Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Kindle question
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Is it possible to install a NOOK app on a Kindle? If it is possible how would it be done, just do it or is there a specific method.

While I didn't spend an extreme amount of time I did do a search and the results seem mixed. Well I guess not all that mixed but, while doable, rather convoluted. I'm asking for a friend at work so I won't have the device in hand. I guess what I'm really asking is if this is something that novice could do without much worry?

Post subject: Re: Kindle question
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:01 am 
Fearless Leader

I don't know, but I think you'd have to look at installing android apps other than Amazon apps (Google Play, other stores, if there are any out there). Or is that too obvious and you're already doing that. LOL I mention it because I ran across a forum thread somewhere describing what you would have to do to install apps from Google on your Kindle.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:34 am 

Without looking at my Kindle I believe you'd have to go into the settings and change a setting to allow apps from third parties to be installed. I know I had to do that to be able to read some library books on the apps the library used which normally couldn't be installed on the Kindle.

Nook have stopped providing content to this side the pond now, I had the app for that on my Notebook and had to sign up with Sainsbury's Entertainment to have my books transferred over from the Nook or I would have lost any I'd bought through them.

Edit: What Kindle is involved here do you know Jay ? I've just had a quick look through my latest Kindle which is the new 5th Generation Fire that came out a few months ago and I've not been able to find the setting yet for it. I'll have a look at my other Kindle which is a 3rd Generation Fire.
OK just looked and the setting is under Settings then Applications and the first thing is the part to allow apps from third parties, so it may be that they taken that option out of the newer Kindles. I'll have to dig deeper in my new one just to make sure.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:21 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Thanks both. :) I'll see if I can find what form of Kindle.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices