Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Google Photos
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:53 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been planning to get a new phone. The whole family have iPhones and I have an Ipad, so it's just easier to get a new iPhone. However, I often watch instructional videos by Techtalk America. It used to be called PC Classes on line - they do free lessons and youtube help videos.

I watched their video about Google Photos. Then I downloaded it on all my devices. Now I have about 7,000 photos in Google Photos - from my PC, my iPad and my Iphone. It's very handy. My daughter in law was here last week and she was looking through all my old photos and emailing some to herself because they were of her daughters and she had never seen them. And they are in date order too, or else you can search under subjects.

My question is -- if I have all these photos from every device available on Google Photos, is there any point in getting a new phone with 128 g memory? My son and his wife both have them, so does my granddaughter. She says she needs it because she has 6,000 photos on her phone. But I have a 16 gig phone and I have 7,000 photos on my phone - using Google Photos. Every time I take a photo, it is immediately uploaded into Google Photos! If you just choose "high quality" you can get unlimited storage. I don't want to make posters out of my photos. I just want to look at them myself as reminders and show them to other people.

Obviously the phones with the bigger memory are more expensive and when I check the usage, most of it is photos. I don't need any suggestions about getting a different phone. To tell the truth, I haven't been able to type on a phone without making a mistake since I got rid of my Blackberry!!

Post subject: Re: Google Photos
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

If you don't download and install a slew of apps, you don't have music stored on your phone, and you've got enough space for your photos, there's no reason to go for the extra storage on the phone.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:57 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks.

I am pretty sure that if I delete photos from my iPhone or iPad and they are synced together, the photos will go from both. But Google Photos is totally different. If I want the same photos gone from Google Photos, I will have to delete them from Google Photos, even though they "magically" appear in Google Photos whenever I take a photo with my phone.

I just don't want to risk losing my old photos. But I think Google Photos will take care of that.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I would do a lot of research on this. You must understand that I am pretty ignorant as to cell phones, I don't even carry one. My concern is that, since Google automatically adds a photo when taken, it just might also remove if removed from the device...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Admin

I don't use Google Photos or any iPhone/iPads, but I do use Windows Phone which syncs to OneDrive automatically. Deleting a photo on Windows Phone will not remove it from OneDrive. You need to explicitly remove it from OneDrive on the web or from a PC that synchronizes. I presume that Google Photos behaves similarly.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes. Thanks. I have tested it out more than once by deleting a photograph that I definitely didn't want. You have to go into Google Photos to delete any photos. Deleting them from the iphone or iPad doesn't delete them from Google Photos.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Good job on testing. I doubted that there would be such an issue but wanted you to be sure for the safety of your photos. You just never know... Google does some strange things... ;)

Is Google Photos your only backup of these photos? If so correct that. I assume that you can connect your phone to your computer. If that is correct do so and copy all the photos to your hard drive. I even back up my photos to CD. You always want multiple backups just because 'things' happen.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the advice.

I also have them backed up to icloud on my phone and my ipad. I have a thumb drive and I copy my ipad photos to my computer and then copy everything on to a thumb drive from time to time. So I think I am covered pretty well.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices