Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward

Post subject: Hello everyone
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:50 am 
welcoming committee

Hello everyone! Computer Haven looks like a very friendly place with knowledgeable people, so I decided to register even though I've lost count on of my Internet forum accounts (my password manager thankfully knows everything).

Using computers since the Commodore 64 era, so I'd be happy to help and ask questions of my own.
Oh, and I strongly dislike mobile devices. :mad5:

Keep on computing!

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hello and welcome. :)

My first system was an Atari 400 and I am also not a cell phone lover...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm 

Welcome to the forum, you're right we're a very friendly forum so I'm sure you will fit in very well.

You started before I did with the technology, my first use of the new world was in late 1998 with a Hewlett Packard running Windows 98 First Edition.

How things have moved on since then. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 pm 

I'm a bit of a hardware/media freak. If I may ask, what kind of system are you running now? Do you buy pre-built or build your own? I build my own.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you!

JoanA wrote:
How things have moved on since then. :roll:

Yes... it's hard to understand whether things have improved or not. Everything seems less colourful somehow.

jaylach wrote:
I'm a bit of a hardware/media freak. If I may ask, what kind of system are you running now? Do you buy pre-built or build your own? I build my own.

I'm more of a software freak but yes, I definitively prefer custom-built PC's too It's an old desktop on a surprisingly serviceable quad-core Yorkfield CPU. Trying to replace everything with a new AMD-based system, probably the 3700X. My current one refuses to die though, and works quite well. Also using a newer laptop (nothing fancy) but it doesn't feel like a "real" PC.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to Computer Haven. We're a small core group, but we welcome anyone to join us!
I guess I'm a technology geek -- I love learning about anything tech. I am not into building PCs, but have certainly done enough minor repairs and rebuilds of hardware. I am not obsessed with my mobile devices, but I am fascinated by what they can do. I prefer a desktop PC for my main computer time, though I have several laptops and tablets that I also play with.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 pm 

KeepItRetro wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I'm more of a software freak but yes, I definitively prefer custom-built PC's too It's an old desktop on a surprisingly serviceable quad-core Yorkfield CPU. Trying to replace everything with a new AMD-based system, probably the 3700X. My current one refuses to die though, and works quite well. Also using a newer laptop (nothing fancy) but it doesn't feel like a "real" PC.

I tend to prefer AMD (just more bang for the buck over Intel). My main system is as follows... sorry if this bores. When I built the thing it was pretty state of the art but is now just strong. I don't over-clock at all. In fact I under-clock my memory speed and the temperature limits on my video card.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8-core 16 thread 3.6 GHz. CPU (4 GHz. boost).
ASRock X370 Taichi AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 380 DirectX 12 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Video Card
32 GB 3.2 GHz. memory. ( I actually under clock to 3.066 MHz..)
2-M.2 500 GB SS drives. I manually clone between the two as a backup method along with doing system images. Sort of like a manual mirror R.A.I.D. array. This is my system drive and clone thereof.
1-240 GB SATA SSD. Mostly used for video conversions.
12 TB in spin drives mostly for media storage. With movies, documentaries and music/stage I have a library of over 900 items.
Haupauge USB TV/FM tuner. Cable, a VCR and a DVD player are connected so the tuner acts as a multi-device DVR.
Yamaha sound system connected via an Optical Digital connection.
Dual monitors using 42 and 32 inch HDTVs. (both screens are also connected to my cable video)

By today's standards it is getting just a little bit long in the tooth (especially the video) but performs well. :)

I also have a second desktop system that I sync to duplicate my media and data drives as a backup, using GoodSync, along with an 8 year old I5 laptop that dual boots between Windows 7 and 10. I also have a 10.1 inch tablet that I use almost exclusively for eBooks. As to phones I'm strictly landline. While the laptop is old it has some perks such as wireless HDMI and the ability to connect to 3-4G networks. When I bought it it was a $1000.00 unit. I paid $479.00 getting it re-certified. 8 years later it seems to have been a good buy. ;)

Steve that posted above is our networking guru. :)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you, Stephen. That's a really nice system, jaylach. I know we don't like small screens, but 32'' and -gulp- 42'' are certainly massive for PC use! I wonder if they are comfortable to the eyes for prolonged, regular PC use (Web, Office etc.). Also have a soft spot for TV cards, but prefer PCI over USB (currently with a brilliant DVB-T/DVB-S2/FM Hauppauge).

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:38 pm 

Feel free to just refer to me as Jay. No one calls me jaylach around here. :)

As to the monitor sizes you have to consider that the thing is a media system. I sit on my couch 8-9 feet away from the screens. Quite often I'll have a movie or sports on one screen and a game on the other. With the distance I sit there is no issue as to the size in relation to Word, my web editor or anything else. In fact I have my browser zoom set to 125%.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Welcome aboard, Retro. As the other board Moderator, I'm probably the board member with the least technical knowledge. But I have learned a lot from Computer Haven, especially from Jay who has walked me through some complicated procedures.

But unlike you and Jay, I do like mobile devices.....I have an iPhone, iPad and iPod. The iPad is actually required to read our state-wide newspaper, as it went digital a few months ago (except for the Sunday edition). The iPhone is used primarily to text my kids and grand-kids, all of whom are more into texting than emailing. The iPod is used to play my recorded music in a very old truck (before USB ports).

That being said, I do have four store-bought desktop computers....my current Win 10, and older dual mode Win 10/Win 7, and a really older Win 7. I also have an iMac that I haven't used for years, but that's another story.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I look forward to your contributions and to your questions.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:41 am 
welcoming committee

Thank you, Bill. :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm 

Hey, KeepItRetro, you said that you wanted to put together an AMD based system. If you plan on building it yourself here is what looks like a good deal on an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor for $159.99 USD (normal price is $329.99 USD). Sigh, how things change. I paid almost $500.00 USD for my 1st Gen AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 CPU when they first came out...

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x/p/N82E16819113499

You MAY also want to look at the two ASRock motherboards in the right hand column. The Taichi is the stronger board.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:10 am 
welcoming committee

Thank Jay, it's a good deal. Switching to my local -European- version of Newegg though, $159.99 magically become €274,68. Local shops are usually more convenient for hardware. It's not time for me to upgrade yet anyway, and I'll probably prefer the current CPU generation (the 3700X most likely, although I'll be watching the pricier Ryzen 9 and Threadripper releases, too). Hopefully next year.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:23 pm 

No worries. I just saw it and figured that I'd pass it on. ;)

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward