Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Android/6.0.1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab E /9.7"/ 16GB - WiFi /SM-T560NU.
I shot a string of short workout videos.
The day after I completed them, I got a message - delete, delete, delete - I'm low on space. Is that storage or memory? Does your answer here make a difference to what I intend to do?

My tablet was pretty stripped down to begin with, but I deleted as many apps/caches/whatevers as I could. If I disable an app, am I doing the same thing as removing it - as far as storage goes? Even though I clear cache/data, disable, shut down now, remove update, etc., some apps just won't leave.

The primary goal is to preserve the videos. The data is irreplaceable for a few months, at least. I will back up the videos, which I assume I can accomplish via a connection between my tablet and PC w/external HD. Simple, yes? Simple yes?

After finally locating the slot for the microSD card, I will buy a card. Tab can expand up to 128GB.
The device "supports the FAT and the exFAT file systems for memory cards." Does that formatting have any bearing on the way my HD is formatted? Will everything flow easily through the devices or might I run into an unexpected brick WALL? The audio on most videos is poor and that doesn't matter nearly as much as the visuals.

1. Do I need to buy the microSD adapter? Is there something on the Samsung power cord that holds the card - or something? I thought I saw some vague references or intimations without getting anything more. I didn't get the Galaxy manual and the on-device Samsung manual is about as annoying as the lack of information available online. Why two types? - A./microSD to SD card Adapter. B./MicroSD USB card reader. Which do I buy?

2. I am not familiar w/digital cameras and video recorders. I never used a microSD. Do I want to put the entire video set on the card - do I permanently store them there (like an external HD) and access them through my camera app? Do I carry around the SD card? Would I keep some of the videos on the card and some of the videos on my tablet?

Let's say I access these five times a week, in the a.m., from home. Does my viewing choice make a difference to how I store, what kind of adapter I need, and on what I am watching?
I was not thinking about viewing the videos on television unless that ONLY involves an HDMI cable.
If I can leave all the videos off the tablet, that would be ideal.

Other than formatting, why was I warned about incompatibility w/certain card brands?
Should I go with the largest - 128GB? Will I be able to edit from the card or is it only storing it until I want to view it? What about recording over it - rewriteable/re-recordable - do I need to know about this? Etc?

Anything else?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:30 am 
Site Admin

In your tablet, you have 16 Gigs of storage.
A microSD card will expand you storage significantly.
You don't need an adapter as the card will go into a slot somewhere on the device. Plug it in and leave it there. The formatting of the card has nothing to do with the device internal storage other than inserting a card with data on it that was formatted differently will not allow it to be recognized by the tablet.
Once you insert the new microSD card, the device will offer to format it if it is unformatted. You will then need to move files to it and update the settings for the tablet and perhaps the tablet installed programs to use the microSD card for storage rather than the internal memory.
You will leave the card in the tablet. It expands your storage. An adapter/reader will only be needed if you choose to write files to it from another device and read/view those files on the tablet.
Viewing, HDMI, digital cameras, video recorders, etc. are immaterial. The microSD card simply increases the available storage space on your tablet. If the tablet has the ability to display to a TV over an HDMI cable or wirelessly, the data stays on the card, you are simply viewing on an external display.
Brand of the card is not important, typically. I recommend Sandisk as being quite reliable.
if the tablet can edit content stored in the 16 GB internal storage, it can edit anything stored on the microSD card. It is a read/write storage medium.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

Fantastic. I like SanDisk, also.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:06 pm 
welcoming committee

A quick look dictates that I ask one question.

Amazon offers 64gb in SDHC and XC.
Is that overkill?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I wouldn't really consider 64 GB overkill if you store a lot of photos and such. I would, however, check the specifications on the tablet to be sure that it can handle 64 GB. As an example the specifications for my tablet state that it can only use a max of 32 GB as to an SD card.

OK, I just looked and it seems that your tablet will handle up to 128 GB.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

I think you will do well with the 64 GB microSD card as this offers nice storage and is typically sold at a good price point. occasionally there are sales on 128GB card, but they will still set you back around $100.
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:58 pm 

Actually I just took a look on New Egg and they have SanDisk 128 GB micros in the ~$40.00 range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:22 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Actually I just took a look on New Egg and they have SanDisk 128 GB micros in the ~$40.00 range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1

Well, that shows how long it has been since I've watched prices on the various sizes!
The $100 price point is now for the 200 Gig versions.
It appears that 128 GB in the $40-60 range is the new norm.
64 GB is $20-40 these days.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:00 pm 

You can still pay over $100.00 for a 128 GB card Steve. Oddly the higher priced ones don't seem to get as high of a rating on reviews. I didn't bother reading reviews but, possibly, it is a cost versus value thing.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:26 pm 

I know when I got my new Kindle it can take 128GB, think that's it, when I bought it I got a 64GB micro card at the same time so I had the extra storage for books etc. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks to everybody for your input.

Normally, I don't take pictures and I don't take videos. If I did, I would load up on the 128gb card.
Meanwhile, I spent $11 for 32gb at NewEgg. I should get it in two days (my guess). 32gb will give me a little extra and the ability to restore all the apps.

I have videos OnDemand, but they obviously never hired anybody who actually exercises in the department that chooses the workout videos. When they rotate the videos for two or three months, I do not think there is an adequate replacement. Since these videos were coming off the end of September, I recorded as many as my tablet would hold - which was most. Of the three left, they are 30 - 60 minutes and I only liked one of them. I grabbed 18 minutes of it and I'll re-record it when this guy returns.

The number of choices for SanDisc 32gb alone are silly. Classes 1 - 10, extra def or this and that - with adapter and without. If I didn't focus on one brand, I would still be shopping.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Can't go wrong for that price, Nancy. If you ever decide you need more space, a 64GB card will be even cheaper in the not too distant future.
The Class designation refers to the speed with which the data can be written to the card and read from the card. Scroll down in this article to see what that means - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
Generally, you'd want a minimum of a Class 4 designation for video.
And as I mentioned yesterday, the adapter is only needed if you plan to use it in a laptop or PC without a microSD slot, but with an SD slot. You will likely leave the card in the tablet all the times, so the adapter is moot.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:53 pm 
welcoming committee

I understand more today than when I first asked.
I got class 10, as it just so happens.

With some sellers, they give you the adapter whether you want it or not, for the same price.
I will leave mine in, as you suggested.

At NewEgg, they had one for 10.59 and one for 10.95 - the more expensive one mentioned Android tablets and super HD videos. The one that I bought did not. The part numbers were almost identical. I called NewEgg to ask if I should change my order. He said the one I bought is sold through them, while the other vendor is an international company. Whatever else was different became immaterial. That was enough for me.

I don't think it's good business to manufacture and offer so many similar skus. That's me, though.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:07 pm 

nancy wrote:
I don't think it's good business to manufacture and offer so many similar skus. That's me, though.

I understand your view and mostly agree. Still it must be understood that many of the choices are device specific. Can your device read a FAT file system or does it require NTSF? Can your device ONLY read and write a FAT file system? I could fill a page with possible different file system structures that could be on a card. The point is that every file structure is valid if that is the structure that your device needs. At the same time SanDisk cannot sell the same device under the same SKU if the file structure is not the same.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,

One of my questions was why I was warned about certain brands that might not be compatible. It was in the online Samsung manual. This became a lot of more confusing because of the choices. It seems that a lot of thought doesn't have to go into it - or not as much as I originally thought.
One thing I found interesting is that people were warning buyers about counterfeit cards. That's why I don't like buying electronics on eBay, unless it's a non-critical part.

I understand the value and purpose of part numbers (or skus). Thank you for elaborating.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices