Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Is your mobile secure?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Believe it or not with my computer background I do not even carry a cell phone. However I DO have an Android tablet so I am still mobile. I found the following article interesting.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2016/ ... ure-mobile
There are also quite a few other articles listed at the bottom part of the page that are worth reading.

The article brings up the obvious aspect of backing up your data from your mobile to another local device or the cloud. As a note on this aspect I have already pre-ordered Acronis True Image 2017 at a cost of ~$30.00 USD. I can't really give a link for this as it was sent to current users of Acronis and is only for the same. If you are currently using Acronis you would have gotten the notice. Where the 2017 version of Acronis relates to mobile security is the fact that it allows image backups of unlimited mobile devices along with 500 GB of cloud storage which with do store the backups. Of course you can also backup to a local drive. For myself I doubt that I'll use the cloud storage which is also for non-mobile system backups. I'm just not going to do a system image of any kind to the cloud when I have plenty of disk space to do it locally.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I've only had a mobile phone for about 3 or 4 years and I can't get my head around why they're still called mobile phones (or cell phones) when they're actually now pocket computers with a phone function.

I have a deep distrust of Wi-Fi and especially public Wi-Fi hotspots to the point that I only ever connect my phone to my home Wi-Fi network, if it goes tits-up due to my lack of security knowledge then I only have myself to blame.

I've seen far too many videos/news reports on TV with a guy sat in the corner of a café hacking into nearby mobile devices via the café Wi-Fi network to ever trust 'hotspots'... I don't care how big or small the organisation is that provides the Wi-Fi signal, Wi-Fi is flawed no matter what encryption method they/you use imo.

That said, and because I pay extra for the function, I will and do use the unlimited mobile (3g/4g etc) data function my phone provider provides for just about anything on my phone. There's still no guarantee that it's 100% safe but if they don't do a good job of securing their mobile network then they won't be in business for long so at least they have an incentive to make their network secure.
How secure is likely highly debateable but my carrier hasn't had any data breaches... that I'm aware of.

Like Jay I also have a tablet, but I use this primarily for media purposes, streaming video from my pay TV provider (Sky) or the BBC etc... i'll happily connect this to open Wi-Fi networks because it will NEVER be used for accessing any sensitive data and nor will it ever store sensitive data.

Both are android devices and thus use Google in one form or another so a certain amount of personal data is always going to be shared but I try my best to limit that as well... probably unsuccessfully.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:37 pm 

My mobile is a Windows phone and never leaves the house, probably because I don't, I think last Friday was the first time it did leave the house when I went to the hospital and all I did was read a book I had downloaded to it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices