Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Tablet and internet
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi All, I apologize if this was answered in another post but I could not find it. My laptop profile is suddenly inaccessible, I am using a windows provided profile, internet does work. With this laptop failure, I've decided to get a tablet finally. I will clean up this laptop and reinstall but it is time for a tablet for me. I know tablets have WiFI capability for on the road but, and I feel so dumb asking, do they also have a wireless adapter that I can use my Charter internet at home? I'm looking at a Sony Tablet S but I'm just starting to compare. I just don't know if tablets (or this one http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666369301)
have a wireless adapter, maybe that is what the Wifi connects with, I don't know enough to be sure. Hope you can help. Also, if there is a better tablet, any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post subject: Re: Tablet and internet
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

If you home Internet connection is through a wireless router, then all tablets can connect to your wireless router when properly configured (depending on the security settings of your wireless connection).
When traveling, you'd be able to connect to WiFi "hotspots" -- either free at some establishments or pay as you go.
The Sony model you are looking at runs the Android operating system and has WiFi/wireless capability.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve, is Android a good thing? Thanks for clearing that up that WiFI and wireless capability are the same, just different providers. My router does provide charter internet through the router which is wireless but the router is connected to my main computer via an RJ cable. It works with my wireless laptop so I assume it would work with the tablet that is WiFi compatible? I 'think' Android is a good OS but I don't know. I don't know which company provides updates to Android, it's a very different realm, these tablets, than Microsoft and it's Win 7 and Vista, etc. Just a new cat :) I just wanted to make sure it could do what my laptop does, at home. Thanks so much!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Android is the operating system developed by Google. It is certainly okay. There are many available programs for it, but the confusion is that the operating system updates are made available by the device maker. Devices may or may not receive an upgrade. If you are on a limited budget, have specific requirements, an Android tablet available now is fine. I suggest hands on time at a local electronics store before committing.

If you are a bit more flexible on price and even availability -- the Apply iPad is the current "standard" and is well supported. It is pricey compared to the Android offerings. Windows 8 will be out later this year, but we're looking at months away. We don't have a clue on price or even details specs, but the Microsoft Surface tablet looks very interesting.

Yes, if the router works with your laptop wirelessly, the tablet will work with it.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices