Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Todo from EaseUS
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As is often seen mentioned on these forums doing backups is essential. Still, some may not want to invest in paid software such as Acronis True Image or Macrium. In steps Todo from EaseUS; the same people that make Partition Master. Todo has a free version that should suffice for most users. Todo also ranks very high in the ratings for free backup software.

The free version of Todo is slow as to backing to an external drive but seems to work fine. A lot of the slowness I experienced is due to the fact that I had the external drive test attached to a USB2 port instead of USB3. The imaging time on my main system to an external drive was not bad. On my main system's internal image drive Todo takes ~15 minutes for a full image of my 189 GB system drive.

It also everything that most users would ever need. I am now using it as a secondary image package behind Acronis. While I have not tested extensively I have created and restored images without issue.

The basic interface is straight forward and easy to use but does have some nice features such as being able to mount an image. Say you delete a file then decide that it was a mistake. You can mount your image and just copy back the deleted file without restoring the entire image. While this can be done even with Windows imaging Todo makes it easy, just tell it to mount and, when done, unmount.

As can be seen in the top row in the following screen shot Todo has many options from doing full disk/partition backups (images) to cloning one drive to another. Please note the lock icon on the mail backup. This is not supported in the free version.

As I said I have not done extensive testing but, at this point, would not hesitate to recommend Todo as a free alternative for doing backups. If you decide to try Todo remember to watch for a screen that will want to install two other packages. Just select to not do so.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html
Attachment:
todo1.JPG
todo1.JPG [ 47.56 KiB | Viewed 11761 times ]

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Post subject: Re: Todo from EaseUS
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:19 pm 
welcoming committee

I can also recommend Todo. Yes, slow as dickens but has a reputation as being VERY reliable and that counts more than speed when you are desperate. I use to have it many years ago, its been around for a while. I never even had it installed, just used the recovery CD that I created.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 pm 

Actually, Acadia, I'll have to play a bit with imaging to an external but I must say that I don't mind the time it takes to do a full image to my internal image drive on my main system. ~15 minutes seems pretty decent to an internal for a 189 GB system drive. I'm sure that this would be MUCH quicker if I were to be willing to do incremental or diferential images but I am not.

Unfortunately, when doing my new builds, I dislodged my front USB3 connection so have only done USB2 as to an external image. I would expect that a USB3 connection would do the job much quicker. One of these days I will open my case again and re-connect the front USB3 connection but today is not the day... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 am 
welcoming committee

Have you guys done any restores with Todo. I would not recommend it as I have never had a successful restore with it .

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:06 pm 

Yes I did a full restore with Todo on my bedroom system using the burnt recovery disk to start.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As is often seen mentioned on these forums doing backups is essential. Still, some may not want to invest in paid software such as Acronis True Image or Macrium...

Curious, did I miss something, is the free version of Macrium Reflect no longer recommended here?
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:52 pm 

I believe that Macrium has not changed. I'm just presenting another option.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:10 pm 
welcoming committee

As far as I know nothing has changed, Macrium still has an EXCELLENT free version. I have never restored using ToDo, never needed to and back in those days I was scared too death to test restore, until I learned just a bit more, most importantly that I had many other safety nets to catch me (ToDo was just another one of those excellent safety nets). The main thing that is keeping me with Microsoft Windows is the number of excellent backup/recovery programs now that actually work. Apple and Linux lag far behind.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 pm 
welcoming committee

No problem, I was just curious because the way I read the following part of Jay's initial post suggested to me that either Macrium had stopped supplying a free version or something had gone so drastically wrong with it that he felt the free version was no longer worthy of mention...
Quote:
Still, some may not want to invest in paid software such as Acronis True Image or Macrium. In steps Todo from EaseUS; the same people that make Partition Master. Todo has a free version that should suffice for most users. Todo also ranks very high in the ratings for free backup software.

I get now where he was coming from :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 pm 

LOL! If I had not totally forgot that Macrium had a free version I probably would have used another example. Although it is sort of hard to find an example where there isn't a free version. ;) While I don't think there is an official free version of Acronis on their site DiskWizard through Seagate is actually a lite version of Acronis True Image.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/
Been a while since I've used DiskWizard and can't remember if you must have a Seagate or Maxtor drive installed to use. I don't think so but cannot say for sure.

DiskWizard is another good free choice. So let's see what we have for free choices...

Todo
Macrium
Windows Imaging (Something odd going on with my systems and this choice as I can't any longer create a successful image)
DiskWizard (Acronis)

Any others?

There is CloneZilla but I can't recommend. I tried it ~6 years ago and could not even figure out how to use the thing. Granted I didn't put in a lot of effort. While it tends to get very good reviews I would never recommend for a novice user.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
While I don't think there is an official free version of Acronis on their site DiskWizard through Seagate is actually a lite version of Acronis True Image.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

I suspect it would be mis-leading to give any of the HDD manufacturer incarnations of Acronis True Image the title of "Backup software" in the manner you mean...

As far as I understand it, these are very stripped down versions licensed from Acronis for the sole purpose of migrating from an old drive to a new replacement drive, i.e. they're not intended to be used for regular backup's, and would be pretty lousy at it if used for that purpose.

I'd also add that the data recovery claims are pretty poor if my experience of them is anything to go by, I'm no expert on such matters but I've had far better results using other software.

As an example, here is what Western Digital claim their version of Acronis can do:

Acronis True Image WD Edition Software
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119
Quote:
Acronis True Image WD Edition can clone drives, backup the operating system, applications, settings and all of your data, while also securely wiping any confidential data you no longer need. Acronis True Image WD Edition provides you with all the essential tools you need to recover your computer system should a disaster occur, such as losing data, accidentally deleting critical files or folders, or a complete hard disk crash. If failures occur that block access to information or affect system operation, you will be able to restore the system and the lost data easily.

And yup,
Quote:
You need at least one WD hard drive attached in your system to be able to install and run the product.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:23 pm 

Hmmm, Since I can't really remember what DiskWizard from Seagate offers I just went to install on my main system. It would not allow the install due to Acronis being present. I'll try later on the bedroom system.

While it requires a Seagate or Maxtor drive to ne installed DiskWizard looks to get good reviews.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/seagate-discwizard-review

https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/45 ... discwizard

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I used DiskWizard on GG's old pc many years ago. I did maybe 6-10 restores, it never let me down. DiskWizard is usually a couple of versions behind whatever version Acronis is at.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 pm 
welcoming committee

If I read correctly, this new W10 upgrade that is soon to come out will no longer have the Windows imaging software.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
If I read correctly, this new W10 upgrade that is soon to come out will no longer have the Windows imaging software.

Peter, I believe that is correct. I met with Bill G. this past week and he told me that MS is actually going to remove the mirror program in an update, if they have not done so already.

Another freebe: the Chinese program Aomei.

https://www.backup-utility.com/free-bac ... tware.html

Suppose to be pretty darn reliable too. I even bought the Pro version when they had a special sale earlier this year (was it you, Peter, who notified me about that sale, if so, thanks) but between Raxco's Instant Recovery and Macrium Reflect, plus the other two programs protecting me, I just did not feel the need to install a fifth program. :wacko:

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)