Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: An odd issue with Excel
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I hope someone knows Excel more than I...

I have an Excel spread sheet that is a listing of all my movies. It is set up as a 'live menu' where, if I click on a movie title, the movie launches in my selected media player; in my specific case the player is Media Player Classic.

This sheet works perfectly except for one minor glitch. When I click on a movie title I get an alert from MS Office stating that such files may be harmful to my system. If I select to proceed the movie launches fine.

Through another source it was suggested that the warning was actually from UAC, not Excel, so I tried an experiment by turning off UAC and re-starting my system; the warning is still displayed so it would seem logical that it actually IS Excel throwing the warning, not UAC. Also, if I save the menu in PDF format I will still get the warning but will have the option to allow. If I select to allow I will no longer get the warning for that specific movie. Also the warning display is totally different than that displayed through Excel further indicating that this is not UAC.

Also, if I save the menu as a single file web page, and click a title IE will ask if I want to open or save. If I select open the movie will launch without the harmful file warning.

With all the above I cannot see where this is actually a UAC warning but think that it must be directly from Office.

Anyone have any ideas on this? While not really a big deal I'd LOVE to get rid of the warning.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Admin

See if any of these help:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-h ... ngs-office

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 3336039BBE

Older versions of Office:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925757

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:33 am 
Fearless Leader

That sure looks like the answer, Steve.

Jay, I'm not sure I would want to do that though! I think I'd rather live with the warning - but I don't really know how annoying you find it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:50 am 

Thanks but no help... I just do not have the privacy settings available. Also the registry tree for doing manually does not exist on my system. I'm using Office 2016...
Attachment:
excel privacy.jpg
excel privacy.jpg [ 94.88 KiB | Viewed 10914 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 am 
Fearless Leader

Check Steve's first link, it doesn't say anything about privacy settings, but rather Trust Center settings.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:51 pm 

Both of the first two links go to the Privacy settings which are within the Trust Center.

I also tried the Registry fix by creating the proper key but it made no difference.

The Privacy settings are also missing on my laptop. Office is current as to updates, Version 1610 (Build: 7466.2038).

There really is no issue as to having to click through the warning but this is sort of odd...

<EDIT>
I DO have the Privacy setting within my Office 2007 install in Win 7 on that side of my laptop's dual boot.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Your Privacy settings panel looks exactly the same as mine, Jay. It doesn't have the options called out in the first link.

Can you provide an example of the hyperlink you have embedded in the Excel workbook? I trust it goes to a folder on your network or on the same PC, yes?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:36 pm 
Fearless Leader

If you look at the comments, toward the bottom one fellow in creating the registry key had checked decimal and it didn't work. When he changed it to hexadecimal it worked. Are you sure you checked hexadecimal?

Also, I don't see the exact options setting either. But when I go into Excel's options and go to Trust Center, then Trust Center Settings, there are more options (look at the left pane!) than I know what to do with. I wonder if one of them doesn't do what you want. You'll have to go through the whole lot, but your answer might be there.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I just created two hyperlinks in an Excel 2016 workbook that pointed to files. One is a jpeg on the local drive, the other is a MPEG file on my NAS. I was not prompted when clicking on either file. I then created another one to open an MP3 file on OneDrive -- again, no security warning. Number 4 was a hyperlink to a web page using http:// -- no warning.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm 

@ Patty: I have gone through the options in the left panel and tried several options. None have been affective. The value entered was Hex.

@ Steve: I also do not get a warning on a web address but do on .JPG, MP3 and .MPEG. Since you don't get the warnings I have to assume that I have a botched setting somewhere. I DO have my video locations entered as Trusted Locations within Trust Center. A sample link would be: 'F:\DVDs\Avatar\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.INF'. I have .INF files associated with MPC.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing has been added to my Trusted Locations or Trusted Documents. I do have "Allow documents on a network to be trusted" checked on the Trusted Documents tab.
Nothing added or checked on the Trusted Add-in Catalogs tab.
Nothing check on Add-ins tab.
ActiveX Settings - "Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions" checked and Safe mode is checked.
Macro settings - "Disabled all macros with notifications" checked
Protected View - all 3 options checked
Message Bar - "Show..." is checked; Policy Tips - "Show Policy Tips..." is checked.
External Content - Prompt user is checked for both sections
File Block - All versions of Excel prior to Excel 95 are checked for Open to open in Protected View.
We already determined that Privacy is the same on my PC as on yours for Excel in Trust Center settings.

I would expect an INF file to pop a warning from UAC, because they can launch a Driver install, but you're not getting the UAC prompt, but an Office warning.

Odd that you are getting warnings for file types I am not seeing warnings for.

For the Registry thing, this forum post answer has what I believe is the same "fix" -- change 15.0 to 16.0 and if you are running a 64 bit version of MS Office, you need to choose QWORD rather than DWORD.

The thread is an interesting 5 page read. Do read the last post on page 5 from noiplah -- interesting branch added for the key...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 808?page=1

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 am 

I tried changing to 16.0 in the tree using both DWORD and QWORD, No success. I'll look at the added key tree from noiplah later but I'm done for the night.

LOL! I almost wish I had not tried to get rid of the warning. Shoot! I've been dealing with the warning for years but this has become personal... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:28 pm 

sboots wrote:
The thread is an interesting 5 page read. Do read the last post on page 5 from noiplah -- interesting branch added for the key...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 808?page=1

I've decided that I'm done with this. While the info in the above quote might cure it is for an earlier version of Office. I just don't want to start doing registry changes that are associated with software I'm not actually running.

I've been clicking on the 'OK' button on the alert for years and guess that I can keep doing so. I would rather the whole thing be 'clean' but it has worked for years as is...

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)