active Writeback.

If Outlook is installed, and not needed, remove it.

Make sure that all Office components were set to install entire feature.

This article may also help.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... wsignin1.0

Try running Word in Safe Mode; hold down the CTRL key and open Word. See what happens.

Don't forget my old standby of shutting down and removing all power...

Other than that I don't think I have much more to offer.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

"Word - non commercial use" indicates that it is the Home and Student version. Check Help/About to insure that it is properly activated -- the "dead" browse button when looking at the default save option is strange and makes me think that it isn't activated, which allows viewing of documents, but not saving. However, I would expect you to see a dialog when trying to save announcing that or a dialog from Word/Excel to notify you that it isn't activated -- suggesting that it is activated.
The key here will be to follow and note the steps carefully and observe exactly what happens. It sure does appear that nothing saved based on your research so far.
Here is a long shot solution I just found for a similar problem report --
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... fdf?page=3
"SOLVED for me

If you have malewarebytes it can mess up the browse button search with Word. Go to malewarebytes > settings > protection > manage protected Applications and turn Microsoft Office Word off."

Note that this thread was started by someone with the problem in only Word. Another solution that worked for some was to rename the normal.dot template file as it was corrupt. Since your friend is having the issue in both Word and Excel, I don't believe that the normal.dot solution is valid.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 pm 

LOL! Good luck finding 'Help/About'. :)

Goto the MS flag and select Options. Drop down to Resources. Click to activate. If it is already activated it will report that is the case. If not activated it will attempt to do so. If it fails it brings us back to the question as to if a valid key code was entered.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

It's been so long since I used Office 2007, I forgot where the "About" dialog was located. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

It's been so long since I used Office 2007, I forgot where the "About" dialog was located. :-)

Steve, it's there, at least the About part is. Jay just doesn't know how to find it, lol. Or maybe he does and he is just teasing you.

Here's how:
Click on Word Options, then Resources, then last entry is "About Word"

Actually, Jay sent me to Resources to check for Activation (it had been activated).

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:25 pm 
welcoming committee

To Jay, Steve & Bill G - Well, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2007. Unfortunately I encountered the same problems with Word & Excel.

So before my friend purchases a new Office suite, I am going to try one more thing. I am going to uninstall again and then try a download using his product key. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for all your help......

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 pm 
welcoming committee

I guess I spoke too soon. I can't find a safe place to download Office 2007 if I already have a Product Key. Any recommendations? Thanks......

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Where is the original copy of the installer from? A disc? I don't believe that using a different source will resolve the issue.
What antivirus program is installed? Or is it using Windows Defender for security?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Can you provide a step by step with screen snips of what happens when you create a new file and select save?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Another back pocket thing to try.
Note that this involves editing the registry. If you're not comfortable with that, don't. If you want the detailed steps, I can provide them (or jay if he gets back here before I do)
Delete this registry key. It is recreated when Word opens.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
(from method 3 at this link -- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... r-use-word)
You noted that Excel had the same issue. If the above works for Word, we'll need to look for the same key for Excel.
What other programs were installed with Office 2007? Powerpoint? Can it save files?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm 

Also you did not give the state of activation.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Also you did not give the state of activation.

"Actually, Jay sent me to Resources to check for Activation (it had been activated)."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:11 pm 

Oops! I missed that... :(

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Oops! I missed that... :(

:D

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Where is the original copy of the installer from? A disc? I don't believe that using a different source will resolve the issue.
What antivirus program is installed? Or is it using Windows Defender for security?

Steve, the original installation (and subsequent installation after an uninstall) was from his DVD disc, all packaged up in the plastic Office 2007 case. Using a different source may not resolve the issue, but I certainly can't do it using his disc.

This disc has been around for awhile and I'm sure used to install on several computers. But he thinks that Office 2007 now resides only on one other computer. This Home & Office version allows it to be run on 3 computers concurrently, but there may be a limit on the number of times it can be installed and uninstalled (I seem to remember 6 times). He might have surpassed this limit.

He uses Defender and the current Malware Bytes Premium.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:32 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Another back pocket thing to try.
Note that this involves editing the registry. If you're not comfortable with that, don't. If you want the detailed steps, I can provide them (or jay if he gets back here before I do)
Delete this registry key. It is recreated when Word opens.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
(from method 3 at this link -- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... r-use-word)
You noted that Excel had the same issue. If the above works for Word, we'll need to look for the same key for Excel.
What other programs were installed with Office 2007? Powerpoint? Can it save files?

Steve, I feel comfortable doing minor edits to my registry, but I'm a little hesitant editing his. We actually installed everything on the disc, which included Powerpoint, OneNote and a few utilities....whatever came on the disc.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)