Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just updated my main system to Acronis True Image 2018. May seem early but it is out and, as I'm an existing customer, I get a license for three systems for $29.99. If I wait till the end of the year I would pay twice the amount.

Anyway, the above is not the purpose of this post. It is just to show why I updated so early.

Acronis 2018 now includes anti ransomware. Is it any good? I have no clue but, if it is OK, it makes doing images on an internal drive possibly safer. If nothing else it is another security layer while using a package I already use.
Acronis wrote:
Prevent ransomware from encrypting your files before it starts. Acronis Active Protection uses heuristic analysis and machine learning to detect, stop and reverse the effects of ransomware. Included in all editions of Acronis True Image 2018, and a Mac-version is now available as well.

It also seems to monitor running processes for suspicious activity.
Acronis wrote:
Monitor the number of processes that have been flagged as potentially dangerous, identify which ones were blocked, and manage a whitelist so your trusted applications can run uninterrupted. The dashboard provides metrics that show how Acronis Active Protection is defending your system.

Yes, these features can be disabled but I think I'll let them run to see if there is any impact on my system performance.

The above quotes are from:
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/whats-new/

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I also got notification that as an existing customer I can upgrade three computers to ATI 2018 for $29.99. I've been contemplating, but since you seem to like it I think I will do the upgrades. Are the steps for doing image backups still the same? I ask because it took me awhile to understand & implement the process, which I can now do without issue.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 pm 

The upgrade will not affect existing schedules as long as you upgrade instead of un-installing and doing a clean install. Even if you were to un-install I THINK that the un-install process will ask if you want to keep settings. If you do so I THINK that your schedules would still survive. Regardless there is no reason to un-install, just upgrade. After the upgrade my schedule remained fine.

As to doing manual images it looks the same as the 2017 version.

Apparently the internal workings have changed but not the user interface from what I've seen. If you do the upgrade you will likely notice that Acronis has no info on your existing images(s). Will the existing image still work? I don't know. I just manually told it to make a new image and all was fine. While I think this is frivolous Acronis not gives a graphic representation of the image. I'll include a screen shot at the end. It would also seem that the CD/DVD recovery media has changed. I would suggest burning a new disk to be safe.

As an important note there MAY be a conflict between Acronis 2018 and MBAM Premium. I upgraded to Acronis 2018 yesterday and today noticed that MBAM had reverted to the free version. Trying to re-enter the MBAM code fails saying that I have exceeded my usage level which equates to it being on too many systems which is not the case. I have contacted MBAM support but have not gotten a reply as of yet, just put in the ticket an hour ago.

Attachment:
acronis image graph.gif
acronis image graph.gif [ 51.34 KiB | Viewed 17352 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, please keep us posted on what MBAM says about this problem. Until then, I think I will hold off upgrading to ATI 2018. Thanks.....

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Well getting the same Email I was tempted so took another look. It installed okay, and I didn't try and turn off any of it's security stuff. The imaging was okay, and finally finally they caught up with the restore the world with actual logging. The incremental speed is been improved, but that is only if you take several incrmentals a day.

I had no issues that I could see, but that could be an advantage from still having win 7. But other than the price issue.

The one place this thing is a true unchallenged champion is BLOAT. I quote from a post of the Rollbackfrog.

"This ATI release adds just about 400 KB worth of changes to the Windows registry alone along with a very wide range of system services and kernel mode drivers including the following:

"Acronis Active Protection (TM) Service"
"Acronis Scheduler2 Service" (autostart)
"Acronis Nonstop Backup Service" (autostart)
"Acronis File Protector" (autostart)
"Acronis File Tracker Driver" (kernel mode - start=0x00000000)
"Acronis Storage Filter Management" (kernel mode - start=0x00000000)
"Acronis Managed Machine Service Mini" (autostart)
"Acronis Mobile Backup Server" (demand start)
"Acronis Mobile Backup Status Server" (demand start)
"Acronis Snapshots Manager" (kernel mode - start=0x00000000)
"Acronis Sync Agent Service" (autostart)
"Acronis TIB Manager" (kernel mode - start=0x00000000)
"Acronis TIB Mounter" (autostart)
"Acronis Try&Decide filter" (demand start)
"Acronis Virtual File Driver" (autostart)
"Acronis Volume Tracker" (kernel mode - start=0x00000000)
"Bonjour Service" (autostart)
"

That is ridiculous. !!!

PS Not wasting $30

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm 

Personally, except for Bonjour I don't see bloat in the list. Really, I just do not.

I would have to research to see exactly what everything in the list applies to but I can give a few examples of some that are actually needed.

1) "Acronis Active Protection (TM) Service": It would seem that this is involved with the added security aspects such as protecting Acronis images from ransomware.

2) "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" (autostart)": One would assume that most would want to do images on a schedule. Something has to run to recognize a schedule...

3) "Acronis Nonstop Backup Service" (autostart): This appears to be needed to enable the live backup where Acronis basically makes the image a real-time clone of your system.

Shoot, not going to continue the list. Since you seem to prefer Macrium have you ever looked at the associated processes/services? If you do you MAY find similar instances if the associated feature is available.

<edit>
BTW, thanks Pete. :) I never associated Bonjour with Acronis updates. To be honest I have always been a bit baffled as to why it would show in Programs and features at times. I have always just removed when seen. Still, since Acronis allows backups of mobile devices, I can see why it is there. I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly but THINK Bonjour is part of Acronis being able to backup Apple devices.

Not just Acronis as other packages do the same... I wish many packages used a more robust install package. Using Acronis and Bonjour as an example I would like to see a prompt asking if you owned an Apple device that you would wish to backup. If you answer no Bonjour would not be installed.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:37 am 
welcoming committee

I know Macrium is "growing" as it now protects the images from ransomware. Image for windows although installed one can just take the exe and ini file and run them standalone. Drive snapshot is the lightweight champion. One 400KB exe that doesn't need to be installed.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am 
welcoming committee

Well Jay, you are going to laugh. I just picked up the 2018 3 pack. Why? Couple of reasons.

1. The disk space is a trivial matter
2. Importantly, I saw no drag on the machine with it aboard
3. The incremental time is significantly low. Full image on this machine is 20-22 minutes. Incremental is something less than 3 That is important to me.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 pm 
welcoming committee

@Pete - Do you use MBAM Premium. If so, did you experience the same conflict problem that Jay did, where MBAM reverted to the free version?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:14 pm 

Have not gotten a response from MBAM yet but there is no hurry. I DID expect to already have a response. Wait, I did get a response asking for info but nothing since.

I DID try to uninstall and install again with the same result. Here is the odd thing. I'm currently running the Previous version trial. I should not be allowed to be running the trial.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
@Pete - Do you use MBAM Premium. If so, did you experience the same conflict problem that Jay did, where MBAM reverted to the free version?

Indeed it is the premium. Don't know if matters but my licenses are lifetime. Anyway no issues at all.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:26 pm 

I got the offer as well but haven't taken it up this time, at present I've got the 2017 version and can't justify the cost, I got a version upgrade for that today. I've got Macrium Reflect the free version as well which works very well so think I'll just miss this one.

After the upgrade version my interface looks like your photo of the 2018 version Jay with just a couple of differences showing.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Honestly Joan, I don't think you'd gain a thing.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm 

Peter2150 wrote:
Honestly Joan, I don't think you'd gain a thing.

I totally agree. Until I got the $29.99 deal for three licenses I had no intention of going with 2018. The only reason that I did was that it enabled me to do all three systems. Actually 4 systems if you count the dual boot with Win 7 on the laptop. Really don't need Acronis on the Win 7 install as I include that partition in my Win 10 images.

I do not believe that there is any conflict between Acronis 2018 and MBAM Premium. My main system is on a 2-year license while my laptop is on a lifetime. I went ahead and installed Acronis on the laptop and, after several re-boots and shutdowns, MBAM still shows as Premium.

Since I had also recently done Windows Updates on the main I caught up all updates on the laptop. Same result, no issue.

I think it is going to boil down to my 2 year license just getting messed up. I followed up and sent all this info to MBAM.

<edit>
DUH! First thing I did when I installed Acronis 2018 was to make new images. Of course my internal image is useless as it is on a daily schedule so would include the issue. However I also made a full image to an external that is before I noticed the MBAM issue. If I don't get any satisfaction from MBAM I will restore that external image to see what happens.

My hope is that MBAM will just kill the existing license code and issue a new. Just a hunch but I think that would likely solve the issue.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Don't remember exactly what, but there were a couple of exe's that I blocked as I was doing the install. Also killed the sync service after installing. Don't have any use for that Image is running fine.

Also my run some malware by the Protection module to see what it does.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:46 pm 

I just did straight installs Pete.

I am doing an external image of my laptop as I type. Don't see why it would make a difference but I want to copy all steps between the systems.

Personally I no longer see it as likely that there is any conflict between MBAM and Acronis. I think it is just a glitch where my 2 year license got 'mauled'... Yes, the sort of pun is intended. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 am 

Perhaps I've been lucky but I've never had any problems with conflicts on any of my machines over the years. I've had Acronis since the 2008 edition I think it was, done a few upgrades over the years till getting the 2017 edition. I can't even remember how many years ago it is I got MalwareBytes, started with the free version then when I got the chance got the Lifetime licence for Pro, it's always kept up to date so now have the latest edition of it.

Lets just hope I've not jinxed everything now. :-(

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:

Heh, Joan, you've got to be kidding. Jinxed?! You remain a breath of fresh air among us, :flow3: Being gentle with us idiots who think that we know everything about everything? (Of course the moose is not included in that statement :whistle1: )
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm 

I was right. The MBAM license just got fouled up. They reset the license and all is well. There is no conflict.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm 

Acadia wrote:
JoanA wrote:

Heh, Joan, you've got to be kidding. Jinxed?! You remain a breath of fresh air among us, :flow3: Being gentle with us idiots who think that we know everything about everything? (Of course the moose is not included in that statement :whistle1: )
Acadia

:rofl2: I wouldn't regard any of you idiots you know a damn site more than I do, I don't take enough risks to get into really bad trouble plus I'm much better when the machine is in front of me rather than try to explain how to solve problems to a person I can't see. :oops:

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)