Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While I always liked the Microsoft Sync Toy I want to do my syncs on an automatic schedule and have not successfully been able to get Sync Toy to work on a schedule using Task Scheduler in Windows 10.

My personal situation is that I have three systems, my main, a bedroom system and my laptop. My man and bedroom systems are usually on 24/7 and are the two that I want setup for automatic syncs. The main reason for this is to backup my data and media files as I do not include them in my system images.

What I wanted...
To be able to sync my main and bedroom systems automatically on a schedule as to my data drive and two media drives. I also wanted to be able to manually do the same between my main and laptop systems. Well that is not entirely true. I did not actually want to sync. I wanted a scheduled clone of the main system data and media drives to my bedroom system as a form of backup.

Enter GoodSync from, it seems, the same people that do RoboForm. This is NOT free software at a price of $29.95 USD. You only need one license to handle all networked systems. You do NOT need to have GoodSync installed on each system.
https://www.goodsync.com/

This package has done it for me! Scheduling is simple and easy. I have it set to do the sync between main and bedroom at once a day at specific times for each of the three automatic syncs.

Actually I'm saying sync but that is not exactly what I'm doing. A true sync goes both ways between systems. I am more doing a backup from my main to my bedroom system which is one way from my main to bedroom. GoodSync does either or both.

Other than figuring out how to handle the scheduling which was actually easy I only had one issue. My One Drive folder is located on my data drive. There was one file that would cause a conflict within One Drive due to an access violation. Within GoodSync I simply excluded that specific file and all was well.

If you have multiple systems and want to sync data I strongly must recommend this package.

I also must thank SBoots for turning me on to this software.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

:-)
I abandoned SyncToy long ago after discovering this program. It is much more powerful and robust than SyncToy. Support is also pretty good if you run into a problem -- they are quite responsive.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
:-)
I abandoned SyncToy long ago after discovering this program. It is much more powerful and robust than SyncToy. Support is also pretty good if you run into a problem -- they are quite responsive.
-steve

LOL! So NOW you tell me their support is good... after I figured it all out myself. :mrgreen: :rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)