Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 am 
welcoming committee

I am currently running Office 2007 Home/Student. A friend gave me a valid product code for Office 2010 Pro (but not the disc).

I know Office 2010 Pro can be downloaded from Microsoft. If I do so using this product code and this process doesn't work for some reason, will my Office 2007 Home still be on my computer?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

When you run the installer for Office 2010, it will advise you if you need to remove Office 2007. There is no good reason to attempt to maintain both versions. Do note that Office 2010 SP2 will reach end of life in October, 2020. Office 2007 is already past end of life.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:18 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
I am currently running Office 2007 Home/Student. A friend gave me a valid product code for Office 2010 Pro (but not the disc).

I know Office 2010 Pro can be downloaded from Microsoft. If I do so using this product code and this process doesn't work for some reason, will my Office 2007 Home still be on my computer?

Just image your system first.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
When you run the installer for Office 2010, it will advise you if you need to remove Office 2007. There is no good reason to attempt to maintain both versions. Do note that Office 2010 SP2 will reach end of life in October, 2020. Office 2007 is already past end of life.
-steve

Thanks, Steve. I know 2007 is past end of life (although I still get security updates), but it's paid for and serves my purpose. Office 2010 was a gift for helping a friend, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it for a couple of years. I turn 80 next month, so it may be a foot race to reach October 2020, lol. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Just image your system first.

Macrium did a system image at 1:00am this morning, and Acronis at 4:00am...each going to different external drives. I do believe in images and backups. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
Thanks, Steve. I know 2007 is past end of life (although I still get security updates), but it's paid for and serves my purpose. Office 2010 was a gift for helping a friend, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it for a couple of years. I turn 80 next month, so it may be a foot race to reach October 2020, lol. :mrgreen:

Glad to read that security updates are still being released for 2007 as I know many do use it.
Installing 2010 is a good idea. I'm thinking you'll easily make October, 2020!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Glad to read that security updates are still being released for 2007 as I know many do use it.
Installing 2010 is a good idea. I'm thinking you'll easily make October, 2020!

BB is MUCH too cantankerous to not make it until 2020! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:19 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
-steve

Well, now I've gotten myself into a pickle, as we say here in Arkansas. Here's the sequence of events:
(1) The product code for Office 2010 Pro was invalid.
(2) So my friend gave me his dvd for Office 2010 Home, thinking it had one more installation on the family pack permitting three installations.
(3) Using this dvd, I was able to install Office 2010 Home.
(4) Without ever advising me, this installation process removed my Office 2007 Home
(5) But when I started using Office 2010 Home, I got a message stating that the suite could not be activated because installations had already reached the limit of three.
(6) So now my old Office Home 2007 has been removed and I have 29 more days to activate Office Home 2010.

But rather than purchasing Office Home 2010 in order to to activate it, I had rather spend my money on Office Home 2016. So how do I do this? Can I simply purchase and download Office Home 2016, and then it will properly install over my time-limited Office Home 2010?

I would appreciate some advice before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance.....

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Be careful, with office 2016 that you don't get the click to run (C2R) version. It's a mess.

Also if you imaged like you said you should be able to just restore the image

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Click to run is not a mess. Why do you say that? I've been using Office 365 Home on multiple PCs for years now with no concerns or issues.

I believe you said you have an image backup. Revert to before the install of Office 2010. When he gave you the 2010 key, even with an additional activation available, that was not allowed per the license since you are not part of the same family/household.

Upgrading to the latest is the best, but most costly option, of course.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have also had no issues with Office 2016 but I did a full install, not 'click to run'. To be honest I really don't know what is entailed with click to run.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Click to run is an online installer. Basically, you begin the install with a "stub" installer that will download bits of the suite to get you up and running and then it continues to download and install more bits until the suite is installed.
A full installer means you have a full download before you install (or physical media) and do not need to be online during the install process.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I believe you said you have an image backup. Revert to before the install of Office 2010.
I know, I know.....but I just don't like doing image restores unless I have a really-big problem.

When he gave you the 2010 key, even with an additional activation available, that was not allowed per the license since you are not part of the same family/household.
But, Steve, most everyone in Arkansas is family! :lol:
Seriously, the only multiple installation of Microsoft software that I have ever owned is Office 2007, and it said nothing about family, same household, etc. So I didn't realize that the license language had changed.

Upgrading to the latest is the best, but most costly option, of course.
I think I'm overdue for an upgrade beyond my current 2007 version, so I am just going to bite the bullet and purchase Office 2016 Home. Thanks for your help.

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 am 
Site Admin

:-)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:42 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Click to run is an online installer. Basically, you begin the install with a "stub" installer that will download bits of the suite to get you up and running and then it continues to download and install more bits until the suite is installed.
A full installer means you have a full download before you install (or physical media) and do not need to be online during the install process.
-steve

That kind of simplifies it a bit Steve. The problem is WHERE it installs it

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Peter2150 wrote:
sboots wrote:
-steve

That kind of simplifies it a bit Steve. The problem is WHERE it installs it

What do you perceive to be a problem with where it installs?
On my PC it has installed to here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office
and a tiny bit here:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64
And, of course, a bunch of stuff here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared
and here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Ah they've changed. Click 2 run used to install in Appdata

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Peter2150 wrote:
Ah they've changed. Click 2 run used to install in Appdata

There are files in Appdata, but not many. I presume that these are related to my settings/licensing as the User, since Appdata is within my \User folder. I would expect there to be files for Office installed there when using the full installer from media, too. :-)

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)