Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: 3G Networks Going Away?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 am 
welcoming committee

Although I have an iPhone 6, I also have a very old LG A340 flip phone that I carry in my pocket most of the time (the iPhone is just too big). I carry the flip top in lieu of subscribing to an emergency call button that my kids want me to have.

I read in the paper this morning that most carriers are doing away with 3G phones, in favor of the faster 4G and 5G ones. My carrier (AT&T) is stopping 3G service in Feb '20.

Thus far I can't find a comparable flip phone that will work with AT&T. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:52 am 
Site Admin

AT&T has a 4G flip phone in their online store -- https://www.att.com/buy/phones/alcatel-smartflip-4gb-volcano-black.html

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. I looked all over MyAT&T site and could not find any 4G flip. But I usually have trouble finding what I want on their site.

The good news is that, contrary to what I read in the paper this morning, AT&T will continue 3G service until 2022.

Another question if you happen to know. If I order a phone online, can I replace the SIM card myself and immediately activate the new phone using my old phone number.? And does the SIM card contain my Contacts, or is there another data card for that? Always before when I got a new phone, I did so in the AT&T store and they took care of all of that.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

You can swap the SIM card yourself as long as it is the same size. Or you can order a new SIM and activate it yourself when setting up the new phone. Contacts might be on your SIM card, but usually it is on the phone's memory these days, handled by the phone operating system. On older "non-smart" phones, though, contacts would likely be on the SIM card. The AT&T Store can usually assist in transferring to a new phone, even if you bough the new phone from the online AT&T Store.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:44 pm 
welcoming committee

The closest AT&T store that has that Alcatel flip phone in stock is in a town 50 miles away. The closest store to me is about 25 miles away, but they don't carry that model. Maybe they can order it for me, or at a minimum set it up for me if I order it online. After all, I bought my last 3 AT&T phones from that closer store.

If I activate a new phone myself, will I get to keep the same number? I guess what I'm asking...is the phone number contained on the old SIM card?

Ah, the perils of living out in the boonies.......

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
Ah, the perils of living out in the boonies.......

Not contributing anything here as to the question but the advantages of living in the boonies out weigh the disadvantages. :)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 pm 
welcoming committee

I totally agree, Jay. Thankfully we have Steve who can keep us apprised of what's going on in the big cities.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

When you order online, you can have it shipped to your home or to the store of your choice. Even if you have it shipped to your home, you can go to any AT&T Store to get help with the setup, if needed.
When you activate a new SIM, it will retain your phone number since you are performing an upgrade and not adding a line. The SIM and IMEI (number unique to the phone hardware) are tied to your phone number and account through the activation process. The old SIM will become deactivated once you activate the new one.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, today I made my annual pilgrimage to Walmart, which is a legal requirement and moral obligation when you live in Arkansas. They actually carried two 4G flip phones.....the Alcatel that you located, and a Samsung. But you had to use one of their services. I've been with AT&T for many years, and I get good reception where I live and where I travel.

There is actually an AT&T store just down from Walmart, but they didn't open until noon. I will call them tomorrow and see what they have and/or what they might order for me. If they are only pushing smartphones, I'll order the Alcatel online and try the activation myself.

Thanks for all you input and advice.......

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:27 pm 

Just to give some info from experience... You know that I don't carry a cell phone but the first year in Wyoming I had to carry one. I went with a Walmart offering and had no issues. Since they seem to lease tower usage from other carriers it is likely you would have the same reception that you do now as it is likely that they are using AT&T's towers. On the downside, while Walmart will activate a phone for you they will probably refuse to help transfer stuff from your old phone. The local Walmart here claims it is due to liability issues but I doubt that is the actual case.

Since you have been happy with AT&T for an extended time you should probably stay with them if possible.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I am definitely going to stay with AT&T. My little Walmart store doesn't do the activation....they simply provide written instructions. According to them, it's a piece of cake since the SIM card is already inserted. But, like you said, they don't give much attention to the stuff you have on your old phone, and helping you transfer that stuff is above their pay grade. So I will call the local AT&T store tomorrow and see what they can do for me. If they don't have or can't get the flip phone I want, then I will order it from the online store. Then I will attempt activation and transfer of stuff (Contacts & Photos) myself; if I can't get it right, I will keep bugging Steve until I do, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 pm 

Don't know about the contacts but, as to pictures, you should be able to connect the phone to your computer via USB and have the phone seen as a USB storage device allowing you to copy photos if all else fails. Obviously I'm no authority but to connect your phone to a PC it may be necessary to set the phone's USB to data transfer.

Probably your local AT&T store will be able to do it all for you but my sister in Ohio changed phones and found out that not all AT&T/Verizon stores are actually AT&T/Verizon stores but a third party company that just sells AT&T/Verizon equipment. In my sister's case a supposedly Verizon store sold her a phone that her service could not use. It was not actually a true Verizon store and she was told there was nothing wrong with the phone and refused a refund saying that it was her responsibility to have proper service for a purchased phone and the fault and responsibility was hers. Not that my sister's experience is likely to have anything to do with your situation but I just think it sad that such things can be done.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices