Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Admin

No confusion - :-) -- it didn't work before and it's working now. It's the mystery of computers. If it happens again, be sure to capture the log for support. My gut says server timeout. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:49 am 
welcoming committee

Could be, Steve, as I know my ISP has been messing around with something lately because my DSL modem will randomly quit communicating. I know for a fact that my ISP is laying some optic fiber line; unfortunately not in my direction yet (if ever, lol).

The reason that I never wrote it off completely as server timeout is because I could immediately send the email w/attachment from my Win 7 computer using the free version of eM Client. Then turn around and unsuccessfully try again to send it from my Win 10 computer. And this happened numerous times. But it is all working now!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 pm 

Glad to see everything is working out for you BB. I live in a small village surrounded by farmland with the sea a couple of miles by road on one side, although if you go straight across from me down a side road it's about a 20min walk to the beach.

Our broadband used to be about the same as you when it first came to the village, we don't even have mains gas in the village, but I'm now part fibre and get an average of 62Mbps down and 18Mbps up, that is via wireless on this laptop. :-D

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hey BB, I don't want to sift through everything right now. Just to cover bases I assume that you have run full security scans just to be sure.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, Defender seems to run scans frequently, and I've set up MBAM to run weekly scans. Are you saying I need to do more?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 pm 

Both Defender and MBAM do quick scans by default. To do full scans you would have to open each program and select to do a full scan.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Both Defender and MBAM do quick scans by default. To do full scans you would have to open each program and select to do a full scan.

Holy Moly! I guess I should have read the fine print....I did know it also scanned all my external drives (I have 4 external and 2 internal drives). I started a full Defender scan and came back 3 hours later and it still had 17 hours to go. So I guess I'm going to have to do a selective/custom full scan. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:58 pm 

Ya, just do a custom scan on your internal drives.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, now I am totally confused. Internet research says external drives are excluded in full scan, yet my recent scan was going to be at least 20 hours, which sounds like a long time for just two internal drives.

For example here's what it says at Windows Central:
Windows Defender Antivirus doesn't scan removable drives during full scans by default, but there are ways to enable the functionality. ... As it turns out, by default, Windows Defender Antivirus does not scan external drives during a full scan — only during quick and custom scans.

And I don't see how to do a custom scan on just my two internal drives, unless I select to exclude each and every folder on all my external drives.

I know I must be missing something....

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I may need to stand corrected. It might take 20 hours to scan just my internal drives. Turns out I have three internals - a 512GB SSD, and two 2TB 7200 SATA drives. I forgot I had the 2nd 2TB internal drive.

But is 20 hours really reasonable?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:41 pm 

Go to Virus and threat protection. Under Quick scan will be scan options. Click on options and select custom scan then scan now. When the dialog comes up select your C: drive. My C: drive has about 239 GB used space and would take 1.5-2 hours to scan.

To be honest I doubt there will be anything but one always wants to rule out the possibility.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I had done most of that...went to Custom Scan and selected my C drive, but it kept asking me for a folder. So I didn't know whether to just click on the C drive or try and select individual folders. But I didn't go down the page far enough to see Scan Now. Once I did that, it started scanning my C drive. Since my C drive has about 376 GB of used space, it is estimated to take between 2.5 and 3 hours (it keeps skipping around). This is doable so I am letting it run.

But I then did the math for all three of my internal drives. Together they use about 2336 GB of space. So using the speed of 120 GB per hour, scanning all of this would take 19.46 hours....even more if I use the computer while the scanning is ongoing!! :shock: That's a day out of my life that I'm not willing to give up at this point.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 pm 

Personally I'd just stick with the C: drive although, if you did all three, it should not interfere with normal operation. Again, I don't expect anything to be found. I just want to rule out the possibility.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Once again, I agree with Jay. A scan of C: is fine. Personally, I only recommend a full scan of even C: rather than the quick scan is if malware is suspected based on system behavior or to insure the PC is infection free when infection was detected and dealt with. Defender is performing real time protection which is of much greater value than any scans.
Yes, 20+ hours for the amount of space used on your drives is entirely reasonable and expected.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email