Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm 
welcoming committee

I use Windows Live Mail on my Win 10 computer. Starting about a month ago, the email text showing on my screen starting looking a little muddled or weird, as follows:
- As I page down the email text (using either my mouse wheel or the down arrow on side of screen), the text begins to have lines across the words. Sometimes these are single lines cutting the words in half, and sometimes they are double lines located below the words. These lines are very faint and the text can still be read.
- But if I then page up the email text, there are no lines cutting across the text. The ones that were there disappear.

This doesn't happen any other time. No problems when I am reading a Word document on the screen. No problems when I am reading screen text from a website. It is happening only when I am reading an incoming or outgoing email in WLM. And if I try to copy/paste some email text to attach to this post, the lines disappear.

Any ideas on what is causing this and/or what WLM setting I might need to change? Thanks in advance....

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

I can't think of any setting that would cause that, but it has been ages since I last used Windows Live Mail. It certainly sounds like a display rendering issue. Perhaps changing the default reading font or font size would help.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I went to the screen for default reading fonts and encoding. Well, that was a crap shoot, as there were many options that I just don't understand. So I didn't change anything. Nor have I ever changed any of these settings, unless something was done in a recent Windows 10 update (my problem started about a month ago).

Attached is the screen that I see for reading fonts. Any suggestions as to what I might need to change?

I did notice that my problem disappeared if I selected to read a message in plain text format. But that doesn't work for me. I like reading my incoming messages in the font size and color that the sender used. Most senders know to use a font size 18 because of my aging eyesight, lol.
Attachment:
fonts.JPG
fonts.JPG [ 45.05 KiB | Viewed 5108 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

The basic problem is that Windows Live Mail, although it still works, is no longer supported. So, yes, something in Windows 10 could be causing the problem.
Thanks for the picture of the settings. The only thing I'd consider changing in there would be the font size -- try different sizes to see if larger (or smaller) eliminates the problem.
In your Windows 10 display settings, under Scale and Layout, what is your setting? Does is say "n%(recommended)" [n being a number like 100 or sometimes larger for high density displays]?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The basic problem is that Windows Live Mail, although it still works, is no longer supported. So, yes, something in Windows 10 could be causing the problem.
Thanks for the picture of the settings. The only thing I'd consider changing in there would be the font size -- try different sizes to see if larger (or smaller) eliminates the problem.
Steve, I tried several different larger and smaller sizes....didn't fix my problem.

In your Windows 10 display settings, under Scale and Layout, what is your setting? Does is say "n%(recommended)" [n being a number like 100 or sometimes larger for high density displays]?
My display setting is 150% (because of weak eyes). I tried 100% and 125%, but that didn't fix my problem.

However, I have just noticed one thing. There are three panes on my WLM screen...Reading Pane, Message List, and Folders List. Normally I just click on an incoming email in the Message List and it opens up in the Reading Pane (with the other two panes still on my screen). This is when I encounter my text problem.

Now, if I double click on an incoming email, then it opens up and consumes the full screen, i.e., the other two panes temporarily disappear. In this 'full screen' mode, I no longer have the weird text problem. Any idea why this is?

I do appreciate your help...….

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is probably totally off base but is something I'd probably try on my system. Artifacts (the lines) on a display are usually either a video card or memory problem. Since this only happens with Live Mail I'd tend to rule out the video card.

You would think that the same would be the case with memory but that is not necessarily true. I believe that you do not like opening up your case but I'd open it up and try one memory stick at a time to see if it only happens with a specific memory stick. There IS an issue with this test though. The problem is that running just one stick at a time means that the email may not go to the problem area on the stick... that is if there is a problem. Still, if it is a memory issue, just re-seating them could help.

Then there is my standby thing to do, removing all power.

See if Steve has any other options first but this is something I'd probably try.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Based on your last post, the issue is specific to the reading pane in Windows Live Mail on your PC.
Thanks for checking the various display settings to see if they would have any impact.
Sadly, my best suggestion is to use the workaround that you've discovered. You should be able to turn off the reading pane -- there may be an option under View to turn it off.
Since the problem is very specific to the reading pane in WLM and you've not experienced any other odd display issues, I can't imagine this is memory/RAM related, but as Jay noted it is certainly possible -- however, quite the long shot.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:28 pm 

Steve, I totally agree that it is a long shot, and I'd try removing all power first, but it is still something that I'd try. Just think of the video issue I had a few days ago. The chances of a fan's power cable somehow becoming disconnected allowing dust to build up is also a long shot when everything pointed to a blown video card. Yet that long shot was the case in that issue.

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with your assessment of my suggestion. It is just that, to me, when other options have been tried a long shot may be the last thing to try. ;) LOL! Also remember that I'm a hardware person and have a tendency to look there first in a lot of cases. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay - It's not that I don't like opening my case, as I have opened many cases in the past. It's that my tower sits on the floor, and getting down to it and back up is very difficult for me these days (especially the getting back up part, lol). But I probably need to do that someday, if for no other reason to clean out any dust that might have accumulated.

@Steve - I think I will just use my workaround, as you suggested. Since it just suddenly happened about a month ago, I'm thinking it had to do with some Windows update feature or a WLM quirk that is no longer being supported.

Thanks to both of you for your inputs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 pm 

By any chance was it also about a month ago that you installed the 2018 fall Windows 10 major build? You mentioned updates but not specifically if you meant a major build. If so that would give credence to my memory thought but not in relation to a memory stick being faulty.

Don't ask me to prove it but, in my case, it is obvious that that this build update changed how Windows handles memory. I often have several 'small' games open at the same time and minimized to the Taskbar. Before the fall update it would take ~5 seconds for one to reopen but, after the update, it is a second or two. This tells me that there were changes made to how Windows handles memory.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, the last major build (version 1809) was installed on 12/16/18. I guess that is what you are calling the fall build. I only mentioned updates being a possibility because strange things (some good, some quirky) seem to happen when M/S updates my system.

Now I could be off a little when I say my problem started about a month ago. It might go back to mid-December.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:45 pm 

Curious to know if this issue persists after you switched to eM Client.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Curious to know if this issue persists after you switched to eM Client.

No, it did not. However, there is another text quirk that does occur in eM Cient.

Let's say I prepare an email using 18 point Comic Sans font and send it to a friend. If the friend replies to my email, then the font size of my original email is reduced in the reply. I'll try and show an example tomorrow, but it's past my bedtime.

Also (and I will report this on my original post), I am no longer experiencing the freeze or lockup when the computer has been idle for awhile. I think changing the power setting for my hard drive to never turn off did the trick. More later....

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email