Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Does anyone here use Mozilla Firefox? For reasons unknown, when I open Firefox, it takes about 15 seconds for it to load. Seems to work fine once I get going but without fail, if I am using it, and close down and a minute or so later try to open it, it says it cant find the site...........then about 5 minutes later it works ok again...your thoughts?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, I use Firefox as my default browser. Have you done a shutdown of the system removing all power then re-connected the power and started again? If this does not help then try the following.

1) Reset the router/modem.

2) Uninstall and re-install Firefox.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Yes, I use Firefox as my default browser. Have you done a shutdown of the system removing all power then re-connected the power and started again? If this does not help then try the following.

1) Reset the router/modem.

2) Uninstall and re-install Firefox.

Did all that, will try it for a while and then get back to you and let you know how things are going. Thanks Jay

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:35 pm 

OK, let us know. :)

Other things to try if the issue persists...

1) Run full security scans as the browsers on a system are often affected by an infection. I would doubt this being the case but does not hurt to rule out.

2) Try another browser to see if it is also affected or if the issue is specific to Firefox. Since more and more sites are dropping Internet Explorer support I'd suggest trying Chrome, Opera or Vivaldi browsers for the test.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
OK, let us know. :)

Other things to try if the issue persists...

1) Run full security scans as the browsers on a system are often affected by an infection. I would doubt this being the case but does not hurt to rule out.

2) Try another browser to see if it is also affected or if the issue is specific to Firefox. Since more and more sites are dropping Internet Explorer support I'd suggest trying Chrome, Opera or Vivaldi browsers for the test.

I could not make Firefox work. Downloaded chrome and seems to be working ok

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:27 pm 

If Firefox is still installed run it and do the following if able.

1) Click the hamburger menu, upper right, three horizontal lines, and select "Help" then "Troubleshooting Information".

2) Click on "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" and follow the prompts.

3) If things seem OK go back to step 1) but select to "Refresh Firefox" and follow through.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If Firefox is still installed run it and do the following if able.

1) Click the hamburger menu, upper right, three horizontal lines, and select "Help" then "Troubleshooting Information".

2) Click on "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" and follow the prompts.

3) If things seem OK go back to step 1) but select to "Refresh Firefox" and follow through.

That left a folder on my desktop called "Old Firefox Data". What do I do with that?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:57 pm 

Since I've never actually done this procedure I can only assume that the "Old Firefox Data" folder contains data that could be imported back to Firefox. Did the folder appear after running Firefox without add-ons or after a refresh? I would assume after a refresh as starting without add-ons is a temporary action while a refresh is permanent.

If everything seems OK I'd ignore the "Old Firefox Data" folder as your issue was likely due to an add-on that would be brought back if you imported this data. Leave it alone and, if everything seems OK after a while, just delete the folder.

You didn't actually say if my last recommendation seemed to help or not. I'd like to know. ;) If doing a refresh seems to have helped I would have to assume that your latest Firefox update had an issue with a previously installed add-on.

<edit>
OK, since I don't really do any add-ons to lose, I did a Firefox refresh and got the same folder as you on my desktop. Looking at it it seems to just be your cookies, bookmarks, etc. that are automatically imported back to Firefox after a refresh. Assuming that you got a dialog stating that a list of imports was successful after doing a refresh the imports were done from this folder. After doing this everything was as it was with Firefox except that I had to re-establish my "Menu Bar" and home page.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since I've never actually done this procedure I can only assume that the "Old Firefox Data" folder contains data that could be imported back to Firefox. Did the folder appear after running Firefox without add-ons or after a refresh? I would assume after a refresh as starting without add-ons is a temporary action while a refresh is permanent.

If everything seems OK I'd ignore the "Old Firefox Data" folder as your issue was likely due to an add-on that would be brought back if you imported this data. Leave it alone and, if everything seems OK after a while, just delete the folder.

You didn't actually say if my last recommendation seemed to help or not. I'd like to know. ;) If doing a refresh seems to have helped I would have to assume that your latest Firefox update had an issue with a previously installed add-on.

<edit>
OK, since I don't really do any add-ons to lose, I did a Firefox refresh and got the same folder as you on my desktop. Looking at it it seems to just be your cookies, bookmarks, etc. that are automatically imported back to Firefox after a refresh. Assuming that you got a dialog stating that a list of imports was successful after doing a refresh the imports were done from this folder. After doing this everything was as it was with Firefox except that I had to re-establish my "Menu Bar" and home page.

Still not working for me. Mozilla wont open. I am on Chrome now and able to open web pages and browse. Mozilla sometimes opens but all the pages I try to access say cant find this page

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:05 pm 

Sigh, While I can't prove without direct access to your system I truly think that your system is infected. Even if you followed my advice to run full security scans and everything seemed OK it still does not rule out an infection. If you click on the wrong link and allow it to load it is quite possible that this single click allows malware to be installed bypassing your normal security. In such a case one of the first things that such a malware install would do is to protect itself against your security.

Could you please refresh our memories as to any and all security software that you run.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sigh, While I can't prove without direct access to your system I truly think that your system is infected. Even if you followed my advice to run full security scans and everything seemed OK it still does not rule out an infection. If you click on the wrong link and allow it to load it is quite possible that this single click allows malware to be installed bypassing your normal security. In such a case one of the first things that such a malware install would do is to protect itself against your security.

Could you please refresh our memories as to any and all security software that you run.

I have decided to remove Mozilla from my computer. Chrome is much faster and loads every time I click on it. AVG is currently installed on this computer. I don't like it so may changed to something else soon.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email