Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

I had hoped to use my external hdd Passport .pst file to import it into emClient, is that possible? I would have 2 File Explorer windows open but I wasn't sure if I should choose just the .pst file (would that include Calendar AND all the email folders I have which are about 50) on the first option which is, Import whole or Import pst? (the next question I'll leave for the next post).

The alternative method would be to connect the laptop that contains the Outlook program and files to the New laptop and initiate the import that way. To do that, I would need a cable with a USB connector on both ends, correct? I do have such a cable that I use to charge the battery on an Ipad, would that work?

Hope this makes sense.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: on 2nd thought I don't have a cable with 2 USB connectors. I need to buy one I suppose or is there something I'm not thinking of that I could use? Each of my numerous cables have 1 USB and 1 non-USB connector.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I split this from the previous thread as it is a totally different topic than the first.
Please keep each topic to one issue as it will result in you getting better responses and will also prevent confusion within a thread. :) LOL! We are not at all strict about staying on-topic in a thread but, when issues are involved, it is still best to keep one actual question to a specific post. Where not doing so causes a problem for you is that someone may have nothing else to offer to the original question and doesn't bother looking at the thread anymore. This person may have the perfect answer for the second question but never sees it.... :)

eM Client does not use the PST format. Not sure if eM Client has the ability to import a PST file but it may. If so just copy all the PST file/s to a flash drive and plug into the new system to import. I'll try to give a better answer at another time but can't at this moment...

<edit>
I did a quick search and found this:
https://www.bitrecover.com/blog/outlook-to-em-client/
I would still put the PST file/s from the old system to a flash drive and point the import to the flash drive.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I split this from the previous thread as it is a totally different topic than the first.
Please keep each topic to one issue as it will result in you getting better responses and will also prevent confusion within a thread. :) LOL! We are not at all strict about staying on-topic in a thread but, when issues are involved, it is still best to keep one actual question to a specific post. Where not doing so causes a problem for you is that someone may have nothing else to offer to the original question and doesn't bother looking at the thread anymore. This person may have the perfect answer for the second question but never sees it.... :)

eM Client does not use the PST format. Not sure if eM Client has the ability to import a PST file but it may. If so just copy all the PST file/s to a flash drive and plug into the new system to import. I'll try to give a better answer at another time but can't at this moment...

<edit>
I would still put the PST file/s from the old system to a flash drive and point the import to the flash drive.

ok Jay no rush because I need to pick up a flash drive that is 20gb or larger, the pst file is that large. So no rush!!!! Thanks a bunch!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

<edit>

ok Jay no rush because I need to pick up a flash drive that is 20gb or larger, the pst file is that large. So no rush!!!! Thanks a bunch!!

ps: I'm still debating whether I might be better off buying the annual $100 because now I see there is an archive file in the Outlook folder and I 'think' this could be the calendar archive and it is something I've had to check back to from time to time. The deeper I go with this transfer and since emClient may not be able to import that, it might be easier to just purchase the same program that these Outlook files are designed for.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

The archive.pst file should import just fine into emclient. However, you may want to reduce the size of your active email store in emclient already if the pst file (which contains *all* of your active Outlook data) is approaching 20 Gigs!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The archive.pst file should import just fine into emclient. However, you may want to reduce the size of your active email store in emclient already if the pst file (which contains *all* of your active Outlook data) is approaching 20 Gigs!

I've been going through all the folders I have to eliminate. I'm not sure how much I can eliminate but I'm just keeping important. Also, when I do delete emails within Outlook, I'm not sure if the reduced size of the Inbox or whatever folder I eliminate or reduce is being reflected in the total that shows up.

Ideally I'd like to import: current calendar with archive, no Inbox because it is all Gmail and it on the Gmail site, Contacts yes, and just current saved folders holding possibly 20 or less emails per folder but a lot of folders. Currently I'm not downloading any emails, period, so inbox only contains outdated junk I could delete. I think most of the volume is inbox junk. I could snapshot the size of the .pst folder, delete the inbox junk and see what the resulting size is. Would that be helpful?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I want to just run this by all: my current pst file is 5,392,529 kb. my flash drive has been emptied but when I look at properties of the drive, it shows: used space 64kb, free space 14.9gb. I don't know what all the kb = gb is on the current pst hopefully you know. How much space DO I need on a flash drive or do I already have enough space on my current 14.9gb drive?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:44 pm 

That would mean that the PST file is actually a little over 5GB, not 20GB. The flash drive you mention would be more than large enough.

Make sure to look at the link I supplied,
before doing as it explains how to import a PST file to eM Client.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
That would mean that the PST file is actually a little over 5GB, not 20GB. The flash drive you mention would be more than large enough.

Make sure to look at the link I supplied,
before doing as it explains how to import a PST file to eM Client.

The link you sent is the one I'm using for the import. I wasn't sure about the Step 4 and 6 so that's where I left off. When I plug the drive into the USB port and try to copy the pst from the laptop that Outlook is installed on with the 5GB size using drag and drop, I get the message:

File Too Large
Outlook.pst
Type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders
Size: 5.14GB
Date Modified: Tue 06 25 2019 6:05pm Cancel

Its possible the flash drive is damaged but there were pix etc on there. I could buy a 10gb flash drive and then we would know for sure. I received the same error message when I used a 2GB flash drive but that was expected.

Edit: I just finished deleting the entire Inbox folder of my Outlook program on the original laptop and the # of kb in the pst folder did NOT change. I did a restart also but there was a windows update that needed complete that I didnt know about so maybe that is why it didn't change but Inbox is definately smaller. There is a procedure in Outlook's Tools or Actions that used to be available to adjust the size of the pst but I haven't used that yet but its still down to 5gb vs 20gb.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:17 pm 

By the numbers you posted the flash drive should be large enough but the things are cheap, just get a new flash drive that is larger.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:47 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
By the numbers you posted the flash drive should be large enough but the things are cheap, just get a new flash drive that is larger.

I agree, will post back when new flash drive is tried. Thanks All!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect that your Flash drive is formatted as FAT32 or FAT. You need to format the drive for NTFS in order to copy a file larger than 4 gigs to it.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:23 pm 

sboots wrote:
I suspect that your Flash drive is formatted as FAT32 or FAT. You need to format the drive for NTFS in order to copy a file larger than 4 gigs to it.

-steve

Good catch Steve! I never thought about the 4GB boundary with FAT/FAT32.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:35 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:

-steve

Good catch Steve! I never thought about the 4GB boundary with FAT/FAT32.

Format now done; copy is now in progress! Thanks Steve! and Jay and all!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 am 
welcoming committee

Am starting the Import, chose Microsoft Outlook to import from, next window is do I want to import WHOLE account or folders/parts of whole account and since I want to avoid running into the same issue with downloading gmail (Outlook in Jan. when I changed the password, Outlook didn't recognize the new password I entered into its setup) will I end up setting up this emclient the same way if I choose the Whole Account with settings option?

No hurry ever, want this to work nicely rather than quickly; will be away for a few hrs now but will check in when I come home. k

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Admin

The import will only copy the data that exists in the PST file you are importing from.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Import is done, altho
No calendars show up in emclient except for the couple entries I set up directly in emclient prior.
Contacts imported full name, File as and email address only, no phones or addresses.

In #8, I chose to import to Local Folders so the folders show up under Local Folders at the end of folders original to emclient which is ok, some critical ones also imported so that is ok.

The screen shots in the instructions are a little different than what they are today:

under #3 besides the email programs to import from, below that are files which I had to choose .pst file. (also, I did have to open File Explorer showing the .pst file prior to beginning the import so the .pst file was available for the import process could find it);

under #7 where it showed me a list of folders to import, all were checked automatically I just double-checked those that had an arrow indicating subfolder to make sure those subfolders were checked also;

under #8 I chose to move all the imports to Local Folder, the 1st ticked box; I didn't know what 'specific folder' I should choose on the 2nd option so that's why I chose Local Folder.

Would it work to rerun the import to see where Calendars might be listed, to re-import just the Calendars (current & archive)?

Edit: Before I forget, while the import process was almost half done, emclient's reminder window popped up and no attempt to snooze it or cancel it did anything so I went to Ctrl+Alt+Del in Task Manager , highlighted emclient program and then clicked on the X in the upper right hand corner because I didn't want to close emclient but it DID remove the reminders window and the import process was able to complete. (this may help others trying to import)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

I am not familiar with the import process, but, yes, you could probably run the import again and specify to only import the calendar folder from the PST file and point it to the Calendar folder (assuming it is shown as such) in emclient.
Perhaps someone else will have better advice for you...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 pm 

Sorry to say that I can't help on the fine points. My outlook/hotmail account was always IMAP so it just synced automatically. My other three emails are all through my hosting and POP3, there was no issue. I never imported a PST file. I will look and see what I see but I can't do tonight...

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email