Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Power management
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a new Dell Inspiron with Win 7.

I have never owned a laptop until now.

I like to know when to plug in the power supply.

I don't think I'll be using it too much where an electrical outlet is not available.

Do I exhaust the battery to a certain level before using the power supply?

Do I try to keep the battery fully charged or less than fully charged?

Post subject: Re: Power management
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Opinions on this will vary but I leave my Asus laptop plugged all the time unless I'm taking it somewhere. I do tend to use it almost like a desktop system. It sits on a desk plugged in. The battery has been in it for over two years and there is no issue.

One thing that I do not do is to charge to 100%. If you look at either Advanced Power settings or it may be included software on your system you should find settings as to what % is considered a full charge along with several other battery settings.

Some will claim that leaving the system on AC all the time can harm the battery but I can't see it. If I have the system to turn off the battery charge at 98% the battery is no longer connected to the charging system so how can it sustain harm? The way I have mine set the charge will not hit the battery unless it drops below 95% by just sitting.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:38 am 

I have my Asus plugged in at all times, it usually gets to about 98% and says it's plugged in but not charging. At the moment we're being battered by hurricane force winds, just lost the power but at least the Asus is still working. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am 
welcoming committee

I leave it plugged in all the time as well. I've never really seen a definitive study which demonstrates which method is better. Theories, yes but no study.

Funny you should be having bad weather Joan as well. We got blowing snow like crazy around here. Fortunately, it's not ice like it's happening south of us. We in the South don't like or are prepared for weather like this. I hope I don't lose power like you did. Stay warm.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am 
Fearless Leader

I can only speak from seeing dozens and dozens of laptops. Almost all my clients leave it plugged in all the time. Within a couple of years the battery doesn't function any longer, so when they need battery power they get none, or only a minute or two. On the other hand, I advised my husband to keep it unplugged until Windows beeps at him (10%, I believe), then plug it in to full charge, then unplug it. His battery lasted 5 years. Probably would have gone longer except he upgraded to Windows 8 and that took quite a toll on the battery. It was a Windows 7 machine.

That was my advice 6 years ago. Today I have come to believe in shorter, more numerous charging cycles, with occasionally running the battery to very low. That's what I've been doing with my phones and with my Surface. Lithium ion seems to like the shorter, repeated chargings. (Like down to 80 or 70%... whatever is convenient. I just charge these devices overnight.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:28 am 

We got power back but then shortly after we lost it again, this time for awhile, not long got it back again and as I'm on the priority list for power they make sure I get power back as soon as possible.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices