Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, now I am in total overload. :?

I had already reached the double pane in FileZilla that you showed a couple of postings above. And I was ready to upload my site files from my computer to public_html on the host, when I decided to first heed your advice and move all the site files on the host to a backup folder that I had just created within public_html.

I had paused at that point to think about should I 'move' my site files to the backup folder to get them out of the way, or should I just 'copy' them there for safe keeping in case something goes wrong during my upload. And I was about ready to post the question.....move or copy to backup folder?

Then I received your posting above. I guess I'm just not understanding why I now need to set up this special FTP Account. I had already connected to my host account via Quickconnect, and the files on my hosting account were shown in the right panel. So I thought I was good to go once I did the backup.

As you probably surmised.....FTP, FTP Clients like FileZilla, folders like public_html, etc. are sorta new to me, as I never really got into all of that 15 years ago when I created my website(s) using FrontPage. Or if I did, I forgot most of it. But I'm trying.... :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
Well, now I am in total overload. :?

I had already reached the double pane in FileZilla that you showed a couple of postings above. And I was ready to upload my site files from my computer to public_html on the host, when I decided to first heed your advice and move all the site files on the host to a backup folder that I had just created within public_html.
I did not realize that you already had FileZilla set up. Just backup your site files already on the hosting and go with the upload of your local files.

I had paused at that point to think about should I 'move' my site files to the backup folder to get them out of the way, or should I just 'copy' them there for safe keeping in case something goes wrong during my upload. And I was about ready to post the question.....move or copy to backup folder?
Does not really matter if you move or copy the site files on your hosting to the backup folder. The only thing is that, if you copy instead of move to the backup folder, FileZilla will come up with a dialog saying that the files already exist. Just tell it to overwrite for only the current queue.

Then I received your posting above. I guess I'm just not understanding why I now need to set up this special FTP Account. I had already connected to my host account via Quickconnect, and the files on my hosting account were shown in the right panel. So I thought I was good to go once I did the backup.
I have no idea as to what Quickconnect happens to be but assume it is a hosting supplied FTP transfer method. Use it if it works for you but I still must recommend using FileZilla.

As you probably surmised.....FTP, FTP Clients like FileZilla, folders like public_html, etc. are sorta new to me, as I never really got into all of that 15 years ago when I created my website(s) using FrontPage. Or if I did, I forgot most of it. But I'm trying.... :oops:
When you did your file transfers via Front Page you were actually using FTP that is built into Front Page. You can no longer do that so you need a third party FTP transfer method. I sometimes have trouble explaining things like this and the best that I can do is to say to think of your hosting as an external hard drive and whatever FTP client is used to access.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the fast response, Jay.

In regards to the Quickconnect, it is actually part of FileZilla. If you look at your first post showing the double panes within FileZilla, below the tool bar you will see entry boxes for Host, Username, Password, Port and then a button for Quickconnect. After all the data has been filled in, I can just click on Quickconnect to connect to the host account.

And you were previously correct....the username and password are those used for my cPanel.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:32 pm 

Then you should be good to go. Backup the site files on your hosting then just use FileZilla to upload the entire thing from your local system to your hosting.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, this is embarrassing. Yesterday when I was playing around and trying to decide whether to move or copy my site files to the backup folder I had just created, I thought I right clicked on any of the site files and the drop down menu gave me a choice of whether to move or copy. In fact, I did successfully copy three of my site files to the backup folder just to experiment.

Well, this morning when I got ready to move my site files to the backup folder, I right clicked on some of my site files and the drop down menu DID NOT contain either a move or a copy command.

Do you know what I might be doing wrong this morning that seemed to work yesterday??? Me thinks the hosting gods are against me.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:35 am 

My question would be why you got the file copy/move option yesterday as I sure don't have it. Following is what I get on a right click in FileZilla.

Attachment:
ftp7.png
ftp7.png [ 13.22 KiB | Viewed 3441 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea, Jay, what you show is what I get. But somehow yesterday I managed to copy 3 image files to my billbackup folder, but couldn't repeat it today. Sorry for the confusion.

But when you previously recommended that I create a new folder within public_html called backup and move all the site files on the hosting to that folder before uploading all the files from my local system to public_html......how did you intend that I move these files? There must be a way, right?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm 

Actually you just drag and drop like in Windows File Explorer.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 pm 
welcoming committee

And I do that all on the remote site, correct? And how do I distinguish between copy and move?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:44 pm 

Yes, you do that on the remote.

Copy/move is the same as with Windows File Explorer, CTRL to copy, SHIFT to move.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email