Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Re: Office Software
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:

I'm surprised Jay to hear that from you. You're always so thrifty. My point is your software license would cost you $150 - $200 and you own it for the life of the software version. From what I've see that's usually 8-10 years until you have to upgrade and you get three PC installs. The Office 365 subscription costs $70 (1 PC install) or $100 (5 PC installs) per year. After 2-3 years you're donating to the mother ship. That is not thrifty to me and 1 TB cloud storage is only a so so perk.

What I highlighted in red from your reply is only true if you would normally stick with the version you purchased beyond the 2 to 3 years, with no upgrade rights -- which I recognize that many do. Personally, I see much less value in the Office 365 Personal subscription pricing at $70 per year for a single PC. The 5 device deal is better, working out to $20 per PC per year. However, the key is that you will always have the latest version of Office on all 5 PCs and 5 Tablet devices as long as your subscription is current. If you don't care about upgrading, it is certainly not an attractive deal.

EDIT: And the current offering of the Home & Student "suite" is for 1 PC only for retail pricing of $150 as Patty noted.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Terry, it may sound to not be thrifty but must be considered that for the subscription price I get license for 3 computers (which I have) and 5 mobile devices (which I have 1). That helps a lot as to cost. Also each system that takes an install gets its own 1 TB OneDrive space. Potentially that is 8 TB of cloud.

Patty, could you clarify your last post a bit for me as to no more multiple licenses. Has the 365 subscription stopped allowing multiple installs or am I reading wrong? My MS account still shows 3 computers and 5 mobiles but it could be a case where I'm grandfathered in as I am with my lifetime licenses for MBAM.

I agree with Doddie as to LibreOffice probably being the better option at this time. If I have my history correct LibreOffice started as OpenOffice but the main people split from the group and formed LibreOffice. One factor that could be considered a downside to OpenOffice and LibreOffice is that they both require Java to be installed.

This link discusses 5 different free Office type packages.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010005/ ... ffice.html

This link contains reviews of several free packages.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... -suite.htm

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:01 pm 

It seems that I may have to retract something that I stated in my last post.
Jay wrote:
One factor that could be considered a downside to OpenOffice and LibreOffice is that they both require Java to be installed.

The article I read stating this may have been old. I DID install LibreOffice before saying that it seemed that all was good with current MS Office file types and everything seems fine. I don't have Java installed.

Keep in mind that I don't do really hard core stuff with Office so there MAY be some functionality that requires Java but I doubt that it would install without all requirements for all features.

I cannot say if the same is true for OpenOffice.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:34 am 
Fearless Leader

Jay, a 365 subscription allows multiple licenses. The "boxed" Office (download or not) no longer gives you multiple licenses. (This is what is referred to as a perpetual license.) Microsoft really wants everyone to move to the subscription product. This is part of what sweetens the deal. Really, it is a tremendous value - if you use it! For someone who occasionally writes a Word doc, it's not.

For instance, I use Excel all the time. I'm on a very strict Ketogenic diet. I monitor, gram by gram, what I eat everyday and what its macronutrient content is. I make everything myself. I started out by creating an Excel spreadsheet to help me. Couldn't have done it otherwise.

Now my husband is a database programmer. I asked him to design me an Access database to help me, as the spreadsheet was becoming unwieldy. He did so. I use this database extensively throughout the day. I use it to plan every meal and track everything I eat. I use it to create recipes so I know the exact proportion of all macronutrients in everything I prepare. I use it to monitor blood glucose and ketones. (No, I am not diabetic.) So I USE Office.

I also use that terabyte of online storage as a backup of all of my music, and any files that are not sensitive. I provide licenses to Office for my husband as well as my daughter. All of this costs me $100 per year. What a bargain!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It seems that I may have to retract something that I stated in my last post.
Jay wrote:
One factor that could be considered a downside to OpenOffice and LibreOffice is that they both require Java to be installed.

The article I read stating this may have been old. I DID install LibreOffice before saying that it seemed that all was good with current MS Office file types and everything seems fine. I don't have Java installed.

Keep in mind that I don't do really hard core stuff with Office so there MAY be some functionality that requires Java but I doubt that it would install without all requirements for all features.

I cannot say if the same is true for OpenOffice.

It appears that your suspicions about OpenOffice and Java are correct:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

I'm probably one of the few on CH who has no issues with running Java on my PC which is likely why i never noticed it as a requirement during OpenOffice installation. [I'm aware of the risks.]

As for LibreOffice, afaict this is the latest system requirements doc available and it appears that this also requires Java for certain Applications, most notably 'Base':
Quote:
For certain features of the software - but not most - Java is required. Java is notably required for Base.

Interestingly Java installation appears to be a requirement for Base on Windows, Mac & Linux systems!
http://www.documentfoundation.org.br/do ... uirements/

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:10 pm 

That could explain why I have no issue with Libre as I don't do anything with Base as I also do not use Access in Office.

Excel, as with Patty, is my main Office program. I've gotten rusty but used to be pretty good with the thing. Right now my main use for Excel is my media library. All my movies are listed on the sheet and I just need to click what I want to watch and it launches. While my media spread sheet is actually VERY simple it serves its purpose. If I had to search my 4 TB media drive for what I wanted to watch I'd never watch anything. Heck I have 499 movies and 26 concerts/stage presentations. LOL! I've been doing sheets so long that I started with Lotus 123; how many here remember that gem? Actually that is not true... On my first computer (early to mid 1980s) I wrote a combination spread sheet and data base program, largely in Assembly Language, for my son to track his baseball cards. It was a hybrid that combined a spread sheet and data base within the same, single file, program.

Sigh, sorry for the above nostalgia but I've always liked spread sheet stuff and have a sort of weird way with numbers. Shoot, I was doing 2-3 variable algebraic equations in third grade.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:23 pm 

I remember Lotus 1-2-3, loved it, it came as part of the software installed on the first computer I ever owned, Windows 98.
I only use the Excel part of Office with a very rare document in Word. Hubby loves numbers Jay, but then he's an accountant. I use it to keep a record of my household accounts and banking.
As we have 4 computers between us it works out cheaper than buying the programs separately, I do have copies of Home & Student Office 2007 and 2010 which both come with a licence to put it on 3 machines.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)