Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you add exceptions, Jay, are they treated as "or" or as "and" -- I would hope as "or."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
If you add exceptions, Jay, are they treated as "or" or as "and" -- I would hope as "or."

Actually it seems that you could stack them and have a pretty complete Boolean logic setup. If you notice in the last screenshot it is not a case of just selecting one option. You can select multiple.

Say that you wanted to only accept emails if your name is in the To or Cc fields but also want to receive a Newsletter that just shows your email in the To field. You would allow if your name was in the To or Cc fields but can also stack with the name of the news letter as a word in the header. All three of the options would be valid.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

If stacking options works as you describe, that means it treats the series of exceptions as "or" so that any one of the exceptions cause the rule to take action.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 pm 

Yes, it is mostly 'or' but an 'and' situation can be created. For instance I could set a rule to have my name in the To field 'and' specific words in the subject. If both conditions are met send to a specific folder. At first the rules method seemed a bit cumbersome but then I've never done that much with rules. ;) This actually seems quite versatile.
Attachment:
rule-21.png
rule-21.png [ 39.41 KiB | Viewed 5992 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay & Steve - I haven't gotten around yet to working on my rules exceptions, as I've been getting ready to help a neighbor install his new Velocity Win 10 desktop computer. And that's probably going to take me most of tomorrow ('cause I'm slow). But your back-and-forth dialog is helping me understand the logic.....so thanks.

EDIT: One quick question....do you see a way to allow email from everyone on my Contacts list other than having to checkbox each one of them?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay & Steve - I haven't gotten around yet to working on my rules exceptions, as I've been getting ready to help a neighbor install his new Velocity Win 10 desktop computer. And that's probably going to take me most of tomorrow ('cause I'm slow). But your back-and-forth dialog is helping me understand the logic.....so thanks.

I actually worried that Steve and I were talking over your head as we've both done rules before and (it seems) you have not done much.

I'm glad that our discussion has been helpful rather than harmful. :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:39 pm 

bbarry wrote:
EDIT: One quick question....do you see a way to allow email from everyone on my Contacts list other than having to checkbox each one of them?

I'm going to guess that you would have to select each. However, look for an option to select all. I'll look later but can't right now.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:

I suspect that you would set up the rule to move messages from "people" to a folder of your choosing, but you would then need to select all of the people in your address book after clicking "people" when creating the rule.

You would probably set this to run before the spam rules to prevent the spam rule from grabbing a message you were BCC'd on from one of your contacts.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:20 pm 

@ BB: Yes, you will have to select each contact but can do with one click. Click pn People in the rule template then Contacts. Click on the checkbox for Name and it will select all contacts.

@ Steve: Just due to there being some posts between mine and yours that followed I wanted to make sure that you saw my example of having an 'and' condition in a rule. If not here is a link to the post.
viewtopic.php?p=22055#p22055

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't have time to work the issue now, but ALL my email is going to my Junk folder. I think it depends on what eM Client considers to be my name. Some email is addressed to Bill Barry (this goes to Junk folder) and other email is addressed to bbarry@ar****o (and this also goes to Junk folder). So I thinking em Client knows me by a certain name, and I'm not sure what that name is.

So unless the email is addressed to that specific name, then it goes to the junk folder. I wonder how I can find out what eM Client considers my name to be as regards rules?

EDIT: My eM Client license says Bill Barry, but this name still goes to the Junk folder.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:44 pm 

Did you move the new rule to the top of the rules list? You might also try setting the rule to stop processing rules after the specific rule is finished.

Just while I'm thinking on it; I'd probably see if you can remove the spam filter rule as it does no good as your email account providers seem to not use SpamAssassin.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Jay -- I saw the "and" filter rule.

bbarry, I concur that you would want to add the action to stop processing more rules to the rule that looks for messages where you are in the TO or CC fields that moves these to a specified folder (other than the inbox) and place this rule first in your list. Your junk mail rule should follow to move messages left in the inbox to the junk mail folder. eM Client would know your email address(es) based on what you have configured for the server account(s).

If you do the above and it still misbehaves, post screen captures of each of the rules (details) and your list of rules.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did you move the new rule to the top of the rules list?
Yes I did. I now have 3 rules, in this order:
- the Wizard rule that I created; the one we are now talking about
- the Spam filter rule that came with eM Client
- the Blacklist rule; when I elect to move an email to the Junk folder, I am asked if I want to blacklist the name and/or domain

You might also try setting the rule to stop processing rules after the specific rule is finished.
I don't know how to do this.

Just while I'm thinking on it; I'd probably see if you can remove the spam filter rule as it does no good as your email account providers seem to not use SpamAssassin.
OK, I will do that.

I still think my current problem revolves around 'name', i.e., what does eM Client consider my name to be. Recall that I invoked the condition "My name is not in the To field"....but what name is the rule looking for here?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:11 pm 

If you flip through the next and back options when you set up the rule you will find the stop processing. It is a checkbox.

Just as with Outlook I would imagine that eM client looks at a 'name' as the same as what you entered as a name when you wet up the accounts. If the name is different between accounts it could be problematic. In the following screen shot it could also be tried by dropping the 'name it the To or Cc' and adding your 'names' to the word in heading list. Remember that each 'word' listing does not need to be a single word as it can also be a phrase. Also make sure that each word/phrase is on a seperate line in the list.

This is a bit hard for me to figure out as I can't easily duplicate. Mayhaps I'll set up a rule on my system to try to send my daily recipe emails to a specific folder but first try the following...
Attachment:
rule-22.png
rule-22.png [ 74.54 KiB | Viewed 5962 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Thanks, Jay -- I saw the "and" filter rule.

bbarry, I concur that you would want to add the action to stop processing more rules to the rule that looks for messages where you are in the TO or CC fields that moves these to a specified folder (other than the inbox) and place this rule first in your list.
As stated in my response to Jay, I don't know how to stop processing more rules. But when you just said "where you are in the TO or CC fields", what do you (Steve) mean by "you"? Which name do you think eM Client is looking for?

Your junk mail rule should follow to move messages left in the inbox to the junk mail folder.
I guess I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you are telling me here. Is this the spam filter rule that Jay suggested I remove since my ISP doesn't use SpamAssassin?
eM Client would know your email address(es) based on what you have configured for the server account(s).
Yes, all 5 of my accounts are working, but none of these addresses seem to be the 'name' that the rule is looking for.
If you do the above and it still misbehaves, post screen captures of each of the rules (details) and your list of rules.
Steve, the Wizard rule that I created (the one in question) now contains many exception email addresses of friends that I don't want to now post. But with the exception of these 'exceptions', the rule hasn't changed from what I posted several posts ago. So I will locate that and repost it.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I decided to try screen captures again.

Here is the list of my 3 current rules:
Attachment:
ruleslist.JPG
ruleslist.JPG [ 44.88 KiB | Viewed 5954 times ]

And here is the Wizard rule that I created (first one in the above list). I don't do freehand very well, but I wanted to cut off the email addresses of all my exceptions. What's happening with this rule is that incoming emails are going to my Junk folder even when my name IS in the To field.
Attachment:
rules3.JPG
rules3.JPG [ 51.28 KiB | Viewed 5954 times ]

Thanks to you and Jay for your help. I stand by for your next recommendation(s).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay & Steve - OK, at this point I have disabled the Spam filter rule that came with em Client, and I have stopped the processing of all other rules (I found the checkbox, Jay....thanks). But for right now, that's all I am going to do until I see how that works. If it fails, I will try other suggestions.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:09 pm 

Sounds good. :) Just to make sure I assume that you are not running eM Client and Live Mail at the same time. If so, stop. It is fine if Live Mail and eM client are both installed but you don't want both running at the same time.

I MAY have also found the issue with using your name in a rule. I just checked my accounts and, when importing, eM Client seems to have dropped the name field for my Hotmail account and replaced with the email address. You may want to check this. Go to Menu>Tools>Accounts. Click on each account and make sure that the name field has your actual name instead of your email address. The name field for my accounts through my hosting made it through but my Hotmaill account dropped the name replacing with the email address. If you want you can send me an email (not through CH) from each account and I'll see what it shows in the from field in the header; whether it is your name or an email address.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sounds good. :) Just to make sure I assume that you are not running eM Client and Live Mail at the same time. If so, stop. It is fine if Live Mail and eM client are both installed but you don't want both running at the same time.
Both are installed, but only eM is running. I may, in fact, soon be ready to uninstall WLM.

I MAY have also found the issue with using your name in a rule. I just checked my accounts and, when importing, eM Client seems to have dropped the name field for my Hotmail account and replaced with the email address. You may want to check this. Go to Menu>Tools>Accounts. Click on each account and make sure that the name field has your actual name instead of your email address.
I checked all five accounts, and the name on each is the same (Bill Barry)

The name field for my accounts through my hosting made it through but my Hotmaill account dropped the name replacing with the email address. If you want you can send me an email (not through CH) from each account and I'll see what it shows in the from field in the header; whether it is your name or an email address.
OK, will do.......on their way. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm 

I got all 5 emails with your name showing Bill Barry so that seems to not be the cause. It is my hope that stopping further processing of rules will help. It is possible that it does not act on a rule until all are done. This could mean that a second or third rule could take precedence.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, thanks. I will see what happens tonight and let you know. As advised, I have disabled the eM Client Spam filter and I have stopped other rules from being processed after my Wizard rule.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the screen captures -- and I forgot that your rule would list the email addresses and it is good that you snipped them out as we don't need to see them. :-)
The screen captures help tremendously. You're not dense! I was assuming that there were two rules -- one to look for spam to move to the junk folder where you are not named in To or CC unless it was from one of your contacts, and another rule to move messages from your contacts to another folder. Hold off on that idea for now...
I will look forward to updates on the testing. Rules can be rather complicated and finicky, and also hard to diagnose remotely. Jay's advice is spot on.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately I didn't get any spam email last night to confirm my testing. It's like taking your car to the mechanic only to have the problem suddenly disappear.

But I am finding the rules to be a little complicated and finicky, and sometimes illogical (in my mind). It's been many years since I took a course in Boolean Algebra.

I will keep you posted.....

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:13 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I got all 5 emails with your name showing Bill Barry so that seems to not be the cause. It is my hope that stopping further processing of rules will help. It is possible that it does not act on a rule until all are done. This could mean that a second or third rule could take precedence.
But Jay, isn't it the email coming to me rather than from me when name is important? For example, some email I receive is addressed To: Bill Barry. But other email I receive is addressed To: bbarry@a******.com. I guess which depends on what email software the sender is using.

So if eM Client only recognizes my Bill Barry name, then email sent to the other would go into my Junk folder. Right?

Still testing.......I didn't receive any spam last night to confirm settings

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:57 am 

That is why I suggested adding your email addresses as words found in the header.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email