Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I believe it was Steve that told me a while back that MS Edge could not be installed on Windows 7 but after they stopped support for Windows 7, they must have had a change of heart and opened a new version of edge here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

I downloaded Edge to my main Windows 7 Computer from that site today and it seems to be quite fast and everything works ok so far. I was wondering if anyone else on here has added Edge to Windows 7 and if so, how is it going?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I haven't tried it but will likely install on my Windows 7 virtual machine.

I'm sure this is the new Edge that has been around for a while in beta form that is based on the same core as Chrome.

I do have it on my main Windows 10 machine (just installed) and it seems fine.

<edit>
Just put it on my Windows 7 virtual machine and it seems to work fine. I am posting this from that install.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the new Edge, which uses the Chromium engine (same as Google Chrome), can be installed to Windows 7. While Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning no more updates to it, Enterprise customers can pay for extended support and there are, of course, many people still using Windows 7.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
There are other cases where Windows 7 can still get updates such as systems involved in this year's voting process but it isn't available for the every day user. I REALLY don't get this as updates are still being made. I would seem to me that it would be the best for all to keep updates going for all to help keep things more secure. Of course the reason is that Microsoft wants all on a common OS so that it is easier to maintain the security of individual systems. It just seems to me that it would make more sense to have all possible systems kept secure. It would be different if updates were not still being done at all but they are. It seems to me that Microsoft is allowing a potentially dangerous attack vector that need not be. I could understand and accept the same rule of paying a fee for the normal user to keep getting updates but it makes no sense to me to totally not allow.

Actually the new Edge does not look bad from my limited experience with the thing.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 am 

I've been using the new Edge for a while now, I used it during its beta days and then downloaded it again when it came out of beta.
I like it and so far have no problems with it, this is on my Windows 10 64bit HP Envy laptop. Hubby uses Firefox on his desktop but the original Edge on his laptop and I still use that one on my desktop.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email