Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I consider the issues put forth in the following article as to security and privacy to not only include the more and more popular video doorbells but to also include any smart device as they mostly just don't include any privacy/security protection.

Of course there are laws that provide that such smart device manufacturers cannot harvest personal information but how many bother to read the license agreement which overrides the laws due to you actually agreeing that the manufacturer can in fact harvest such information.

My setup is VERY smart but it is a system that I built that has a PC as a base unit. Since the PC is the core of the setup the PC's security protects me. This is not the case with a smart doorbell or TV. All these convenient smart devices out there are a potential drastic risk. I am a tech freak but have zero smart devices. They are just too dangerous in today's world.

Here is the article that prompted this post.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/please-dont-buy-this/2019/12/please-dont-buy-this-smart-doorbells/?utm_source=double-opt-in&utm_medium=email-internal-b2c&utm_campaign=EM-B2C-2019-December-newsletter-Issue1&utm_content=smart-doorbells

Here is an article of smart cars being hacked.
https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/3-million-cars-vulnerable-to-serious-hacking-attacks/553626/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 am 

I'd seen the article about doorbells but I hadn't seen the one about cars.

I don't have one of the doorbells, hubby has a car, 2012 Fiat Punto, that is computerised not that he'd know about connecting it. He doesn't have a Smartphone, wouldn't even know how to turn Bluetooth on, he's had it 2 years and had it over a year before he found out how to turn the radio on, although he doesn't actually turn it on.

Perhaps his naivety about all the workings would put him more at risk I have no idea, but he can lock/unlock it put the key in the ignition and drive it, that's about it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices