Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, I didn't think I would find folders and contacts on my server, but I did check.

Steve & Jay - Please don't spend any more time on my import issues. Relatively speaking, they were minor....more of a nuisance than anything. I now have eM Client up-and-running like I want....my accounts, folders, messages, contacts, & distribution lists are all working well. I even downloaded a better sound for incoming emails....one that I can hear a little better.

BTW, I think eM Client Free would be a good addition for our Downloads page. Typical importing is very easy, as is the program setup. And the Free version allows two email addresses. Just a suggestion...….

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is directed mostly at Steve as he knows a heck of lot more about servers and email then myself.

Something has bothered me... well, not bothered but made me wonder. When I installed eM Client it automatically setup my Hotmail account which did not surprise me. However, it also automatically setup my three accounts that I do through my hosting. That is what makes me wonder.

With Live Mail and Outlook I had to manually setup my hosting accounts but not with eM Client. Is it possible that an email client can poll a mail server to find the proper settings? I think that this is what eM Client may do.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, for what it's worth. eM Client did the same for all five of my email accounts, and they reside on two different email servers. Yet when I was trying to setup Microsoft Mail on my friend's new Win 10 computer, Mail hosed everything up. I am not at all impressed with Mail and I am trying to get my friend to use eM Client.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Yes, eM Client could certainly poll the server for the settings required based on the email address if the server supports it.
https://www.emclient.com/faq-account-setup

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:01 pm 

Thanks. :) I'm a bit ashamed that I never thought to look at their FAQ.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm having a problem with eM Client in that I can't attach a large file to an outgoing email. Perhaps I should have started a new Topic, but since this one has covered a lot about eM Client, I thought I would just post it here. Jay, feel free to move if your deem appropriate.

Using my Win 10 computer, I have no problem sending emails with a small attachment. For example, I successfully attached a Word file of size 13 KB and a jpg file of size 130 KB. But when I tried to attach a jpg photo file of 800 KB or one of my 7.8 MB animal videos, the sending stops about half way thru and the email stays in my Outbox. On this computer I use Defender and Malwarebytes Premium, and the paid version of eM Client 7.2.34711.0

Now, on my Win 7 computer I have no problem sending any of the above-mentioned attachments. On this computer I use Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, the free version of Malwarebytes, and the free version of eM Client 7.2.34711.0.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't attach larger files on my Win 10 computer but can on my Win 7 computer? If the larger outgoing emails are being blocked by one of my AV or security components, how do I stop this from happening? I can't find any setting in eM Client that addresses this issue. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:32 pm 

Not a clue but I'll try emailing you a video file to see what happens.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Not a clue but I'll try emailing you a video file to see what happens.

OK, thanks. I have received nothing yet but will keep checking my Inbox. This issue really puts a cramp in my usage of an email client because weekly I send a short 10 second video(~9 MB) to around 40 people. I've been doing this for years and now they all expect to see the deer, fox, squirrels, raccoons, etc.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Turn off Malwarebytes Premium real time protection and see if that resolves the issue. If so, check the application protection section if there is an entry for eM Client that can be modified or turned off.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 pm 

I just sent a 6 MB video file to you, BB, about a minute ago. Sorry but I was out with my radio control truck... :mrgreen:

I had no issue sending but we need to see if you get.

@ Steve: I did the above send with MBAM Premium at defaults without issue.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I received all your videos.......thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm 

I don't know what to say... We both run the same build of Windows 10 and eM CLient yet I can't duplicate your issues.

Right now, without other tests, I can only advise that you contact eM Client's 'VIP' (paid version support) and put it on them. After all you were able to send these files with Live Mail.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

And as stated above in my original post, I was also able to send these files on my older computer running Win 7 and the free version on eM Client. I will contact their VIP support.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Turn off Malwarebytes Premium real time protection and see if that resolves the issue. If so, check the application protection section if there is an entry for eM Client that can be modified or turned off.

Steve, thanks for your input. I will investigate as you advised, but I have to admit that I am a little confused (par for the course, lol). I always thought real time protection protected me from incoming threats, not my own outgoing emails that I created and then attached a photo file before sending.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't used MBAM Premium for a while, but it *might* impact sending as it is looking at the file on the way out, too.
I agree with Jay's idea to check with eM Client support as it may be a server setting you can adjust. The fact that there's no error and it appears that the message is transmitting for a while before stopping and dropping back to unsent in the outbox suggests that the connection between eM Client and your mail server has been lost during the send.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 pm 
welcoming committee

I will pursue all these leads tomorrow when I am a little fresher. But as regards large attachments, eM Client is working well on my Win 7 computer. But not so on my Win 10 computer going through the same mail server. That's what is confusing to me.

Before I purchased eM Client, I installed the full-capability trial version on my older Win 7 computer. Everything worked fine, including attaching ~10 MB video files to my emails. So then I purchased eM Client Pro for my Win 10 computer and encountered this large-file attachment problem.

Steve, as regards losing connection during send, that is a possibility. I live in a rural area where I only have fairly-slow DSL, so I may be encountering some type of server timeout. But only on my Win 10 computer and not my Win 7?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I do hope that eM Client support can resolve this for you. I'd hate to see yet another mystery issue! Although, that does support my sig line. :-) "...always an adventure..."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:55 pm 

I have done a quick look to see if eM Client allows for a specified time out and have yet to find a time out setting. That does not mean there is none, just that I haven't found. I still say that the next step is to contact their VIP support.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 am 
welcoming committee

I also did a search of eM Client Help and their Community forum and could find nothing regarding timeout settings. I will open a VIP ticket with them later this morning. I've done that twice before on other issues...they always responded, but it took them a couple of days.

I am beginning to believe that it is a timeout issue. I have very slow DSL service where I live; typically my download speed is between 3.5 and 4.0 Mbps, and my upload speed is between 0.15 and 0.4 Mbps (the price I pay for living out in the boonies among the animals). So as you can see, it takes awhile for me to send an email with a large attachment. I just ran the AT&T speed test and it reported that for a file size of 35 MB, it would take 'infinity' minutes to upload.

In fact, when I try to send an email with a large attachment, an eM Client window pops up that says something like "you are about to send a large file and it and it may take awhile....are you sure you want to send it, yes or no".

Using WLM on this Win 10 computer, I was always able to upload a 10 MB video attachment in 2-3 minutes, and I never got such a warning.

Thanks for helping me...I will keep you posted on my findings.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 pm 

I guess that I have the best of both worlds but sometimes I wouldn't mind living in the boonies as do you. As it is I live in a pretty small town that has good internet that gets me 116 Mb/sec down and I have a nature reserve right behind my apartments.

Just as a thought have you ever considered the Dish Network or Direct TV for internet?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

I looked into Satellite Internet when we thought we were moving to Virginia where cable and DSL weren't an option to the address. The latency is terrible and they do have a pretty low usage cap even for their most expensive plans. Had we moved, I planned to go terrestrial wireless, though they needed to do a survey to insure I actually could get signal.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:19 pm 

After I posted I wnet to the Dish Network site and was rather disappointed with the packages. The speeds were also slower than I expected.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea, Dish Network is not really a good option where I live....too expensive for what you get. Plus when it rains hard (and it frequently does) you lose the satellite signal just like with the TV.

When I first moved here, fixed or terrestrial wireless was available in our neighborhood. A man owing the tower and equipment shot a signal from his antenna across the lake. Then from there it was relayed to a resident on the island where I live; this guy had a relay tower and we all pointed our small antennas toward his house. The service and price were good; unfortunately, the two men involved later died and no one resumed the service.

About that time our little mom & pop phone company started their DSL service. I was one of the first subscribers so I got 6 months of free service for being a 'beta tester'. Their speeds have continually improved and since I am a retiree in no hurry, I can live with that.

But I have to admit, Jay, I am a little envious of your connection speeds and your backyard nature reserve. Do you have many animals on the reserve; if so, what kind?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 pm 

A lot of geese and ducks along with black winged blackbirds. Off the reserve but close is a nesting area of heron. Within an hours drive you are likely to see a lot of eagles. There are also a lot of deer. Where I am the deer are all white tail but at the local V.A., at a bit higher altitude, there are a lot of mule deer. About a year and a half back we had a visit by a black bear that looked to be about a yearling. He/she wandered around the nature reserve and apartments for a while then went away. There was one young mule deer that I sort of made friends with, they are almost like pets at the V.A.. One day I was there visiting and the danged critter kept coming up to me and head butting lightly. Dawned on me that I had an orange in my pocket on the side it was butting. Took out the orange and offered... Who would figure that a mule deer would love oranges.

On the front side of the apartments is a decent sized open field that has a Nye of pheasants. Had to look up what a group of pheasants is called and it is a Nye.

You can drive an hour to higher altitude and there are a lot of big horn sheep and elk along with moose.

While this is all totally off topic and we are so strict on that... :mrgreen: Here is my mule deer friend. I swear that, with the ears, they must have some rabbit in them. :) You can tell how afraid of me the critter is considering it was about ten feet away. ;)
Attachment:
GEDC0720.JPG
GEDC0720.JPG [ 2.99 MiB | Viewed 5758 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:09 am 
welcoming committee

Well, this is a happy posting! Yesterday I contacted the eM Client Pro Help Desk about my problem of not being able to send emails with large attachments. This morning I got a reply asking for a screen shot of any error message (there were none) and a copy of the Operations Log file.

So I thought I would try once again in order to send them a current Operations Log. But this time the send worked! Twice I sent an email with a rather large video file attached....one was an 8.9 MB avi file and the other was a 3.7 MB mp4 file. I had tried to send each of these before with no success.

But this time both were successfully sent in a very reasonable time frame. I don't know what happened to correct the situation, but it is now working and I am a happy camper. Sorry about the confusion, and thanks for everyone's help. :cboy1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email