Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Website security advisor
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:43 pm 
welcoming committee

I know I asked something similar back in 2017 but is there a web advisor security software that is automatically launched when using 'any' browser? I used to use WOT but it doesn't seem to be on Opera when I use it. I'm not sure even if it's on Chrome or Vivaldi. I haven't used FF much since it came up as non secure when I logged into CH.

So is there a web advisor program that is just launched when we use a browser of any kind to warn us of 'Red Sites' or does WOT need to be installed say as an App on all browsers? And are Extensions and Apps the same thing, just depends on the browser?

I am so far behind the times I feel like I'm in kindergarten! :( I don't even have a smartphone or iphone.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I know what you mean as to falling behind Katy. :) Since, as said in another thread, you are considering MBAM Premium, it does the job. As to my understanding what happens is that you go to a site and MBAM automatically scans the content of the page being loaded. It is so quick you don't even notice. If MBAM detects anything malicious it just refuses to allow the page to load throwing up a basically blank page saying that it has blocked due to malicious content.

Some sites will appear as safe but throw up a popup window that contains malicious code. MBAM also checks these and will block malicious popups.

I say this a bit tongue in cheek but only partially. I'd LOVE to see Microsoft buy out MBAM but keep the crew. I'd then LOVE to see MBAM incorporated into Windows just like Defender. I truly believe that the normal user would need no other protection.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:24 pm 
welcoming committee

So Jay, by installing the Premium MBAM, it would automatically scan browser windows no matter what browser I'm using?

I am a bit leery now about MBAM because of the major slowdown I had this morning. Even though the trial of the Premium was only installed on the Win 10 laptop, both laptops are using the same router so maybe one laptop performance would affect the other when it's as major a slowdown as it was this morning. The other laptop was slow but not to the extent the Win 10 was!

That too brings up that it is scanning email for realtime? This all started first thing this morning after having the internet disabled all nite. If realtime requires a lot of cpu and/or ram, this Win10 laptop has: 5.47 gb useable ram all apps sharing, 2.50 ghz video AMD processor (not sure if this is 2.50 ghz cpu or video graphics), & 438gb free disk, this is all with Malwarebytes not installed yet.

And I would need to allow adding MBAM premium on the Win10 and MBAM and Office 365 on the Win 7. Would I be better off getting a 3rd laptop w/Win10 laptop? I didn't mention before but this Win10 laptop that is several Win OS's old can't run on battery anymore, I need to keep it plugged in. I didn't want to buy a new battery since the laptop is so old.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm 

Phew, a lot of questions and I don't know that I have all the answers.

First off I can't say that MBAM will block malicious content for ALL browsers. I can only say that it will for IE, Edge and Firefox.

The only way to see if MBAM caused your issues would be to re-install the trial and see if the issue returned. Since the trial was only on one of the systems I truly doubt it was the issue. I suspect that SuperFetch was the issue claiming all the drive access. The two systems being connected to the router should not be a factor as there was no network set up. Your posts read like they are two separate systems connected to the router for internet access. In this case I can't see how one system would affect the other.

I can't say for fact if MBAM scans emails or not. Your available drive space is fine at 438GB free space. I'm confused that you say there is 5.47GB usable ram when previously you said that the system had 4GB RAM installed when asking if your system could run Office 365...

Should you get another laptop? I have no idea. If, when things are right, the systems run fine then no. As to the battery being blown; it is not a real factor as long as it is cool with you to always have it plugged in. I would advise, as long as the system will still run, that the bad battery be removed and the battery bay left empty.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Just a couple topics, that MBAM monitors browsers IE, Edge and Firefox that you know of, does that means its because those are the browsers you use with your MBAM? Also, is IE and Edge the same browser or are they 2 separate ones?

I agree that it was likely SuperFetch that was slowing things down. That the router was not a connecting cause is good.

The available space I gave 5.47 useable is for this Win10 laptop (main machine because it contains Office), the 4gb was on the Win7 laptop. I know this will get confusing but I'll break them both down tomorrow soon, it would help me too, to have all in one spot.

Ok on a new laptop, it depends if my 2 current machines can handle both the Office 365 and MBAM premium but can figure that out down the road.

The only reason I was keeping the battery in was because moving the laptop from lap to table sometimes would edge the power cord out. If I remove the battery totally, would I still be able to restart the laptop if the power cord edged out again?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm 

Yes, my knowledge of MBAM covering IE, Edge and Firefox is due to they being the browsers that I use. No, IE and Edge are not the same, totally different browsers.

OK, I understand the RAM difference now between systems.

If you are moving the laptop with the bad battery id COULD be dangerous to remove the battery if the battery will keep it going long enough to put back the plug for the power brick. The thing is that the total removal of power can harm the hard drive if a write to the drive is in progress. This can actually pretty much destroy the drive. Of course you could shut down the system before moving or, even, keep your finger on the power cord while moving. Personally I'd remove the battery and shut down the system before moving.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email